Creepy Crawlies

Do you shot Macros ?

• Yes, I am addicted. I have lots of macro equipment

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Not very often, but I have some close-up lenses just in case.

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • I use only the basic macro feature of my camera.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I don't care, I prefer landscapes and portraits

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
Okay Darkeyes. I was the ignorant one that checked out a post when I'm scared of spiders. I don't really mind seeing them in a picture because I try to take an artist's point of view. That first one you posted makes my skin want to jump off. That guy is CRRRREEEEEEPPPPYYY!!

Good shots though. :D

I think tose "holes" on it's back are just a pattern, because theres actually 10 in five pairs of two. I pity all those arachnophobics out there. Spiders are great targets in the bug world. Love the shots of the funnel web spiders.

It might be a day or two before I find another type of spider to photograph, as they have the habbit of building there webs in akward to photograph places eg: Car wheels, High spots, low spots etc.

The spiders that feature in my shots so far are the most common garden sparders at my home. Theres also heaps os Daddy Long Legs, Huntsmans, redbacks and window spiders around, but all biuld homes in uninteresting places.

Here's one of the big 'Gal, with her mate. or should I say dinner?- I'll find out soon enough.

SpiderPair_1.jpg

ferny said:
Ack! I hate spiders. :shock:

This one was taken with a reversed lens, so I was about an inch away.

spider_001.jpg

and it was alive at the time?!!! blucky!

He was sitting on a web oustide the kitchen window with no breeze to speak of yet the web kept moving. Not great with only a 2mm dof. There was a line of three of them in total. The garden gets full of them. They can be half an inch across or one and a half inches. Ugly things. They can be different colours to. There was one stuck to some ice yesterday who was yellow. :mrgreen:

Edited due to broken link

When I lived out in the country we used to have spiders in the house galore. There was one behind the toilet that spun a pretty descent web back there so we just left it. (Figured he wouldn't leave the web if we treated it nice ;))

We named him Boris, and whenever we'd catch a bug that was still alive or another spider we'd toss it onto his web. It was crazy to see the other spiders when they landed on the web. They'd just freeze. Unlike bugs who'd kick and flap setting off the spidey alarm like crazy. The spiders would know they just landed in enemy territory and wouldn't move a muscle. It was quite cool.

It took up to 15 minutes for the action to finish, but when it did it was over quick. Boris being on home turf won almost exclusively. One time I think he got bit and we didn't see him for a week or so. Thought he had passed on. But then he emerged not long after. I came to the conclusion he had just grown so fast he needed to molt or maybe just recover from his defeat.

He lived with us for almost a year. Unfortunately one day I was taking a bath when I saw a spider in the tub with me. Being an arachnaphobe I almost lept completely out of the water. Turns out it had already drowned though and was just floating. (right, like that makes it anyless scary)

We never saw Boris after that. I can only assume he came to same goodbye, or just lost his footing trying to scare me.

A little spider useful information. Watching the making of the movie 'arachnaphobia', they used dish soap painted on the ground where they didn't want the spiders to go. So you could paint a maze or path and the spider would follow it exactly. I use this to my advantage and now lysol around my bed making a vertical descent the only way to get to me while I'm sleeping. I also lysol my doorframe to further keep 'em back.

Ahh the joys:)shock:) of spiders.

You sound like you got to much free time, hehe.

What state are you in? The joy of living in canada is no poisonus stuff. Just huge man eating mammals. :0) But next year Ill be living down south, where there are poisonus stuff. Hopefully my photography will educate me on whats poisonus and what isnt. So far it has helped me id birds, plants, mammals, etc with the help of fellow forum members. :0)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back