Camera Recommendations for Dog Action Photography

TK9NY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, newbie to the forum here!

For my birthday this year (coming up in May) I want to treat myself to a camera after years of going without. So I’m looking for camera recommendations.

I’m not new to photography, though it’s been at least 10 years since I’ve picked up a camera. I’m looking to get back into it and need new equipment since I no longer have anything other than my phone and a rugged point-and-shoot that I use on hikes.

I’m mainly interested in dog photography. Indoor and outdoor. I use my phone to capture imagines of my dogs right now and it does fine, but I would like to use an actual camera and maybe start branching into photographing my clients dogs as well (I’m a dog groomaer).

I also like to go to local dog shows/events, horse shows, etc etc and wouldn’t mind wildlife photography either. So I guess I’m looking for something that’s going to be good for action shots, mainly outdoors but indoor capable as well.

Someone on another forum recommended a Sony Cybershot RX10 Mark IV as a good bridge camera to use for that. And I spent years using a Nikon with interchangeable lenses, but I can’t remember the model (again it was 10+ years ago). I don’t necessarily need interchangeable lenses. I’m also not opposed to buying used. So any other recommendations would be great!

My budget would be $1,500 or less.

As an example of what I'm looking to be able to shoot, here's a phone photo of my dogs.

IMG_7733.JPG

Welcome aboard.

Most cameras in the same general price range are going to have comparable features. I'd try to physically hold a couple and compare the menu system and ease of reaching all the buttons.

A Sony A7IV, Canon R6 II or a Nikon Z6 II would be right inline with what you're after. A 24-70mm or 70-200mm f2.8 would be a good start to get your dog pictures, then a couple of lenses for other things too.

I just think these are great all round cameras but depending on budget, I can't imagine how any decent current camera would have any dramas doing what you are wanting to do. Realistically it just comes down to how much you want to spend. You could get a solid pretty complete interchangeable setup for $3,000, or $15,000, or you could get a bridge camera, they'll all do a great job.

Last edited:
I know a number of people who have shot canine sports. For that, you'll likely need a 200mm zoom that is relatively fast. If you got a Nikon Z6ii, that would be a good body.

Here's the thing: some of the new mirrorless cameras out have superb AF that allows you to specify the eyes. Not just human eyes, canine eyes! So do some research and find out what bodies will do that for you. They will probably be out of your price range so you might look at a refurbished body.

Now, let's supposed that a mirrorless with canine eye AF plus a 200mm zoom is way beyond your price point. Then look at a Nikon D500. It's got superb AF and is designed for shooting wildlife and/or sports. But it's not mirrorless, it won't give you the ability to AF on the eyes. But because it's not mirrorless, there will be good bargains on it (especially if you buy refurbished--you could probably get a 200mm zoom and a refurbished D500 for $1,500 or less).

For dog portraits or stuff like the frisbee shot (where you can get closer), an 85mm or 50mm prime lens would be best. They'll both be fast, as prime lens they'll be sharp.

For your budget, I'd recommend a Nikon D500 (approx $900 used at KEH) and a Tamron 70-200m f/2.8 (approx $700 used at KEH). Decent AF system for sports and good in low light. I still use mine with a longer lens (200-500mm, f/5.6) for birding even though I have a Z9. The shot below was taken with a D850, which has the same AF system as the D500, and the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8. Even though the GoldenDoodle was running full out, the AF system found the nose. ISO 640, f/5.6, 1/160 sec, 135mm.

Born to Run.jpg

Lots of good info in the replies. I follow That Tog Spot on YouTube. She has short tutorials.

So much to research! Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Does anyone have any experience using the website cameradecision.com? I've been using that to compare different cameras..... tell me now if I shouldn't lol!

I'm going to try to find the cameras everyone has been suggesting here, locally, so I can at least test them in store before I decide anything. So many options... some are definitely out of my budget even used, but some are not.

This isn't something I'm going to be doing professionally, for income, so I can't really justify spending a ton of $$ right now. I just opened my own dog grooming business after 12+ years in a corporate salon so a lot of my $$ is going into that. This is going to be more of a hobby, and maybe try to tie it in to the grooming business at some point (shooting client's dogs post groom for example.)

And I went back through my images and found one of my old photos (shown below) from back when I had the Nikon. Figured out how to pull up the info on the image and found the camera info too: It was a D50 with a sigma 70-200mm lens.

DSC_0040.JPG

So you're looking for a fast low light (indoor dog events) rig that can do fast animals and wildlife.

Your best bet is going to be a bridge camera in your budget. If you remove wildlife from the list then any of the above suggestions will work just fine however wildlife photography barley begins at 300mm and is easier at 400mm and above. Add to this that most wildlife lenses will take up most of or all of your budget.

The last option is to wait and save a bit more. it also gives you more time to research what will work for you.

The last thing I will suggest is get the camera in hand. Go to a store and get a feel for the camera and its button layout. This can make or break a camera for me.

Get a camera with an articulating screen. That way you can lower your camera down to dog level while flipping the screen to face up without bending way over or laying down.

THIS!!!!!! I can tell you the older you get the more this becomes a necessity!

I get the value of an articulating screen. The problem though is that the dog is doing to focus on your face. So if you aren't low, the dog's focus won't be low.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back