How to Remove Cockatoo Dust from Rubber Focus Ring?

William Baroo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I left a zoom lens hanging on a piece of exercise equipment in a room with a cockatoo for several years. This is one of the few types of bird that grows specialized feathers just for the purpose of creating dust. An extremely fine white dust got on the outside of the lens, and while it looks like it suffered no ill effects, I am wondering how to clean the dust off the rubber parts.

Compressed air isn't going to get it done. It will have to be something wet. How about a paper towel with a little Armor All?

Armour all is a shiny protectant, I wouldn't wipe that on a lens, not that it will damage it but it will definitely make it slippery and slick. Have you tried iso propyol alcohol?

Worse come to worse, you could use methylated spirits on a rag, but you would just want a light soapy water on another rag to chase after the methylated spirits after each section.

Thanks for the help. It's not the actual optic surfaces. It's the rubber rings. I got some improvement with water and Q-Tips. Will keep exploring.

Thanks for the help. It's not the actual optic surfaces. It's the rubber rings. I got some improvement with water and Q-Tips. Will keep exploring.

I understood that. It's rubber, it isn't that delicate. Unless you do something obviously silly to it, it won't damage easily.

I clean my camera body and lenses with iso propyol alcohol after every day of use. I also clean my sensor every two months or so too. Providing you are cleaning everything with the right equipment, you aren't causing any harm.

I am thinking something a little oily would pick the dust up, and I could clean the oily stuff off afterward.

It's not a major problem. It's just annoying, and seeing the dust reminds me of the death of a pet.

I sparingly use 303 protectant applied with a Q-tip and soft microfiber on all of the exposed rubber and plastic parts on my camera bodies. I do a lot of nature trips from the ocean to the mountains and I'm particularly cautious about protecting my gear from the elements. Salt mist coming in from the ocean created by very large wave action is about the worst I've put my gear through and I can say that using the protectant gives me peace of mind. The stuff gives off a nice satin finish and lasts at least a couple of months in action. Of course, keeping that stuff away from any glass or internal components is crucial as the protectant is very absorbable and in certain situations difficult to remove.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back