Need help with noise in darker settings. I believe maybe an ISO issue but I can't seem to take my camera out of Auto ISO.

Testnaming

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I am using a Canon EOS 7D with a EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM lens. I have noticed in darker settings, even just some overcast or shaded areas, that my photos get a lot of noise. I have tried adjusting the shutter speed and I still seem to get a lot of noise. I hear noise is generally a change done with ISO but my ISO is set to Auto with a max of 3200. I can't seem to find how to change it off Auto. What confuses me, is when the auto-focus kicks in the exposure on the screen of the camera changes to a good level and, during the focus process, shows a well-lit and detailed image. Once the focusing is finished, the lighting goes back to being dark and when there is shade my photos have a lot of noise and little colored specs. I will attach a picture as an example.

My shutter speed is at 1/2000 in these pictures. My aperture is f8.0. My ISO is set to auto so I am unsure what it was when these images were taken.

Can anyone help with this? Should I change my aperture? Or is there a way around this ISO issue I am unsure of? If there is a lot of light, the pictures come out great but, in low light, the pictures are just so noisy.

1712698599401.png

I can't post the full image because it is too large, but this little snippet shows how noisy things are. This picture was taken in overcast weather around noon. The picture is darker than what naked eye sees. Not sure how to remedy this.

View attachment 273567
I can't post the full image because it is too large, but this little snippet shows how noisy things are. This picture was taken in overcast weather around noon. The picture is darker than what naked eye sees. Not sure how to remedy this.

Yeah no problem. I have not looked at the manual for your camera. But I believe it would have shooting modes you can change. Like aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, auto (which your on), semi auto. And so on. You should change it to manual shooting. Then you can change the aperture, the shutter, and the iso to whatever you set it to. And it won't change unless you change it. If you don't have the camera manual on hand you can go to the canon website and search for the camera make, and it should have the manual somewhere there under support.

A camera manual is a document that explains how to use the camera and how to access settings in the camera itself. It will also have links of websites you can go to for more help.

Manual mode: Is not the same as camera manual. It's a setting on most camera's with interchangeable lenses that allow you to change the iso speed, shutter speed, white balance, and aperture all on your own without input from the camera.

Hello,

I am using a Canon EOS 7D with a EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM lens. I have noticed in darker settings, even just some overcast or shaded areas, that my photos get a lot of noise. I have tried adjusting the shutter speed and I still seem to get a lot of noise. I hear noise is generally a change done with ISO but my ISO is set to Auto with a max of 3200. I can't seem to find how to change it off Auto. What confuses me, is when the auto-focus kicks in the exposure on the screen of the camera changes to a good level and, during the focus process, shows a well-lit and detailed image. Once the focusing is finished, the lighting goes back to being dark and when there is shade my photos have a lot of noise and little colored specs. I will attach a picture as an example.

My shutter speed is at 1/2000 in these pictures. My aperture is f8.0. My ISO is set to auto so I am unsure what it was when these images were taken.

Can anyone help with this? Should I change my aperture? Or is there a way around this ISO issue I am unsure of? If there is a lot of light, the pictures come out great but, in low light, the pictures are just so noisy.
Hi! You need to get a 7D manual. You can download it here. Then have a look at pages 62 and 63.

Most likely what is happening is that your shutter speed is too high and the ISO is maxed out at 3200. So reduce the shutter speed.

Are you shooting in RAW? When you export an image, reduce the size to around 1600 pixels on a side and save it as a JPG with about 80% quality. It should be easy to post then. See if you can leave the EXIF intact.

Try to find subjects that are well-lit. It is normal for photos to be noisy at high ISO.

The 7D is a complicated camera and it will take a while to learn how to use it. Go out and shoot a lot with it at different conditions. When you have problems or questions, look them up in the manual or ask here. Don't try to learn everything at once. It takes time.

Hi! You need to get a 7D manual. You can download it here. Then have a look at pages 62 and 63.

Most likely what is happening is that your shutter speed is too high and the ISO is maxed out at 3200. So reduce the shutter speed.

Are you shooting in RAW? When you export an image, reduce the size to around 1600 pixels on a side and save it as a JPG with about 80% quality. It should be easy to post then. See if you can leave the EXIF intact.

Try to find subjects that are well-lit. It is normal for photos to be noisy at high ISO.

The 7D is a complicated camera and it will take a while to learn how to use it. Go out and shoot a lot with it at different conditions. When you have problems or questions, look them up in the manual or ask here. Don't try to learn everything at once. It takes time.
Thank you for your reply. I have gotten the hang of it and am now keeping Auto ISO but adjusting the shutter speed for lighting. I have taken some very nice pictures in much dimmer conditions than the one I posted originally and they have come out much brighter with less noise and good detail.

Thanks again

Thank you for your reply. I have gotten the hang of it and am now keeping Auto ISO but adjusting the shutter speed for lighting. I have taken some very nice pictures in much dimmer conditions than the one I posted originally and they have come out much brighter with less noise and good detail.

Thanks again
Good stuff. It will keep getting better.

Most reactions

Back