Camera that will keep shutter open as long as it takes?

SorryImNewToThis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to film photography, but I know already that I want to take low-light photos. I also like old rangefinders for their compact size. I know that some cameras, after you manually set the aperture and ISO, will pick the shutter speed for the light available, but only up to a certain point after which it will tell you it can't take the photo. So then if I want to do a longer exposure than the meter allows, I'd need to use bulb mode.

My question, though, is: are there cameras that combine those two features? Is there a mostly manual film rangefinder that lets me twiddle my initial dials, and then the camera will automatically open/close the shutter for the necessary time without having a built-in cutoff for how long the shutter stays open, whether it's 1/4 second or 1 second or 10 seconds, and without having to manually enter bulb mode?

I'm pretty new to film photography, but I know already that I want to take low-light photos. I also like old rangefinders for their compact size. I know that some cameras, after you manually set the aperture and ISO, will pick the shutter speed for the light available, but only up to a certain point after which it will tell you it can't take the photo. So then if I want to do a longer exposure than the meter allows, I'd need to use bulb mode.

My question, though, is: are there cameras that combine those two features? Is there a mostly manual film rangefinder that lets me twiddle my initial dials, and then the camera will automatically open/close the shutter for the necessary time without having a built-in cutoff for how long the shutter stays open, whether it's 1/4 second or 1 second or 10 seconds, and without having to manually enter bulb mode?
I think 30 seconds is the maximum automatic speed of most cameras. For longer exposures, there is "Bulb" and "Time."

I used to use a cable release that locked in place. Made some exposures close to the hour mark simply using bulb and my wristwatch.

For long exposures, you shouldn't depend on the camera's auto exposure function. That's because film becomes less sensitive to light at long exposures. It's called reciprocity failure. So take some time to learn about that and work out what the best exposures should be for the scenes you are capturing.

I think 30 seconds is the maximum automatic speed of most cameras. For longer exposures, there is "Bulb" and "Time."
Interesting, okay! I don't anticipate needing 30 second exposures but good to know that's a common upper limit.

For long exposures, you shouldn't depend on the camera's auto exposure function. That's because film becomes less sensitive to light at long exposures. It's called reciprocity failure. So take some time to learn about that and work out what the best exposures should be for the scenes you are capturing.

Interesting, thank you for the link! I'll read up. Didn't realize I had to worry about that for a 1-second exposure (which seems short to me but I guess not for a camera!).

I kept seeing cameras that will refuse to take the pic if the light is too low, rather than accommodating whatever settings I've input. Would a camera like the Olympus XA do that?

The venerable Nikon F3 could do hellishly long exposures correctly.

Auto or Manual, 8 seconds to 1/2,000 second. Page 44 of Instruction Manual.
Since new, mine has never required adjustment.

Most reactions

Back