Boom suggestion

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for recommendations on boom and stand. Need something that's collabsible, easy to adjust but holds its setting, capable of supporting at least 10lbs extended, and won't break the bank.

I bought an Adorama brand C-Stand and it pretty much fills what you want. It is heavy and is under $200 (I think I got it about $110)

I looked at that one, but was concerned about how easy it was to adjust, and length of the boom extended. I may have to go that route, but it would be nice to find something with a clamp/adjustment similar to this arm by Impact.

71UidOQGvdL._SL1500_.jpg

@Braineack I can't find any specification on the arm of the Flash Point. The specs say the stand supports 30lbs. total, but nothing on the arm. At the minimum most of my ABs weigh in at 5lbs without modifier. The other thing is the reach of the arm on the Flash Point, is that 40" total length? What's the maximum "reach". The Impact model is 86" which I'm assuming is overall, but still twice the reach. The Impact also lists maximum weight on the arm extended as 8lbs.

Does the locking mechanism on the Flash Point allow you to adjust height, length, rotate independently or is it one clamp releases everything?

the one clamp releases everything. the Impact might be better than that regard.

I have this Impact boom arm that mounts on top of a standard light stand. This one only has a 5lb max load at full extension, but it feels like it could hold more if not extended 7' out. Very easy to use and no real complaints. They have a heavier duty one that can hold 8lbs at full extension that looks similar , and I am guessing could hold more weight at shorter extension lengths. Not sure how helpful this is, considering your 10lb minimum load, but figured I would throw in my 2 cents.

I have this Impact boom arm that mounts on top of a standard light stand. This one only has a 5lb max load at full extension, but it feels like it could hold more if not extended 7' out. Very easy to use and no real complaints. They have a heavier duty one that can hold 8lbs at full extension that looks similar , and I am guessing could hold more weight at shorter extension lengths. Not sure how helpful this is, considering your 10lb minimum load, but figured I would throw in my 2 cents.

Thanks Adam, I think that's the one! 60" extension should be enough, and I already have a heavy stand that should work. It doesn't appear to be as heavy duty a the other. Does it hold well?

Does it hold well?
Yes, it holds pretty well if used correctly. The spigot on the end has a flat side that keeps it from slipping so you don't need to crank it down so hard that you strip the threads. The friction plate for the adjustment handle holds very well. However definitely note the weight limitation - I use mine with a speed light and lightweight soft box with no issues, not sure how this particular one will faire with heavier monolights. I'd say construction is on par with that of my budget Flashpoint "Heavy Duty" air cushioned light stands.

Just this weekend I put a Streaklight 360 with a 48" octabox on it boomed out for portraits and it handled it very well even extended out and up.

Not sure of the weight but that Octa was the heaviest thing I've used in a very long time.

The arm and knuckle is designed to be used so that it tightens on itself when weight is baring down on it.

I have this Impact boom arm that mounts on top of a standard light stand.
I am going to rescind my implied recommendation. I mounted a speed light, Bowens adapter, and a lightweight 38" soft box on it, and even at 4lbs I can see it bowing with any significant extension, even with a counterweight to balance it. It does the trick when I need something from above, but even with smaller speed lights I'm already pushing its limits.

Are you working exclusively in the studio or out on locations?

I do a mix of both so back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I bought two of these:
https://www.adorama.com/bg085b.html
One has the chromed steel Cine 008 stand the other has the 085 black aluminum stand.

If exclusively in the studio you could go with this geared one, https://www.adorama.com/bg025bs.html

I also have a smaller three section boom arm, https://www.adorama.com/bg3385.html

All of which has performed extremely well out and about and in the studio. One recommendation which I am sure you know, always have a leg under a balanced arm and sand bag the stand.

@JBPhotog I have a DYI contraption that's built like a tank, with a 2x2 high strength aluminum 8' boom, but it also weighs as much as a tank, so having a portable model to replace it would be good. I'll look at your suggestions.

Most reactions

Back