The Coffee House

@Snow ideally the best practice would be to remove the old flooring. That said, I once put down ceramic tile over an old tile floor. Put down a layer of leveling cement, then laid the tile. It still looked good many years later when the house sold.

If it were possible, I'd remove the linoleum and polish the underlying concrete, but the possibilty of asbestos changes everything. I think either of the two options will be fine.

If it were possible, I'd remove the linoleum and polish the underlying concrete, but the possibilty of asbestos changes everything. I think either of the two options will be fine.

Test kits are available on Amazon for less than $30. However that opens a can of worms for the future, if it tests positive, and you don't remove it, you'd be obligated to disclose it if you ever sell the house.

Hi all,power cut here last night. Went out and put the extension lead to the inverter, lights and sleep apnoea machine… just working out how to power phone and medi alert..

Test kits are available on Amazon for less than $30. However that opens a can of worms for the future, if it tests positive, and you don't remove it, you'd be obligated to disclose it if you ever sell the house.
Dunno how asbestos is handled down your way but removal and abatement procedures are federal matters up here. DIY removal is not a "don't ask-don't tell" affair. It will get you eventually if you ever sell.
Asbestos-contaminated vermiculite got shot into attics all around Ontario in the 1970s when the federal government offered generous rebates to upgrade insulation. People now either don't know or care but a (smart)prospective buyer can ask for a test. Removal and replacement is the owner's responsibility. I saw this movie in late 2019 when I bought a house. The owner was pissed but it was either a discount or removal and replacement at their expense for the asking price to stand. Not pretty but it got me a huge insulation upgrade. Removal was very involved and painstaking.

removal and abatement procedures are federal matters up here

Any issues that you have "knowledge" and don't disclose is pretty serious here. However most homeowners don't have the structural knowledge to know something is wrong anyhow. That's why the buyer typically gets an inspection. When I was flipping I would forego the inspection with a cash offer as I pretty much knew what I was getting into.

No real plan to remove the old floor. Id we were staying for a long time, that would be different. Very doubtful we will even replace the existing studs in the basement, just replace the paneling. In all likelihood, we will be selling and relocating in a couple years (I plan to retire in 14 months).

If you wordle, you must check this out. Solving 8 words simultaneously. And they’re on game 800+ so you can go back and solve as many previous games as you like.

This reminded me of a funny vacation story. We once rented a cabin on Sebago Lake in Maine. The first morning that we were there there were some ducks and I decided to feed them. The next morning they came again and I fed them again. The next day they came an hour earlier and woke us up, and I got up and fed them. The day after that, they came at sunrise to wake us up, making all their noise. I feel bad for whoever rented the cabin after us lol
We made the mistake last year of feeding the Chachalaca on our patio in Mexico. They then showed up in big groups each evening pecking at the slider door. They are super noisy too!

102523_110smW.jpg

Crossed another milestone today, I'm officially down 46 lbs since I started dieting in November. Good news is my butt is the same size as HS, bad news is it's sagging about 4" lower🙄 I'm now the same weight and waist size I was in HS so time to start replacing pants, I look like a refuge with my pants cinched up. Doctor appointment on Tuesday, hopefully he'll tell me I can up my daily calories and level out.

It's surprising that the "C19" virus only started out about 4 years ago. I thought about it because today, I lost a mask. Yes, I still wear them. Oddly, not because of concern for viruses or germs, but because I tend to have allergies. I tried going without a mask, and I found that I encountered a clear difference when I was on the street without one and so I decided to keep on wearing them.

Anyway, as I was saying, this got me thinking about how short a time it has actually been since this all started. It feel like I have always worn a mask. Most people in this city do not wear them. I think that they were only mandatory for about a year or two. I have not bought masks often. I quickly accumulated a bunch (10?) and I haven't thought about them since. I wash them in small batches, and keep on using them. I expect to stop using them eventually, but I'm in no hurry.

Granola Bars Can Go Stale

This was a bit unexpected: A long time ago I bought some Nature Valley Crunchy Almond granola bars. I tend to not pay attention to when I eat them because I expect the crunchy ones to last "forever". Some of the bars got pushed aside, and about a week ago I decided to open this box. I looked at the date and they should have been eaten before 2021. But I was not concerned. Anyway, they do go stale eventually. The bars had a mildly stale taste despite still being hard. I know a bit about stale food. The taste/smell doesn't necessarily tell you how bad it is. The possibly serious poison is tasteless. I'll pay more attention next time.

Most reactions

Back