Canon A-1 ASA Index Mark

uncle grinch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just picked up a used Canon A-1 (this is my third one since 1979 or so. Don’t know why, but I sold them after going digital) My issue is the index mark on the ASA dial is no longer marked in white. I believe I found the mark as noted in my picture at the 100 mark. Had to get the light just right and enlarge my picture to see it. If this is it, I’m going to put a very small dab of white paint to make it easier to see. Do y’all confirm this is correct?

I just picked up a used Canon A-1 (this is my third one since 1979 or so. Don’t know why, but I sold them after going digital) My issue is the index mark on the ASA dial is no longer marked in white. I believe I found the mark as noted in my picture at the 100 mark. Had to get the light just right and enlarge my picture to see it. If this is it, I’m going to put a very small dab of white paint to make it easier to see. Do y’all confirm this is correct?

Would this camera be classed as an antique? How much are they worth?

Would this camera be classed as an antique? How much are they worth?
I wouldn’t call it antique. Vintage is a better word. The Canon A Series cameras are very popular and use the FD mount lens. Depending on condition, they can run from less than $100 to over $300 for the body only. I also have a EF model which is an FD mount.

I still have the camera I bought in 1979 to go with my Canon AE-1 and to me it's priceless. Sadly, many of the cameras on the market have been well used and some even abused, especially when ill-informed people have tried to cure the 'Canon Cough' by injecting oil willy-nilly into the camera. Personally, without a cast-iron guarantee, I wouldn't pay more than £40 - £50 for a body complete with the standard 50mm f1.8 lens, but that's just me., 'Caveat Emptor' as the saying goes.

I still have the camera I bought in 1979 to go with my Canon AE-1 and to me it's priceless. Sadly, many of the cameras on the market have been well used and some even abused, especially when ill-informed people have tried to cure the 'Canon Cough' by injecting oil willy-nilly into the camera. Personally, without a cast-iron guarantee, I wouldn't pay more than £40 - £50 for a body complete with the standard 50mm f1.8 lens, but that's just me., 'Caveat Emptor' as the saying goes.
Sadly, many mid-market 70s-80s SLRs are at their last stop before the landfill. Often near-zero repair resources whose sometimes inept services cost way more than the cameras' worth are killers. This makes them borderline disposable. In 2024, film camera hunters might do well to avoid models like these and go for the last generations cranked out before digital's arrival.

Most reactions

Back