Tablet vs. Chromebook vs. ???

B&H is telling me there is no GPS support in the Samsung S7 Tablet only in the S5e. I think they're right., Then that means it's using the cell towers to determine location. Are they nuts?

B&H is telling me there is no GPS support in the Samsung S7 Tablet only in the S5e. I think they're right., Then that means it's using the cell towers to determine location. Are they nuts?

Hmm that is not correct. The S7, as far as I know, has to in-tablet GPS.

In fact the specs from Samsung says it does. I doubt there are many if any tablets without GPS these days. Such a cheap feature

I just bought a Chromebook last year at the start of Covid, and honestly, if all you want to do is surf the web, it's great, but it has no storage and many apps I use on my laptop will not work. Lots of programs are not compatible with them. I really miss my Ipad I used exclusively a couple years ago but you said no Apple. I have never owned anything from Samsung, so can't help you there. I know I would prefer a tablet over my Chromebook.

Regarding GPS, assuming you have cell towers connected, will google navigation and current location on maps work without an actual hardware GPS? Could you do this using your regular cellphone as a hotspot?

Google maps will show your current location as the current location as your IP address for the device connected to the internet, so if you're connect your tablet to a hotspot phone then it would be the phone location, if you move the phone the location changes. No "internal" GPS hardware is required in your table to do that. I just connected tablet to hotspot, to verify it will navigate from either the web version of maps or the apps.[/QUOTE]
So how does your tablet know its location? Is it seeing the GPSr in the cellphone?

In fact the specs from Samsung says it does. I doubt there are many if any tablets without GPS these days. Such a cheap feature
I couldn't find that in the spec I read. They were silent. Could you provide me with the link?

If you just Google S7 and gps you will get tons of links stating that it has it. Or go to Samsung website Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 & S7+ | Samsung Canada

Samsung tablets are good hardware but I have an the bloat to in Samsung products that you can't get rid of. I have one of their tablets myself as a gift but I usually tend to go with someone like ASUS that has a lot less. But can't go wrong with a Samsung

Regarding GPS, assuming you have cell towers connected, will google navigation and current location on maps work without an actual hardware GPS? Could you do this using your regular cellphone as a hotspot?

Google maps will show your current location as the current location as your IP address for the device connected to the internet, so if you're connect your tablet to a hotspot phone then it would be the phone location, if you move the phone the location changes. No "internal" GPS hardware is required in your table to do that. I just connected tablet to hotspot, to verify it will navigate from either the web version of maps or the apps.
So how does your tablet know its location? Is it seeing the GPSr in the cellphone?[/QUOTE]

Your still thinking that tablets don't have gps.

I couldn't find that in the spec I read. They were silent. Could you provide me with the link?

If you just Google S7 and gps you will get tons of links stating that it has it. Or go to Samsung website Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 & S7+ | Samsung Canada

Samsung tablets are good hardware but I have an the bloat to in Samsung products that you can't get rid of. I have one of their tablets myself as a gift but I usually tend to go with someone like ASUS that has a lot less. But can't go wrong with a Samsung
Thnaks. I couldn't;t find it in the US version. Here's what I found in your Canadian version:
  • Location TechnologyGPS, Glonass, Beidou

Here are the specs from B&H for sensors. They include: Accelerometer, Ambient Light Sensor, Compass, Fingerprint, Gyroscope, Proximity

Samsung 11" Galaxy Tab S7 128GB Tablet (Wi-Fi Only, Mystic Black)

Well I would probably go with the Samsung website specs not B&H's and also the many S7 owners that think they have a gps in their S7.

Seriously though, I think they just made a mistake on B&H.

@Rickbb has a computer with Windows and using a USB gps since there is not one onboard

So how does your tablet know its location? Is it seeing the GPSr in the cellphone?

So how does your tablet know its location? Is

Okay let me clear up the confusion. Samsung US tablet uses "A-GPS" (Assisted Global Positioning System), while it's similar it's not GPS hardware. Not sure about versions in other parts of the world but if its WIFI I'm betting it's A-GPS. As I said earlier, it gets the information from the satellites by using network resources, your internet connection and it's triangulation of cell towers. If your tablet has a simm card and an account with a carrier then its showing the tablet location courtesy of A-GPS, if not then its showing the location of the portal you're connected to. Here's a link to the difference A-GPS vs GPS - Difference and Comparison | Diffen. If you go to Samsung tech support they will tell you you have to be connected to the internet. I just verified this by disconnecting from the wifi on my Samsung tablet and trying Google maps app, it will load the last known information, but will not update anything on location.

Last edited:

Okay let me clear up the confusion. Samsung US tablet uses "A-GPS" (Assisted Global Positioning System), while it's similar it's not GPS hardware. Not sure about versions in other parts of the world but if its WIFI I'm betting it's A-GPS. As I said earlier, it gets the information from the satellites by using network resources, your internet connection and it's triangulation of cell towers. If your tablet has a simm card and an account with a carrier then its showing the tablet location courtesy of A-GPS, if not then its showing the location of the portal you're connected to. Here's a link to the difference A-GPS vs GPS - Difference and Comparison | Diffen. If you go to Samsung tech support they will tell you you have to be connected to the internet. I just verified this by disconnecting from the wifi on my Samsung tablet and trying Google maps app, it will load the last known information, but will not update anything on location.

You do realize that article is 10 years old? I think you will find now that most tablets have actual GPS units in them.

Last edited:

Which Tablet are you using?

It's still confusing. This is what I know. If a device has no GPS receiver, there's no way to know your location unless through coordination of cell towers information which is not as accurate as an on-board GPS receiver. On the other hand, if you have an on board GPS receiver, you can know your location at any time with no connection to the cell tower such as when you're in the woods. Handheld hiking GPS work that way. You can also use Google maps app to navigate on your cellphone if you pre-loaded the Google maps of the area you're in. However, since you have no connection to the cell tower, you can't get current information such as traffic conditions.

Most reactions

Back