Help with new camera please

Interesting that @ClintLloyd would advise full frame as an "upgrade". FF is the opposite side of the spectrum from the very small frame of the RX10 series. Full frame commits you to heavier and more expensive lenses.

As I empathised in my post, I think a major part of the upgrade is weather sealing which personally gives me peace of mind when I'm out shooting. I believe it's very valuable. There is an increase in IQ in many situations too.

Let's put into context what 'the opposite side of the spectrum' equates to in regards to size. The dimensions of an RX10 are 132.5x94x145mm, it weighs 1095gm. An A7CII which I recommended is 124x71.1x63.4mm, it weighs 514gm. The Tamron 28-200mm weighs 575gm, and their 17-28mm weighs 420gm. The other camera I recommended, the A7IV weighs 659gm.

As I empathised in my post, I think a major part of the upgrade is weather sealing which personally gives me peace of mind when I'm out shooting. I believe it's very valuable. There is an increase in IQ in many situations too.

Let's put into context what 'the opposite side of the spectrum' equates to in regards to size. The dimensions of an RX10 are 132.5x94x145mm, it weighs 1095gm. An A7CII which I recommended is 124x71.1x63.4mm, it weighs 514gm. The Tamron 28-200mm weighs 575gm, and their 17-28mm weighs 420gm. The other camera I recommended, the A7IV weighs 659gm.
When I said "FF is the opposite side of the spectrum" I was referring to the size of the format. FF means full frame.

The RX10 series cameras have small sensors, only about 13mm (IIRC) wide. They are intended for enthusiasts and are pretty good in good light. Four thirds is a bit bigger, APS-C still bigger. These give progressively better results depending on conditions. FF is potentially still better but is more for pros. Of course anyone can use FF, but that format is more expensive and heavier (all else equal). I would not recommend FF for beginners.

Last edited:
The RX10 series cameras have small sensors, only about 13mm (IIRC) wide. They are intended for enthusiasts and are pretty good in good light. Four thirds is a bit bigger, APS-C still bigger. These give progressively better results depending on conditions. FF is potentially still better but is more for pros. Of course anyone can use FF, but that format is more expensive and heavier (all else equal). I would not recommend FF for beginners.

That's where I see it differently, the more expensive bodies have the best AF, they're the most customisable, higher MP allows for more cropping etc. The better lenses are more accurate, they focus quicker, they have better aberration control etc. I couldn't think of any better way for someone to learn about photography than using as high performance kit as they can afford, as it removes the whole 'maybe it's the camera' aspect and allows them to focus on just taking photos. Not to mention, even having a few more complex settings and what not is more to be explored if the person is willing to learn.

Last edited:
read this about using different lens

I would need a kind of adapter but the aperture and exposure modes wouldn’t work because of the electric contacts don’t line up
Not really sure what that means

Last edited:
I just purchased the Canon Eos R a few weeks ago. Sure its older and there are better newer options out there with more features etc. But the price was too good to pass up. ... and quite honestly unless your a pro and even then the camera can only do so much the rest is YOU as a photographer.

read this about using different lens

I would need a kind of adapter but the aperture and exposure modes wouldn’t work because of the electric contacts don’t line up
Not really sure what that means

It means that without compatible contacts the lens won't communicate with the camera. No auto focus, no aperture control. Most lenses have a focus ring that you can manually focus, but many of the newer lenses don't have an aperture ring so without camera contact there would be no setting aperture manually.

That's where I see it differently, the more expensive bodies have the best AF, they're the most customisable, higher MP allows for more cropping etc. The better lenses are more accurate, they focus quicker, they have better aberration control etc. I couldn't think of any better way for someone to learn about photography than using as high performance kit as they can afford, as it removes the whole 'maybe it's the camera' aspect and allows them to focus on just taking photos. Not to mention, even having a few more complex settings and what not is more to be explored if the person is willing to learn.
Sure. If you want the best, get FF. (Or MF, actually.)

Someone getting into photography and considering gear should consider the whole system, including all lenses they anticipate needing. That is actually not easy to do, so I suggest starting small and building as you go.

Someone getting into photography and considering gear should consider the whole system, including all lenses they anticipate needing. That is actually not easy to do, so I suggest starting small and building as you go.

Agreed. That's the crap thing about many hobbies and interests, you can be told by many people who know what they're talking about. But you as an individual don't know what you need until you get out there experiencing and learning, and work out what you need. 🙂

The flip side of my statement above though is that once you gain that knowledge and experience, that's when you become truly appreciative of the great tools that you have. Without knowing how much better they made your experience, you'd fail to realise just how good they are... ✅

Most reactions

New Topics

Back