Need lens recommendation help Canon Rebel T5

Matthew2474

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I’m getting a sigma 150-600 zoom for my wildlife shots but I’d also like a lens for landscape and street photography.

My budget is is 800$ I’d appreciate any recommendations

Canon EFS 17 85 f4-5.6 my go to lens nice amount of zoom for street photography and @17mm quite wide
Only down side I found is that I now have a lot of dust inside mine from zooming back and forth in a dusty environment. Just take care in that respect, cost wise here in uk second hand/used cost from 99 GBP to 150
As it will cost me nearly 100 pounds to have the lens cleaned, it’s not worth getting cleaned

The 17-40L and 24-105L MK1 would cover all bases here I think and you should be able to pick them both up used for within your budget. I have both and they are fantastic walkabout and general purpose lenses.

Were you particular about getting a zoom lens or prime lens? How about a wide prime lens 28mm, 50mm. It would cover landscape and street. Although you would miss out on a minimal amount of portraits. =]

24-105L MK1

I have the Mark II version of this lens (24-105 andF 4 L) and it is my preferred "walking around" lens, but, on a full frame.

I never put it on the crop sensor as 24 mm is just not wide enough for some landscapes. For that I think you really want something that starts at no more than 18mm like the kit lens that came with it.

Canon EFS 17 85

I'm not familiar with this lens but it sounds interesting.

24-105L MK1

I have the Mark II version of this lens (24-105 andF 4 L) and it is my preferred "walking around" lens, but, on a full frame.

I never put it on the crop sensor as 24 mm is just not wide enough for some landscapes. For that I think you really want something that starts at no more than 18mm like the kit lens that came with it.

Canon EFS 17 85

I'm not familiar with this lens but it sounds interesting.

I should have clarified, is use them on 1.3x crop and FF. The 17-40 is great for landscape either.

Lol damnit so, I picked up a tamaron 17-24mm 3.5-4.5because it was brand new for 200$, loving it so far and now someone on my local craigslist is selling a canon 400mm 5.6L for 500$. I figure I could just but a 1.4 teleconverter on the 400mm if need be instead of getting the 150-600mm sigma. What do you all think about that?

Last edited:
canon 400mm 5.6L for 500$. I figure I could just but a 1.4 teleconverter on the 400mm if need be instead of getting the 150-600mm sigma. What do you all think about that?

I use a 1.4 TC on a new Canon 100-400 L and it works well BUT keep in mind that it becomes F8 and the auto focus works better with more light. I'm actually going to get an R6 for this reason as I have a 2x TC as well making it F 11. The R6 can auto focus with less light than that, I believe down to F 16.

You can't go wrong with great glass and if it is in good shape I would do it but you will likely be upgrading from the T5 next. I had one, but ironically as I got better glass I outgrew it. Used 5D Mark IIIs may be a real bargain this fall or if you want a crop sensor have a look at a used 7D Mark II, but I think they may hold their value better until Canon releases a true pro grade mirrorless crop sensor body.

Lol damnit so, I picked up a tamaron 17-24mm 3.5-4.5because it was brand new for 200$, loving it so far and now someone on my local craigslist is selling a canon 400mm 5.6L for 500$. I figure I could just but a 1.4 teleconverter on the 400mm if need be instead of getting the 150-600mm sigma. What do you all think about that?

I think the 150-600mm will be sharper than the 400mm with the 1.4TC, also you may not be able to AF with an f8 minimum aperture with your current camera.

I think the 150-600mm will be sharper than the 400mm with the 1.4TC, also you may not be able to AF with an f8 minimum aperture with your current camera.

I'd agree with this. I have both these lenses and a 1.4 converter and never bother using it on either lens. Mind you it is a Mark 1 so don't know how a newer one would perform. The 400 f/5.6 is a fantastically sharp lens on its own.

canon 400mm 5.6L for 500$. I figure I could just but a 1.4 teleconverter on the 400mm if need be instead of getting the 150-600mm sigma. What do you all think about that?

I use a 1.4 TC on a new Canon 100-400 L and it works well BUT keep in mind that it becomes F8 and the auto focus works better with more light. I'm actually going to get an R6 for this reason as I have a 2x TC as well making it F 11. The R6 can auto focus with less light than that, I believe down to F 16.

You can't go wrong with great glass and if it is in good shape I would do it but you will likely be upgrading from the T5 next. I had one, but ironically as I got better glass I outgrew it. Used 5D Mark IIIs may be a real bargain this fall or if you want a crop sensor have a look at a used 7D Mark II, but I think they may hold their value better until Canon releases a true pro grade mirrorless crop sensor body.

Ahh I have no attachment to cropped sensors as you can use any glass with full frame just won’t get that full frame benefit correct ?

So from reading all this my cropped sensor won’t perform well with a teleconverter When I go full frame for my next big purchase the teleconverter would actually work well right? I just always here how great that 400mm is and I’ve heard good things about the sigma too of course but I’ve always heard if it’s a good deal go canon glass with canon body when you can.

Thank you all for the comments guys !

So from reading all this my cropped sensor won’t perform well with a teleconverter

The TC works fine on a crop sensor. In fact, on Canon, your effective focal length is increased by 1.6.

So my 400mm with the 2x TC on the crop is over 1000mm...and it will only autofocus in live view on the two cameras I have with dual pixel AF.

I frequently use the TC on a crop sensor for this reason.

But, autofocus is dependent in part on the lens and in part on the camera. I don't know what the minimum aperture is on the T5 but it might not autofocus at all.

Newer cameras are able to AF with less and less light.

Full frames are better in low light.

Bottom line, the camera and lens (and photographer) form a system. Glass is most important but all three must work together.

Ahh I have no attachment to cropped sensors as you can use any glass with full frame just won’t get that full frame benefit correct ?

So from reading all this my cropped sensor won’t perform well with a teleconverter When I go full frame for my next big purchase the teleconverter would actually work well right? I just always here how great that 400mm is and I’ve heard good things about the sigma too of course but I’ve always heard if it’s a good deal go canon glass with canon body when you can.

Thank you all for the comments guys !

No, it's the other way about. You can use EF lenses on crop sensors but you cannot use EF-S lenses on full frame as they can foul the mirror. FD lenses you need a converter for modern cameras.

Your camera should work ok with a teleconveter, but you need to keep the aperture lower than f8. So a lens that's an F4 or faster should be fine. Though AF may be slower and your autofocus points may be limited.

Canon glass does work best on Canon bodies.

Damn guys soo lot has changed

Picked up that cannon 400mm L f5.6
Tamaron 17-24mm f3.5-4.5
And sniped an eos rp with an et-ets mount adapter all of this under 1500$

It happend so fast since these were all at good deals.[emoji23] now I need to work on some of the lens you all recommended

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back