Total Solar Eclipse

4huskers

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
IMG_6008_1.jpg

Nice image! I'm going to process mine later today, but a cursory view showed some solar flares jumping from the surface.

I won't bother with trying to record eclipses. I'd rather watch, experience and enjoy them. But that's just me.

Nice shot. We didn't have total coverage either. Learned that a cellphone inside a welding helmet produces a green blob, so no pictures for me either.🤣

I set up and started with some interval stills (-5 stops) of the early part with the ideal of making a video (in Toronto we did not get "totality"). While the sun was being uncovered, I went with 4K video, but that was limited to -2 stops, which pretty much leaves no detail (either black or white). Even if I don't have much to show for it, it was my first try, so I felt I had fun, and it was interesting, so I'm happy enough. . . .

[added following 2024-04-09 15:06]
I resized 3 stills that i'll attach "here". I'm still checking the video clips, but essentially, the quality is like these. Because of the adapted lens, I was limited to manual focus. I checked the focus occasionally, as well ans need it to re-point the camera, so some pictures are better than others, and the same for the videos.

Attachments

• V3N01730a-rsz1600.jpg
    V3N01730a-rsz1600.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 2
  • V3N01734a-rsz1600.JPG
    V3N01734a-rsz1600.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 1
  • V3N01749a-rsz1600.JPG
    V3N01749a-rsz1600.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Nice shot. We didn't have total coverage either. Learned that a cellphone inside a welding helmet produces a green blob, so no pictures for me either.🤣
You need the grey welders glass.

We used to just punch a hole in a piece of paper and look at the spot thet shone through. I was working so I didn't go outside. Here's to 2044 or 2045 (I can't remember which)

You need the grey welders glass.

We used to just punch a hole in a piece of paper and look at the spot thet shone through. I was working so I didn't go outside. Here's to 2044 or 2045 (I can't remember which)

I have a big window helmet, I could see the sun fine with it, but when I tried using my cell phone against the glass I don't know if it wouldn't focus or it was flaring. I used the pinhole method with two paper plates, wasn't as good as the helmet. My DIL used a colander with good success supposedly.

I don't think I mentioned before, but my video editing setup was damaged some months ago by a power spike (most likely due to a nearby work crew). I was unable to work on the eclipse files, so I posted the best 3-4 min clip for now. It is unlikely I will be able to do more than this in the near future:

"2024-04-08 Solar Eclipse Toronto Max Annular"
""

I don't think I mentioned before, but my video editing setup was damaged some months ago by a power spike (most likely due to a nearby work crew). I was unable to work on the eclipse files, so I posted the best 3-4 min clip for now. It is unlikely I will be able to do more than this in the near future:

Looking back on this, the first thing I can say is that I recall having the camera setting to "slog2". Thinking about it now, I should have been set to "slog3" which is my lowest contrast setting. Beyond that, the Sun looks small. I thought I had the 50-200mm lens zoomed out to 200mm. I might have changed my mind at the last minute, but I don't remember making that choice. Odd.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back