Transferring LR Files

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For sometime I used a laptop for editing, it wasn't an issue to shoot tethered with it. Now my new setup is a desktop, and not convenient to tether. My plan was to continue to use the laptop to capture the tethered images because its easier to review on the fly. I don't plan on editing on the laptop, merely capture the images and do a first round cull. So what's the best method of getting them from my laptop to desktop??? Do I just delete the culled images from the camera SD card and transfer those to the desktop. Or do I save the images from LR file on the laptop to a zip drive and import to the desktop??? If I did any editing on the laptop, I'd have to either save the xmp or create a new catalog, which seems like a lot of extra work.

Am I over thinking it???? How do others handle this????

I'd just export the keepers from laptop to a flash drive, place them in one of the regular folders on the desktop, then import as usual.

I have done it two different ways using my iPad while traveling and then transferring to my desktop at home.

1. As noted above, transfer the desired files to a USB device and then to your desktop. This has been the fastest and easiest. I have a newer iPad that has the USB-C port. The part that is the biggest pain is that LR mobile for the iPad wants to sync your photos to iCloud which can be time consuming. You have to remember to keep turning sync off before downloading the photos from the camera. If you are running LR classic on your laptop you probably don't have to do this.

2. The second is to take advantage of the sync feature. Sync to the cloud and then down to your desktop when you get home. But remember to keep sync off until you have done all your culling. Otherwise you waste a lot of time and space transferring files you may not want.

LR Classic doesn't offer tethering via WIFI, but supposedly there's a hack where you can upload via WIFI to a file, and tell LR Auto Import new files from there. Need to look into that more.

My internet speed rules out using the cloud, but I can utilize my private network to to transfer files either via WIFI or cable to a network drive.

In Win you can connect to another device via wifi as long as permissions are set. I do that between the office laptop and the office desktop. It's an easy way to transfer files back and forth.

From laptop search for the machine name (on the local network) with File Manager, the just drag the desktop machine icon (really a folder) to the laptop and select (Create Shortcut). Then goto to desktop machine and do the same, dragging a shortcut for the laptop.

I'm not sure how to do it on a Mac

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back