Grand Teton NP - equipment review

I can't offer you any tips on astro photography. I'll see if any of my astro photo friends have advice.

I don't have a recommendation of the Lake vs. West Yellowstone--it's a function of what you want to shoot and how far from the park you're staying. The Lake is superb for sunrise shots. Any body of water--that time of year you should see steam coming off of it in the early AM plus animals of all kinds will go there to drink/feed. So keep that in mind as you plan your mornings.

If you're fortunate to have gotten some snow and ice by the time you're there (possible), be sure to head to any geyser area--you'll see rim ice (all sorts of weird shapes) because of the combination of heat from the geyser and snow/ice. Entering from the West Yellowstone gate, you'll have good access to two iconic areas; the Grand Prismatic view, and the Norris Geyser Basin. But if you're coming from the South (from the Tetons, up 191) you may just find it easier to hit the Lake. The wolves and Lamar Valley are probably not do-able for you.

Thanks for all your insights and suggestions! After reading some bad reviews about the hotel by the lake - end of season short staffed bad service etc. I decided to book in West Yellowstone for sure. I think it’s a good choice for me with lots of options for food and shopping.

The way my plans have worked out, I’ll have 3 sunrises and 3 sunsets in Yellowstone. So far I’m planning on seeing Artist Point, Mammoth Hot Spring, Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone Lake and Old Faithful. And of course lots of scenic lookouts along the way. I’ll make it a point to get to the Lake for at least one sunrise and maybe a sunset into night shoot. Who needs sleep anyway? I won't have a lot of time at each location but I’m ok with that.

Still waiting to hear back on job for Grand Teton this summer. Will keep you updated.
Last year job ended 9/24 and had to leave the employee spot in 24 hrs. Maybe we could move RV to W. Yellowstone if weather is cooperating. We don't want to drive (basically 65' vehicle ) in any slippery roads ! :{

All the retail jobs in GTNP are obviously on hold, so I have no job right now.
BUT....hubby had applied for a maintenance job with NPS and so far, he is still on. Arrival for work May 11 with an RV spot at Colter Bay Village!

We don't see how Colter Bay grocery store/retail/boat rentals etc can open on time in May but who knows? We are wondering if we will be a rare person in the complex for awhile, which would be really cool!

All the retail jobs in GTNP are obviously on hold, so I have no job right now.
BUT....hubby had applied for a maintenance job with NPS and so far, he is still on. Arrival for work May 11 with an RV spot at Colter Bay Village!

We don't see how Colter Bay grocery store/retail/boat rentals etc can open on time in May but who knows? We are wondering if we will be a rare person in the complex for awhile, which would be really cool!

That would be kind of cool. I had read the other day that YNP and GTNP have closed to visitors. Bring extra supplies in case everything is closed.

Leaving Las Vegas tomorrow towards Grand Tetons. Hubby job still on, report May 15.
Still don't know how much can open without employees!? Dorms are 2/3 to a room and shared hallway showers....

Leaving Las Vegas tomorrow towards Grand Tetons. Hubby job still on, report May 15.
Still don't know how much can open without employees!? Dorms are 2/3 to a room and shared hallway showers....

oh boy! Stay safe Nancy. Crossing my fingers that they get this under co trail or find an effective treatment or vaccine. Still planning on going but only if there have been significant improvements in the state of things. Not sure I’d be willing to get on a plane anytime soon.,.

We have stayed at the Grey Wolf Inn twice-2017 and 2019. West Yellowstone has plenty of places for groceries, gas, and restaurants. There is a bit of a drive to get into the park, but it runs along a river which may give you some misty morning shots. I don’t know about night photography. Most people say not to drive at night because of the wildlife on the roads. If you do just drive slow. You will like the places you have mentioned. One thing about Grand Prismatic-if you go too early it is so enshrouded in mist you will not see the colors. But in September you won’t need to worry about crowds. Definitely see it from below and above. They built a walkway so it can be seen from above. On the other hand, I love the early morning because the geysers are so misty. Just seeing the bison grazing with mist rising up around them is mystical. Have a great time!

There is a forum- forums.yellowstone.net that has a lot of photographers on it. It is not as full of information as it used to be since it crashed during my 2017 trip, but might be useful. I’m sure there are still people lurking and seem to be helpful.

Well, sadly I have officially canceled my trip. I was able to get a full credit to be used on a future trip. Hopefully GTNP and YNP in 2021!

So sorry.....
Next year....

Think of it as more time to plan. Yeah, not the same I guess. I'm sorry to hear you had to cancel.

So sorry.....
Next year....

Think of it as more time to plan. Yeah, not the same I guess. I'm sorry to hear you had to cancel.

Thanks. I was getting too stressed out about flying (with layovers would have had a mask on for 10+ straight hours each way) and also sharing the touring vehicle with up to 10 others each day was a no go for me.

I’m hoping to spend a few days on the Cape in September instead then head up to Acadia for foliage in October.

That's a bummer - but not unexpected, at least. Full refunds make it easier to deal with, too.

All the extra time with layovers, plus sharing a touring vehicle, would have given me pause as well. "Change dates, not plans," is my motto. I had terrific plans that were supposed to start next week that aren't happening. Next year, hopefully.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back