Continuous Auto Focus

Harrisonbrodney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does this feature have a place in street photography?

When I don't have something in the frame which I want to track, I use flexible spot focus with AF-S. Allows me to pin point exactly where I want it. If there is something in the frame to track then AF-C is certainly very handy. I have my program one setup with flexible spot M and AF-S, then I can click my joystick in and it changes to human tracking AF-C, makes life easy.

At the end of the day regardless of genre, if you have movement in the frame which you wish to maintain focus of, then AF-C is invaluable. ✅

Last edited:
@ClintLloyd gave a good answer above. It doesn't matter what you're doing, all tools have certain functions that are better used in certain situations. Knowing you're tools and their "proper" use will prepare you to make the best choice for the task at yard.

My primary intrest is portrait so I'm mostly on AF-S, spot, so I can precisely place my focal point. If my subject is moving around I'll occasionally switch to Face Detetect.

I will occasionally switch to AF-C but even with moving objects I don't use it much, choosing to move with the subject. The main exception to that is if the subject is moving toward me, I automatically switch to AF-C

The main reason that you might want to not use continuous autofocus is because on some cameras it will drain the battery a bit faster. Realistically, you need to try it yourself and see if how you like it.

Really depends on what you consider "street" photography. Aside from static subjects, fiddling with AF-C and other focus issues with people seems a huge distraction. Playing endlessly with settings isn't why I like street shooting.Single point allowed film shooters to capture great images. I don't use AF-C simply because setting and subject can change unexpectedly when I'm out with a camera. There's nothing canonical about camera settings. YMMV, as always.

Really depends on what you consider "street" photography. Aside from static subjects, fiddling with AF-C and other focus issues with people seems a huge distraction. Playing endlessly with settings isn't why I like street shooting.Single point allowed film shooters to capture great images. I don't use AF-C simply because setting and subject can change unexpectedly when I'm out with a camera. There's nothing canonical about camera settings. YMMV, as always.
I agree: my close buddy is a "button, dial, ring, lever, Q menu" fiddler. His "street photo's" reflect that in many missed chances. His studio stuff is fine. For me? On the street--simply be prepared--as possible.

I agree: my close buddy is a "button, dial, ring, lever, Q menu" fiddler. His "street photo's" reflect that in many missed chances. His studio stuff is fine. For me? On the street--simply be prepared--as possible.
Yup. My venerable X-T1s usually ride at single point AF, so nice with the Fujicron primes.

I use manual focus all the time when doing street photograph, I tend to pre focus every now and then and to be honest I can focus quicker on what I want than the camera no worries about the camera picking the wrong point
At the end of the day if an image is not sharp it down to me regardless of manual or auto focus

I use manual focus all the time when doing street photograph, I tend to pre focus every now and then and to be honest I can focus quicker on what I want than the camera no worries about the camera picking the wrong point
At the end of the day if an image is not sharp it down to me regardless of manual or auto focus
One reason I love the little Ricoh GR II is its "snap focus" focus feature.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back