The Coffee House

Everyone else had their say except for me, my post got deleted...

What happened to flu and pneumonia in that time..? šŸ™„
Apparently for some the earth got flatter, too...

Moving right along:

Who's grappling with chronic GAS as summer approaches???

Everyone else had their say except for me, my post got deleted...

@SquarePeg explained it earlier there are strong feelings both ways on the subject, that aren't necessarily appropriate in the open forum. As a supporting member you have access to the members only boards which are less restricted.

Moving on.šŸ˜‰

Not me, I've been in a photography funk for a few months now. Several projects I want to do, but seems like to many other things pulling on me.

Thatā€™s enough. Take it to the supporting member forums if you want to bicker about it.

Also, feel free to use the Ignore button instead of responding if you donā€™t want to see future posts from a specific member.

14 months until retirement?!
Yes, Social Security levels off with only annual increases. There should be a new contract company coming in, and they will likely make me an offer, but I donā€™t want to sign a one-year commitment. I can go at the end of next May but Iā€™ll finish out the contract, and stay through June.

Unless they really piss me off.

Last edited:
@snowbear I retired at 57, went back part time consulting, retired for good at 62. 10+ yrs later I swear there are many times when I seriously think about going back to work to get some rest.

Last edited:
@snowbear I retired at 57, went back part time consulting, retired for good at 62. 10+ yrs I swear there are many times when I seriously think about going back to work to get some rest.
I retired from the County in 2009 (51), went full time at UMD for three semesters and got the BS Geography in Winter 2010. Did an 11 month intern stint at NOAA in Coastal Office, prepping data for Electronic Marine Nav Charts, then the internship at the County Fire/EMS Department before being picked up as a contractor. I sat, idle, for two years before the Fire thing came along. Iā€™ve been doing the GIS thing, professionally, for almost 12 years, now.

Iā€™m looking forward to the next career: art, woodworking, and hanging out with my three favorite ladies (MLW, MLSIL, and the kitty. Maybe four if a puppy shows up.

I have less than 14 months (planned).

I have 14, too!

Years, that is šŸ˜­

It could be worse. I finally got the amount of service I can buy back, and I can get credit for 8.5 of my 13 years of adjuncting. Of course, it will take me 10 years to finish paying it all back, but when I do, I will have a total of 26 years of service instead of 18. Then if I can manage 4 more years to get to 30, I think that's when I will get my full pension. Or maybe it's after 25. I can't remember. I just remember hearing that it's better for me to make it to 30 if I can.

I have 14, too!

Years, that is šŸ˜­

It could be worse. I finally got the amount of service I can buy back, and I can get credit for 8.5 of my 13 years of adjuncting. Of course, it will take me 10 years to finish paying it all back, but when I do, I will have a total of 26 years of service instead of 18. Then if I can manage 4 more years to get to 30, I think that's when I will get my full pension. Or maybe it's after 25. I can't remember. I just remember hearing that it's better for me to make it to 30 if I can.
It will go by quickly. I have a hard time believing Iā€™ve been doing this for almost 12.

I retired from the County in 2009 (51), went full time at UMD for three semesters and got the BS Geography in Winter 2010. Did an 11 month intern stint at NOAA in Coastal Office, prepping data for Electronic Marine Nav Charts, then the internship at the County Fire/EMS Department before being picked up as a contractor. I sat, idle, for two years before the Fire thing came along. Iā€™ve been doing the GIS thing, professionally, for almost 12 years, now.

Iā€™m looking forward to the next career: art, woodworking, and hanging out with my three favorite ladies (MLW, MLSIL, and the kitty. Maybe four if a puppy shows up.
Sounds like you have a good plan! I will retire in a few years - 3 or 4 max. Iā€™ve been working since I was a teenager and Iā€™m ready to spend my time photographing, painting, traveling and gardening.

I figure I've got at least another 10 to go, which will put me in my early 70s. We're playing catch up, because 20 years Enlisted Military does not build up a great retirement. In the meantime, I'm working on turning my backyard into my retirement paradise, at least during the nicer months of the year, which there are about three in the Spring and three in Autumn, so that's not too shoddy. Of course, all of this is based on my keeping healthy.

yes and no. There are always things on the wish list but I tend to shrug it off and only get what I really need (82mm CP). My biggest problem is ā€œthe listā€ spans photo, art supplies, and Jeep parts.

I donā€™t travel well, beyond a couple hundred miles. Iā€™d love to get to Ireland and Scotland but donā€™t really see it happening. Maybe a few trips to the Maritimes after we relocate to New England.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back