Could Nikon be shutting down?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I keep hearing about the possibility of Nikon closing its doors. The company has been getting pretty bad rep from what I've heard. Now with the earthquake stopping a good portion of their production and Nikon shutting down their popular rebates. DSLRs are not selling as well anymore and people leaving the brand for Sony and other mirrorless camera systems just because the cameras are smaller, lighter and "innovated".

With all the recent issues Nikon has been having with their cameras, I almost believe that Nikon will shut down in the near future..maybe tomorrow, but not today.

This certainly isn't the first time I have heard the Nikon shutting down rumor, how many times has the company been accused of shutting down? Every time Nikon releases their quarterly reports, the rumors of the company shutting down start floating.

What are your thoughts? Do you think Nikon will be closing its doors in the near future?

Don't hate me, I just did this to start a discussion.

Well considering that they still manage to make an unbelievable amount money every quarter my guess is this rumor is as chock full of b.s. as all the previous rumors that said the same.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Every time Nikon releases their quarterly reports, the rumors of the company shutting down start floating.
and yet...

I keep hearing rumors of other camera companies shutting down because mirrorless cameras just aren't selling at the level needed for profitability.

Wasn't there a rumor of Nikon buying Samsungs' mirrorless camera technology ?
Aren't there rumors of Nikon keeping new designs coming with patents for mirrorless cameras galore.

I think everyone will abandon all cameras for their cell phones at some point.

Maybe GoPro will buy Nikon ?

Well considering that they still manage to make an unbelievable amount money every quarter my guess is this rumor is as chock full of b.s. as all the previous rumors that said the same.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk
It's not just profit.

It's World Domination.

If you can't dominate the world in cameras, just close the doors and go home.
:)

and it's not chump change .. it's chimpanzee change.

It's World Domination.

If you can't dominate the world in cameras, just close the doors and go home.
:)

You can if your only using your camera business as a cover for your actual production line.. Giant robots with lasers on them.

Actually the chimpanzees all switched to that crazy british system where they don't make change anymore. :)

If that's true, then photography will be no more. I'd certainly give it up, because I'm not going to take pictures with a flipping phone. Phones suck, no dedicated controls, no viewfinder, no grip, tiny sensors and everyone has one. Who would pay multi thousands of dollars to shoot a wedding with a dang iPhone?

In my opinion of course...

You can if your only using your camera business as a cover for your actual production line.. Giant robots with lasers on them.

Actually the chimpanzees all switched to that crazy british system where they don't make change anymore. :)
From the Prototype department
Gort_Firing.jpg

I didn't know chimpanzee's could make change to begin with ...

Rumors are just that rumors.It's all BS until it actually happens. I seriously doubt Nikon would have come out with the D500 and D5 if that was true.

If that's true, then photography will be no more. I'd certainly give it up, because I'm not going to take pictures with a flipping phone. Phones suck, no dedicated controls, no viewfinder, no grip, tiny sensors and everyone has one. Who would pay multi thousands of dollars to shoot a wedding with a dang iPhone?

What if phones (of the future) would have the same image quality and controls that DSLR/mirrorless cameras have? What if they could be linked to flashes/strobes? What if you could take, and edit, raw images right on your phone? These very well could be a possibility, depending on a number of factors.

Don't discount an entire, evolving industry. We don't know what the future holds. :smile:

Rumors are just that rumors.It's all BS until it actually happens. I seriously doubt Nikon would have come out with the D500 and D5 if that was true.
This is very true.
Normally a company that is short on cash for development pushes off product launches, etc to some future date as they try to survive. Case in point just look at GoPro who have been having a hard time launching their drone (supposed to have been last Summer, now not until the Winter Holiday season). I think, they'll either be in bankruptcy or a stupendious holiday sales season will save them for a bit longer.

Nikon on the other hand .. D5, D500, new lenses, new patents,
and they're actually expanding their warranty coverage on their cameras ==> Great news: you can now repair some Nikon grey market cameras at third party US repair facilities | Nikon Rumors

What if phones (of the future) would have the same image quality and controls that DSLR/mirrorless cameras have? What if they could be linked to flashes/strobes? What if you could take, and edit, raw images right on your phone? These very well could be a possibility, depending on a number of factors.

Don't discount an entire, evolving industry. We don't know what the future holds. :smile:

I'm pretty sure this wont fit in your pocket. Unless in the future we wear extremely baggy clothes.

*links only for copyrighted images, please*

Attachments

• z2lqmah79jyvusoizzme.jpg
    z2lqmah79jyvusoizzme.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 480
Last edited by a moderator:

Samsung is moving that way already with improved aperture control on their new Samsung Galaxy S7

Leica is even helping in it ==> Huawei P9 vs. Galaxy S7: Even a Leica Can't Beat Samsung

Most reactions

New Topics

Back