Canon 100-400

Winona

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So looking at version II. Do these ever go on sale. I don’t find many (none at this time) refurbished. At least not on the sites I trust ( which is a good sign).

I could wait for a sale, but this is prime time to use one. I don’t want to wait months and never see it on sale. Anyone have any thoughts?

Not sure about the US, but I see that the price in camerapricebuster (a UK site tracking markets for camera gear) shows one shop had it reduced over Christmas to £1400 (from £1800). Seems to regulary dip to £1650.

Thank you. And I just found a Canon-watch website that you can check daily. Lists Canon gear for sale through various sources.

As you said, this is prime time for that lens. It's like buying used 300 and 400mm f/2.8 lenses for us Sports guys. You get the best prices and find the used ones at the end of prime season and or in the off season.

I watched the prices of the 300mm f/2.8 drop for a few months before I finally pulled the trigger just before football season last summer. You might look at Fred Miranda's for sale listings to see if you can find a used one.

Got mine a couple months ago. You will really like it. I also have both teleconverters but on that lens only the 1.4 makes sense. In reasonably bright light the combination works really works well. On a crop sensor it is a sharp monster.

Keep an eye out for cashback promotions too, the last lens I got £85 back from Canon as well as a decent in store discount.

Thanks for all the tips! Photoflyor-your purchase and review was part of my deciding factor. And I do want the 1.4 telecom better as well. I don’t think AF will work though-something I need to check into.

I don’t think AF will work though-something I need to check into.

Most fairly recent DSLRs can AF down to F8 and some even more. At 400mm and wide open with the 1.4 TC it becomes f 8 if I recall correctly. I get only one focus point but that is how I always shoot anyway.

We look forward to the images you will capture with it.

Today I was sitting on the deck talking to a friend on the phone and this little guy popped up out of the grass. I had the 100-400 mark II next to me and shot this at 400mm f 6.3 1/500 on a full frame. Heavily cropped.

20200517134347_IMG_8366-01.jpeg

That is nice and sharp! Looking forward to using it.

Very nice, I had that lens but sold it when my son finished playing college baseball, now I regret it at times.

Very nice, I had that lens but sold it when my son finished playing college baseball, now I regret it at times.

Sadly (for the players) I just got mine and was looking forward to using it to shoot my local college baseball teams. There is a next season for me but for many of the seniors...

Well, found a 10% off lens coupon emailed to me by Canon. Tried to order lens and it did not work even though it was not listed as an excluded lens. On line chat could not help. Spent 2 evenings waiting on hold for someone to answer the phone. The 3 rd I reached someone who could not help, but the day crew could. The day crew needed to wait for the supervisor to come in at 1:30 pm. I called at 3 pm and after a half hour on the phone was told the coupon would not work. BUT.... they gave me 15% and free shipping if I could give them a serial number for a Canon lens I was trading up from. So 15% brought the price to what a refurbished lens cost! Yay!
But wait......no email confirmation came. So I called and a robot said my order was canceled! Again, 20 minutes on hold and gentleman says my email would not go through so it was canceled as fraud! I asked why didn’t they just call me? “The computer does it.” Now, wouldn’t they want to know why a $2000 order did not go through? Especially when I spent hours calling them over and over? So, it was reordered and at the discount, but now it’s on backorder! Ugh! And before I hung up I had him confirm all my information since he never even asked what my correct email was. He said it, but I made him spell it out and it was wrong again.

so....I am very disappointed in Canons service, have no lens in site, and still don’t know if the order was correct because 3 hours later I still don’t have email confirmation!!!! I am using this years vacation $ since I got a lump sum after my office was sold to a different employer. Because of Covid I won’t have a vacation.....

Thanks for listening.

Ur welcome. Sorry to hear that you had problems
Not canon staff just a canon owner

So, my lens was delayed a second time. The auto system kicked it out for unknown reasons. The third time they put it in manual check out and received it within 2 days. But-bye-bye Tamron! Canon autofocus works so much better! I took 50 plus pictures with the Tamron of the dog running and ditched most of them. I took the same number with Canon and most were in focus. I hope to post other pictures, but I grabbed these quick. No processing. Hopefully my photography will progress now.

upload_2020-7-3_19-34-15.jpeg

upload_2020-7-3_19-34-51.jpeg

Funny that you posted again about this lens today. I was using it this evening and still marvel at it. This was shot from about 100 feet away. Cropped of course but still, to me amazing clarity. And, taken on a T7i, so nothing fancy there.

20200703161333_IMG_1383-01.jpeg

Most reactions

Back