Settings that could cause missed focus?

The 4th image is easy to see the camera movement, even at the low resolution. Every red aircraft warning light is 'double exposed', the same amount, and at the same angle, and across the same angular distance.

39365-1584023311-855b68bbec31d39745952dfd25abf321.jpg

This could also be a lens problem, lens element alignment can cause smearing. Testing needs to be done at the same focused distance and f-stop, try in good light so the shutter is high enough to eliminate camera shake.

A camera strap flapping even whilst the camera is on a tripod can cause some shake
Not sure where you were but was there road trains that could cause vibrations

A few things I've encountered in the past

1) Anti-shake systems. Even when they've got "tripod detection" this can fail. I've noticed that it can especially fail if you're using slower shutter speeds. My policy has always been if I don't need it turn it off otherwise you're risking problems.

2) I'd taken some macro shots and found them all blurry - the culprit was the carpet and underlying wooden floor. Even keeping really still there were loads of small motions that I caused which translated to the tripod. Even out in the wilds of the real world far from carpets; some surfaces can move. Slower shutter speeds might even show blur from motion that we can't detect at all. Eg a wooden pier might appear totally stable to our eyes and feelings, but might be moving tiny amounts all the time. Something that might not be picked up without a really slow shutter speed.

3) Wind. Sometimes the wind will rock and wobble things even if it doesn't feel like a gale. Heavier tripods and shorter lenses help here (a big lens catches more wind); plus many tripods have hooks to hang weights from them - eg your camera backpack - to further help their stability. As noted above, a camera strap can catch the wind and flick around too.

On these I'm not seeing enough (possibly due to resolution) that I can say for certain that I'm seeing camera movement. One thing that does occur to me, and is especially likely with a third-party type of lens is slop in the focusing helicoid. I used to have an old 400 'T' mount lens, one of those ones you could buy in the back of the photo magazines for $99... it was VERY easy to focus 'past' infinity with it and it would render in exactly the same manner as this. The other thing that makes this possible in my mind is that the clouds don't seem to show any sign of movement; granted it would be difficult to tell, but they appear focused.

The Fuji lens photos are worse than the Samyang. I think with the Samyang I was already so annoyed that I didn’t give it enough time to try to focus correctly plus was way too far away for a 12mm but that was the only other lens I had in my bag.

The 4th image is easy to see the camera movement, even at the low resolution. Every red aircraft warning light is 'double exposed', the same amount, and at the same angle, and across the same angular distance.

I am thinking it was the OIS on the Fuji lens.

You don't say the tripod of head type, this is where minute vibrations can influence the image. Aluminum tripods are more prone to vibration than carbon fibre. Was the pier being hit by swells?

I'd try this test a home to reduce the wind or environmental vibration, set up a candle or low power light(LED twinkle lights) and do a long exposure at mid f-stop. Check those for sharpness and you may reveal the culprit.

It’s a ball head and have used the tripod for long exposures before with no issues but not with this lens. No swells and others on the pier did not have issues.
even though it was a wooden pier there were cement columns and it was not moving at all.

This could also be a lens problem, lens element alignment can cause smearing. Testing needs to be done at the same focused distance and f-stop, try in good light so the shutter is high enough to eliminate camera shake.

Going to test today after work.

A camera strap flapping even whilst the camera is on a tripod can cause some shake
Not sure where you were but was there road trains that could cause vibrations

lens strap was removed and we were far from traffic. I even moved off the pier and onto the cement walkway along the shire and still had issues.

A few things I've encountered in the past

1) Anti-shake systems. Even when they've got "tripod detection" this can fail. I've noticed that it can especially fail if you're using slower shutter speeds. My policy has always been if I don't need it turn it off otherwise you're risking problems.

2) I'd taken some macro shots and found them all blurry - the culprit was the carpet and underlying wooden floor. Even keeping really still there were loads of small motions that I caused which translated to the tripod. Even out in the wilds of the real world far from carpets; some surfaces can move. Slower shutter speeds might even show blur from motion that we can't detect at all. Eg a wooden pier might appear totally stable to our eyes and feelings, but might be moving tiny amounts all the time. Something that might not be picked up without a really slow shutter speed.

3) Wind. Sometimes the wind will rock and wobble things even if it doesn't feel like a gale. Heavier tripods and shorter lenses help here (a big lens catches more wind); plus many tripods have hooks to hang weights from them - eg your camera backpack - to further help their stability. As noted above, a camera strap can catch the wind and flick around too.

I think it was the OIS on the Fuji. I can supposedly turn it off using the menu since there is no external on/off switch.

Will update with some rest photos soon.

Last edited:
OIS might well have been the culprit.

I haven't seen what shutter speeds were used, but the sentence in the first post, "The longer the shutter speed the more camera shake/blur," pretty much nails the reason. As for the cause, I would bet the stabilization was doing it. In a long exposure, it fantasizes about detecting shake and keeps adjusting, no matter what.

Finally had a minute to test the.prevailing theory that the OIS was the issue and it was. FUji is FOS when they say that the lens can detect when it’s on a tripod and will adjust OIS accordingly. They must not have tested longer exposures.

same shot cropped. 45seconds, f/22, ISO 100. Indoors no wind using a remote shutter release and tripod. 1st shot with OIS on second OIS off.

FEFBDD22-261A-43CE-BD41-523D502AEC7A.jpeg

92391EB8-F229-44FB-95F3-7B9540B32C04.jpeg

In the end I’m glad this was the answer as it’s easy enough to fix but I wish Fuji has put a manual OIS on/off switch in this lens. I’ll have to assign it to a my menu button as it’s not an option for the Fn buttons.

Thanks all who helped solve this.

Great you discovered the issue, looks like OIS is the culprit.

Have you got the latest Firmware on your camera and lenses? Looks like the latest firmware for the 16-80 is v1.02 with the following fixes:
  • Improvement of OIS function
  • Improvement of AF accuracy
  • Fix of slight defects

It's not Fuji - its all of the camera makers. They all have the same issue with long exposures. I don't know why specifically, but for some reason it fools the tripod detection software side of things.

It might even be because to detect it has to "spin up" every so often and then spin down. Which on a short exposure doesn't appear; but with a long exposure these little "checks" that it keeps making keep happening - resulting in the noise. At least that could be one theory.

All camera brands? Not true, VR or derivatives of it are switchable in many brands and are not on by default.

Another clue on the original images is that they're not just motion-blurred, but they have multiple "stable" images. The roof lights in particular show two specific locations. The exposure was happening, something shifted, the exposure continued. Wind, or ground motion, would be more random than that. Bumping the tripod would most likely be a bigger shift.

How's that for a perfect hindsight revelation? :)

Last edited:
Another clue on the original images is that they're not just motion-blurred, but they have multiple "stable" images. The roof lights in particular show two specific locations. the exposure was happening, something shifted, the exposure continued. Wind, or ground motion, would be more random than that. bumping the tripod would most likely be a bigger shift.

How's that for a perfect hindsight revelation? :)

20/20. But seriously thanks for the info. Good clues to look for next time.

Most reactions

Back