Negatives.

WB8588

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When shooting a photo shoot for someone, do you guys give the clients the negatives or do you keep them?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

I give them the negatives as I do not offer prints other than proofs. I also give them instructions on ordering prints from the camera store/lab I work at.

I give them the negatives as I do not offer prints other than proofs. I also give them instructions on ordering prints from the camera store/lab I work at.
I like that idea. Getting print sizes for people is a crazy hassle.

I like that idea. Getting print sizes for people is a crazy hassle.

Not only a hassle to take print orders, I just don't want to store all those negs as I have tons of personal negs to store.

When shooting a photo shoot for someone, do you guys give the clients the negatives or do you keep them?

Urgently! Study up on photography contracts, clients rights, usage rights, and copyright. When you get paid for photography your status may be a work-for-hire operator where the client already owns everything including the negatives. At the other end of the scale you may retain all rights and offer the client one time usage of selected photographs for an agreed fee. It depends on the contractual agreement you sign with your client. In my commercial photography career I found that negatives are basically worthless. The big money is in the pictures that can be made from those negatives.

The big money is in the pictures that can be made from those negatives.
If you retain the negatives, even if the client retains copyright, those prints have to come through you. Copyright does not give them the right to copy the copyright material, it gives them the right to control the copying.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Over my dead body...

You don't give the negatives, you would provide them according to your contract and if the client pays accordingly for them. Unless this is done I think as higher paying commercial work for a client where there wouldn't be any other use for the photos (of their products or related to their services). Otherwise I think it seems like a bad idea to provide negatives.

Try American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or PPA for info. on contracts and licensing usage, etc. I think in the past photographers and studios usually retained negatives and provided prints, and today usually provide CDs or downloads/digital files or prints (or whatever combination a client needs).

You don't give the negatives, you would provide them according to your contract and if the client pays accordingly for them.

Agreed, I do have the price of "selling" the negs to my clients in my contract and if they do not want the negs I take that charge off their final bill.

I don't shoot for other people, but if I did, I would not give them the negatives.
Lol, i understand not shooting for other people.

serious question or tongue in cheek at digital clients expense?

I don't do commission work any more, but when I did, the negs stayed with me.

And still do.

About 11 years ago, I met a classmate at our high school reunion whose wedding I had photographed in 1981. Turns out, they had lost everything in a house fire. Everything. Within 2 months, I had replaced all their wedding photos.

serious question or tongue in cheek at digital clients expense?
It was a serious question.

I haven't ever handed over negatives but if they paid enough for the rights, I'd do it. Although I shoot for myself not commercially so that might be why no ones ever asked before.

Most reactions

Back