Best Bag to Carry Camera on Trip?

I thought the wide lens would be good for all the small indoor locations we'll encounter.

I will also add that I have a LowePro Transit Sling 250 AW and I hate it. It is a one-strap sling that goes across the chest and over your right shoulder, which is the opposite of how every other backpack or shoulder bag strap goes. It fits a mirrorless camera or smaller DSLR with smaller lenses, but not large aperture zooms. The bigger version that fit gear more comfortably just felt too big, and was just as awkward. Perhaps I just never got used to it - ultimately the main purpose is to not have to take off the bag to remove gear. But when I want to travel light, I just take a smaller shoulder bag which serves the same purpose.

I will also add that I have a LowePro Transit Sling 250 AW and I hate it. It is a one-strap sling that goes across the chest and over your right shoulder, which is the opposite of how every other backpack or shoulder bag strap goes. It fits a mirrorless camera or smaller DSLR with smaller lenses, but not large aperture zooms. The bigger version that fit gear more comfortably just felt too big, and was just as awkward. Perhaps I just never got used to it - ultimately the main purpose is to not have to take off the bag to remove gear. But when I want to travel light, I just take a smaller shoulder bag which serves the same purpose.
Great story to share. Probably 1/3rd of the bags and backpacks I have/had I don't like wearing. Which is why it's critical to try it on first. Don't buy based on pictures.

I thought the wide lens would be good for all the small indoor locations we'll encounter.
I completely understand. And frankly, I think the two zooms you're looking at go wide enough.

Ultimately though here the deal--if you have have a camera and lens (plus relevant equipment) you're looking at a very different set of storage than if it's two lens. I know, I know, doesn't seem like much. But very few small slings or holsters handle multiple lens well. And changing in the environment is challenging--yes, people do it all the time. And you risk dust and sweat on your sensor. Frankly, for indoor tight spaces, use your phone. You're going to have grainy shots anyway and will need to use something like Topaz to reduce the noise when you shoot in an indoor space with natural light in a dark room.

This is all great advice, so thanks again.

As is often the case, I feel like researching a product online has made things more complicated.

For one thing, I'm not sure I know what a sling bag is now. I thought it was a bag shaped like a fanny pack, tapered at both ends like a sweet potato, to be worn in front of the body over one shoulder. The LEFT shoulder in my case. Thanks, Adamhiram for warning be about the ones that go on the other shoulder. I would like it to be handy for my right hand to reach into.

I looked at some sling bags people on the web suggested, and some look pretty much like the Thinktank Retrospective 7M which was, incredibly, included with my big camera. It's rectangular and doesn't seem well-suited to being carried on the chest, so it's apparently not a sling bag. If it's not kept upright, things will fall out.

I just want a small bag to hold a body with a lens attached, one additional lens, and a couple of batteries. I am taking my Swissgear backpack, so if I really need to carry a lot on a day trip, I can use it instead. I was thinking a sling pack would allow me to leave the Swissgear pack in the hotel room.

There will be times when I want more junk with me, of course.

Checking bags out in person is a great idea. May not be practical for me because I live in a rural county, and I don't have a lot of time to prepare.

The Lowepro Trekker series looks good, but they say it's mostly recycled. I don't want Lowepro to sell me someone else's garbage when I'm trying to protect camera gear. Looks like the wrong place to take a chance on discarded materials.

Maybe bringing a second lens is a bad idea. I kind of hate to pay for lenses and leave them at home, though. The wide angle job was thinking of bringing is pretty cheap.

Anyway, I'm going to check out the Peak Everyday 3L and see what happens.

I found a Peak Designs Everyday 3L at Best Buy.

The 200D will fit with two lenses. The A7IV can go in with the hood from the smaller lens removed or reversed, but it's not going to work. I can get some batteries in there with the 200D, but not much else.

I'm going to give up on the tiny-bag plan. It sounded smart, but the more I look at it, the more I think I should use my existing backpack or get a smaller one. I think a tiny bag would be okay if I weren't packing the mike set, but audio with built-in mikes is unacceptable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back