nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I been trying to collect some interesting cameras for fun, I don't have much intentions on using them unless they use film that's still being produced today. My goal is to find interesting cameras only while thrifting or yard sales/flea markets rather than just finding them online. It's gives me a reason to check these stores out and it's been fun coming across some cameras and connecting with others in the process.

Anyways, yesterday I stopped at a quaint little thrift shop in a small town and I came across this Polaroid Land Automatic 100 camera sitting on the shelf and the owner said it's been sitting there for months. I asked if she would take $20 and I she said sure! It came with all the original documentation/manuals and even the box! Also the flash unit too!

it's in decent shape, really needs to be gone through and cleaned up. It still has the original battery in it from the mid 60s which has kinda exploded on the inside and swelled. I gotta get that cleaned up, but other than that...it all functions just fine. No holes in the bellows either.

I know film isn't available for this beast anymore and I may have overpaid on it. I dunno. But it's pretty cool and it will look really nice on display and just happy I saved a camera from the landfill! It's actually really cool using the rangefinder and pretending to shoot with it because its such a unique experience. it almost makes you want to take photos because of how hands on it is. My Nikon Z6II just works and I never have to think about it and It kinda takes away the fun that got me into photography in the first place, anyways I'm just rambling now.

Here's some pictures I took before it started snowing!

Erwin-231113-86461.jpg

Erwin-231113-86473.jpg

Erwin-231113-86479.jpg

Erwin-231113-86485.jpg

Film is technically available but it's prohibitively expensive. The same guy who revived integrated instant and started the Impossible Project also took on the task of manufacturing peel-apart after Fuji discontinued it. This ultimately led to another company named Supersense that still makes peel-apart, but it's one shot per cartridge and they are charging $54 for three shots. So again, prohibitively expensive.

It's too bad because there's nothing like shooting peel-apart. I have the Land Camera 100 that my father bought in the 1960s and I love using it.

I have one similar to the one you bought. I don't know how much I spent... $20 for a vintage film camera sounds reasonable to me! I love displaying them. (Such as my Agfa Clack which seems like it was named for the sound it makes! lol and I have used it...)

I'm bummed too the pack film had gotten so expensive. I still have some for as long as it lasts... Fuji B&W and some of the last of the Polaroid Paul Giambarba Blue, Sepia, and 'Chocolate'. The Blue has already shifted so it's experimental at best.

I had something I shot in Sepia accepted into a juried exhibit and hung on a wall... So if you knew how to use those cameras, anything was possible.

Film is technically available but it's prohibitively expensive. The same guy who revived integrated instant and started the Impossible Project also took on the task of manufacturing peel-apart after Fuji discontinued it. This ultimately led to another company named Supersense that still makes peel-apart, but it's one shot per cartridge and they are charging $54 for three shots. So again, prohibitively expensive.

It's too bad because there's nothing like shooting peel-apart. I have the Land Camera 100 that my father bought in the 1960s and I love using it.

I have read that its possible to have these converted to use modern polaroid film packs but apparently it's very expensive to do so.

I have one similar to the one you bought. I don't know how much I spent... $20 for a vintage film camera sounds reasonable to me! I love displaying them. (Such as my Agfa Clack which seems like it was named for the sound it makes! lol and I have used it...)

I'm bummed too the pack film had gotten so expensive. I still have some for as long as it lasts... Fuji B&W and some of the last of the Polaroid Paul Giambarba Blue, Sepia, and 'Chocolate'. The Blue has already shifted so it's experimental at best.

I had something I shot in Sepia accepted into a juried exhibit and hung on a wall... So if you knew how to use those cameras, anything was possible.

The previous day I came across a Anscoflex Pseudo TLR from the 50s that used 620 film for $5. I should have bought it that too..if it used 120 film then I would have used it..if you have a darkroom then you can take the spool out and wrap the 620 spool with 120 and it would work just fine but I'm too lazy for that 😂

A crazed collector would likely wet themselves finding a complete boxed example of this camera+manuals. Sell it!

A crazed collector would likely wet themselves finding a complete boxed example of this camera+manuals. Sell it!
I have to go back and get the box, she has it out back and said she would get it out for me. Gonna stop by next weekend and see if she has it. But I don't know if I'm going to sell it. It's a beautiful camera to have on display :)

Nice find. I have around 10 or 12 of those I found in the trash here at work. Have a few in the box with flash and manual.

Nice find. I have around 10 or 12 of those I found in the trash here at work. Have a few in the box with flash and manual.

That's pretty sad to be honest. But I also understand they were kinda mass produced right? But even in the 60s they were quite an expensive camera. Like equivalent of $1400 today.

I have read that its possible to have these converted to use modern polaroid film packs but apparently it's very expensive to do so.

Meh, not worth it. There's no advantage to that in terms of image goals (and by that, I mean both technical quality and artistic goals). Instax film is...okay. But then just get an Instax camera. And if you want to shoot integrated Impossible Project film, then look for a functional SX-70 camera. They're fun, too.

As for price, when I get home, I will check what my father paid since I still have the receipt.

Meh, not worth it. There's no advantage to that in terms of image goals (and by that, I mean both technical quality and artistic goals). Instax film is...okay. But then just get an Instax camera. And if you want to shoot integrated Impossible Project film, then look for a functional SX-70 camera. They're fun, too.

As for price, when I get home, I will check what my father paid since I still have the receipt.

You still got the receipt after all these years?
Thats awesome!

Polaroid made millions of them. I believe they sold new for around $150-165 or $15-1600 today but worth around $15-30 just cam or $25-40 w/box and flash so $20 for yours is right on target. We can not resell them here so they go into the trash.
There is one right now near the trash can, a 320 model, I guess I'll get that one too. LOL

Polaroid made millions of them. I believe they sold new for around $150-165 or $15-1600 today but worth around $15-30 just cam or $25-40 w/box and flash so $20 for yours is right on target. We can not resell them here so they go into the trash.
There is one right now near the trash can, a 320 model, I guess I'll get that one too. LOL
How many vintage cameras do you have?!

You still got the receipt after all these years?
Thats awesome!

Yup. Don't have the box anymore, but I do have the flash and somewhere I should still have a few bulbs. Not sure if the shoe for it works anymore. I'm not a fan of flash so I never tested it. I have memories of being allowed to change the bulb after he took a picture.

How many vintage cameras do you have?!
Last count about 6 years ago was well over 4000. Since then I have 8 bankers boxes full of them, plus lots of single lenses. I also have about 200 to list on E-bay as "parts repair".

I also have around 40-50 8mm movie cameras and projectors as well as some 16mm ones. And don't get me started about typewriters and radios and LP's......LOL

Here is but a tiny display in my apartment......

Most reactions

Back