Pricing Collectible Cameras

To my knowledge the only people who appraise film cameras are dealers who, like any dealer in used merchandise, will offer you an amount that will give them a profit when they sell them on. For example, you can send them to KEH and they will inspect them and make an offer. Or, you can bring them to one of the big NY camera shops like B&H. But, don't expect much.

Funny how people here in Albuquerque New Mexico, one of the poorest states and large cities in the nation, think they can get top dollar for the gear they found in their Moms closet. I don't blame them for trying, might as well. However, the stuff sits on Craigslist for six months and sits, and sits....

So far I have gotten lucky with a few purchases after an offer made is immediately accepted. I love collecting vintage Canons so I'll keep trying to find those great deals. Looking for the old Kodaks as well.....starting to see them at really good prices. Too bad all are in Santa Fe, I'll have to make a day trip up there. Take the BMW motorcycle out for a ride thru Madrid!

To my knowledge the only people who appraise film cameras are dealers who, like any dealer in used merchandise, will offer you an amount that will give them a profit when they sell them on. For example, you can send them to KEH and they will inspect them and make an offer. Or, you can bring them to one of the big NY camera shops like B&H. But, don't expect much.

This is so true. I have seen or heard of many who think the camera dealers are going to give them top dollar and find out they are offered 1/4th what they have seen cameras or gear offered for on Ebay.

Just to clarify, these are Leicas, Nikon/Nikkors, Rollei, Minox, Voigtlander and the likes. Collected by a camera store owner and collector, all with original cases.. there are about 15 Leica cameras, including a 1925 Leica 1. I wont be selling all of them, but if someone is interested I posted a thread in the Buy/sell forum.

Dtar3, even though they are what they are, the advise given doesn't change. Seems everytime I need to check a "going price" on a camera, a quick google search and a couple more pinpoint searches provide some good information. Whether it is a common affordable camera like a Canon F1, or a super rare Leica or such, doesn't seem to make much if any differnece.

Sniper x, Thank you for your advice. I have been browsing Collectiblends database to gain more information and value on the cameras.. I appreciate the guidance!

Do NOT sell that Leica A cheap!!! What’s the serial number and what is written on the lens? You may have a five figure value item.

Hello everyone,

I just recently inherited my dad's very large camera collection and was hoping someone could help me figure out how/where to get them appraised.
As Graham Smith intimated, film cameras are worth very little. I have a number of professional cameras in top condition that I paid less than £20 for. Get them appraised by all means, but don't have high expectations.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

Value is subjective, it's no good asking a camera shop/store, you need to see what they are selling them for not buying :D

I've cameras and lenses I've bought from a highly reputable UK dealer that I know I could sell for a lot more on Ebay, (that's based on a lot of completed sales not BIN prices). As to why, he wants fast turn over to make a living and he's honest about it.

Perhaps a good example is the £35 CZJ f2.8mm T Biogon in mint condition which came with a fully functional camera body they sell for 2 to over 3 times that price on their own, and the Soviet Helios copies are that price or more sold on their own.

These days it's about knowing the market, I paid £10 for a new Canon EOS 300V about 10 years ago, a battery cost more than the camera. I had full frame lenses fr my Canon DSLR so at that price bought it, I still haven't put a film through it. The 300V just doesn't have the feel and build quality of my 3 Pentax Spotmatics and SV cameras or even my two Praktinas.

However my field is really LF cameras and my £30 Gandolfi Half Plate camera was a steal, needs a new brass strut and bellows but that's not going to add much in costs just a little time, and then it's worth considerably more.

There's also the £50 12"x10" camera, most wet plate workers want the real thing not a modern replica if possible, they sell for around £700.

I'm not a dealer and don't buy to sell, however I do keep a sharp eye on what items sell for. I know I watched my M3 Leice/50mm Summicron and Rolleiflex f3.5 E2 plummet in value in the late 90's early 2000's but the equipment is so reliable and sought after it bounced back and beyond.

Ian

I am new here, but I am going to write this from experience.
From experience with both types, best to sell on E-bay but if you have local swap meets, you can some times get good prices there.
Do not waste time with KEH, or any of the big camera shops, I have, they offer ten cents on a dollar.
IF you have time do an in depth net search on cameras, how they were are viewed in their hay-day, prices they have and do sell for. You can check past sales prices on E-bay.
Japanese collectors have kept prices of some top, and a few mid, line cameras and lens high but back ten years, or so, when every thing collapsed, with rare exceptions any non-top line cameras/lenses worth 100 bucks in good shape became 20-30 dollar cameras at best.
Many cameras back then still being sold for 2-3 hundred dollars, used, now sell for less than one hundred dollars , if they sell.
I had a Olympus OM-2 that became worthless and I gave away, near ditto for my Pentax Spotmatic II while the 35 F2 lens I had I did not give away but sold it for a lot less than a year before.

Some lenses I paid fifty to one hundred and twenty bucks for are now 20 bucks if you are lucky and some one wants it; at the same time some high buck stuff has gone through the roof, some that I though were high at two grand back now cost two to three times that much.
I right now still have 4-6 thousand dollars in cameras and lenses , only because some things went up to cover how much others have dropped.
As I said take the time do an in depth search of film cameras, on-line, days not hours, and you greatly increase your chance to doing OK.
Bob

Hi All!

I am new here and looking for some assistance. I have a very rare Japanese camera - the Yashima Osanon Digital 750 Camera. I would like to sell it, but had no luck with stores. Is anyone familiar with this camera and can say if it has value and how much?
Gabriella

Attachments

• camera.jpg
    camera.jpg
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 153
Hi Gabichka,

Your Yashima Digital is actually a 35mm film camera and yes, it was produced in small numbers since the company went bankrupt in the early 80s. There is not enough information regarding sales of this rare camera but I'll keep digging until something shows up. Looking at the picture of your camera I'd say it's in fair condition cosmetically speaking but I don't know if the camera works or not. That's an important factor in determining the selling price, most collectors like a functional camera with great cosmetics.

I know this was an old post but......
looks like it's on Ebay for $700 or best offer.....

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back