Gardeners! Share your garden photos and garden chatter here.

The rosemary plant drowned last year!
IMG_20240417_150134.jpg

The lace bugs sucked the sap outta all the azalea leaves over 3 years, and looked horrible so they eventually got pulled.
IMG_20240417_150941.jpg

That's myrtle the turtle😂...

Beautiful! We're still about 2 weeks away from hunting for annuals. Watching the perennials come up that we planted last year is the only garden excitement so far!

It's dipping down into the 30sF. over the weekend, then I hope things stay warm enough to get moving forward.

Beautiful! We're still about 2 weeks away from hunting for annuals. Watching the perennials come up that we planted last year is the only garden excitement so far!

It's dipping down into the 30sF. over the weekend, then I hope things stay warm enough to get moving forward.
What she said!

I planted a lot of perennials last year, most that I started from seed with the winter sowing method. They grew a lot of foliage but very few flowered. I did a walk around and saw a lot of new growth.
Newly planted last year and showing signs of life 9 cone flowers, 4 clematis, 3 Shasta daisy, 2 baptisia, 3 blazing star, 2 yarrow and 2 asters.

The bunnies feasted on my tulips. It’s been to rainy for the bunny begone spray to be effective.

I want the perennial Geraniums, which I understand are hard to find at nurseries, so I will get some seeds online. I'd really like to find some other perennials that can handle cold winters, brutally hot summers, and don't mind that is dry. And, oh yeah, flower all Spring, Summer, and Autumn. :)

My favorite springtime critters are suddenly appearing. Yesterday in the rain, a beautiful male Mallard duck landed in my driveway. He nibbled a bit around my bird feeders, but in the rain there wasn't much on the ground, so he flew off after a few minutes. I hope he comes back with the female!

A few days ago a Canada goose marched solo down the sidewalk, passing our house and continuing till he was out of sight. No idea what he was up to, but no one messed with him. I am a big fan of what I call the arrogance of the goose! :586:

And as I type this, a huge brown rabbit is right outside my window, nibbling at the grass and a few dandelions. It's chilly and windy, but the sun is shining and he's a happy rabbit.

Springtime is good! :icon_sunny:

Re-installing rain barrels this wkend here and at the family ruin. Big re-purposed Greek olive oil containers sold by the local Rotary. Strategically placed, these made watering the ruin's far-flung beds and shrubs easy compared to lugging huge runs of hose. Rumors of a dry summer 2024. Planting up 10 gro-bags of spuds this weekend. Tomatoes next in the basement gro-op.

Re-installing rain barrels this wkend here and at the family ruin. Big re-purposed Greek olive oil containers sold by the local Rotary. Strategically placed, these made watering the ruin's far-flung beds and shrubs easy compared to lugging huge runs of hose. Rumors of a dry summer 2024. Planting up 10 gro-bags of spuds this weekend. Tomatoes next in the basement gro-op.
I've thought about using gow-bags, but it gets very hot and dry here, so I'm wondering if they wouldn't dry out too fast.

I have a 2nd rain barrel that I’ll be setting up this weekend. I need to get our water bill under control!

I've thought about using gow-bags, but it gets very hot and dry here, so I'm wondering if they wouldn't dry out too fast.
I used grow bags last year for some of my dahlias. They work well for anything that requires good drainage but yes, they definitely dry out faster. I had to water the grow bags twice as often as I watered the raised beds.

Unbelievable. A few light flurries early this a.m. Spring? Seriously?

Unbelievable. A few light flurries early this a.m. Spring? Seriously?
Last blasts of winter in May aren't unknown. Traditional/folk wisdom hereabouts is no annuals or anything tender planted before Victoria Day, May 20.

The bunnies feasted on my tulips. It’s been to rainy for the bunny begone spray to be effective.
Whats in this bunny begone spray? When i got Thumper and Binky last year they were eating everything out in the backyard, had to put wire around all the young plants.

Now i just keep there bellys full and there basically not eating the garden anymore and the wires gone🤣.

And as I type this, a huge brown rabbit is right outside my window, nibbling at the grass and a few dandelions. It's chilly and windy, but the sun is shining and he's a happy rabbit.
Lmao, clever bunny🤪. He has plenty of wool to keep him warm.

Whats in this bunny begone spray? When i got Thumper and Binky last year they were eating everything out in the backyard, had to put wire around all the young plants.

Now i just keep there bellys full and there basically not eating the garden anymore and the wires gone🤣.
Problem in S.Ontario is squirrels ransacking spring bulbs planted in the fall. Little $hits love the expensive varieties--rodent truffles. Fine mesh plastic netting anchored to beds keeps them at bay--mostly!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back