Best 105 Lens for Portraiture

ndwgolf

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
neilsphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have just bought a new Nikon Zf (I get it on Tuesday in Malaysia). Yesterday I saw on eBay a Nikon 105mm f1.8 AIS for around 400 bucks so I asked my mate in KL if he could get me one in Malaysia..... He came back with Ive got one of these the Nikon 105mm f2.0 DC AF-D, so we got chatting and another mate of mine in KL has a Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 ZF...............I cant afford all 3 but out of this bunch what would your recommend for portraiture using old manual lenses

Last edited:
I don't use 105mm for portraiture. My only 105mm lens is a macro lens. My favorite portraiture lens for my Z9 is the Nikon 85mm f/1.8S. IQ is amazing. I like it because I don't have to get in too close for head and shoulder shots, which can make a model nervous, but switch to a 50mm f/1.8S for full body shots. I tend to use them when indoors and in lower light situations. Outdoors, I use the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8S. Again, IQ is amazing and the zoom offers a lot of flexibility with framing. Sooner or later I'll end up getting the 85mm f/1.2S, but $2800 is a bit steep. I do have a couple of older f mount lenses "with character". They are not quite as sharp as the Z mount glass and have a slight color cast, but provide for some beautiful results. Sometimes a lens can be too sharp for portraiture. Of course, you can soften them a bit in post, but it's not quite the same as the older f mount lenses. I usually use the D850 with these lenses, but they work fine with the FTZ II adapter.

I don't use 105mm for portraiture. My only 105mm lens is a macro lens. My favorite portraiture lens for my Z9 is the Nikon 85mm f/1.8S. IQ is amazing. I like it because I don't have to get in too close for head and shoulder shots, which can make a model nervous, but switch to a 50mm f/1.8S for full body shots. I tend to use them when indoors and in lower light situations. Outdoors, I use the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8S. Again, IQ is amazing and the zoom offers a lot of flexibility with framing. Sooner or later I'll end up getting the 85mm f/1.2S, but $2800 is a bit steep. I do have a couple of older f mount lenses "with character". They are not quite as sharp as the Z mount glass and have a slight color cast, but provide for some beautiful results. Sometimes a lens can be too sharp for portraiture. Of course, you can soften them a bit in post, but it's not quite the same as the older f mount lenses. I usually use the D850 with these lenses, but they work fine with the FTZ II adapter.
I’m looking for manual lenses mate. I already have the Z85:1.2. I want to shoot manual lenses on my ZF

I have just bought a new Nikon Zf (I get it on Tuesday in Malaysia). Yesterday I saw on eBay a Nikon 105mm f1.8 AIS for around 400 bucks so I asked my mate in KL if he could get me one in Malaysia..... He came back with Ive got one of these the Nikon 105mm f2.0 DC AF-D, so we got chatting and another mate of mine in KL has a Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 ZF...............I cant afford all 3 but out of this bunch what would your recommend for portraiture using old manual lenses
Of the 3 lenses you mention, the AF DC-Nikkor 105 1/2D would be my choice - just turn AF off.

FWIW, the F-mount 105mm f2.5 AI is "almost" as sharp as the F-mount 105mm f1.4E AF-S. If you don't need or want the defocus control I'd look for the f2.5 version, it also is a sweet match with the Zf look.

The cheap and widely accessible 105 f/2.5 AI-S lens is fantastic. I use the pre-AI (self modified) on my D780 with superb results.

IMG_9455.jpeg

So today I tried 2 of my mates lenses. Nikon 180:2.8 (I hatted it) and the Nikon 105:2.0 Defocus lens. I liked that lens. I haven’t downloaded them onto the computer yet but it handled good on the ZF. On Friday I will try the Zeiss 100:2.0 macro planter. I will post some photos later taken with both of those lenses.

A couple of pictures taken with my new Nikon ZF and a borrowed NIKON AF DC-NIKKOR 105MM F/2D lens (for some reason the AF doesn't work). Ive got this lens for a few days just to see if I like it and if I do then I can buy it for a reasonable price....I really don't want the AF function anyway but first impressions are okay, tomorrow I going to try a Zeiss 100:2.0 Planter lens so I'm looking forward to that.

Neil's-Photography-240424-Fon-KL-day-one-0529.jpg
Neil's-Photography-240424-Fon-KL-day-one-0339.jpg
Neil's-Photography-240424-Fon-KL-day-one-0533.jpg
Neil's-Photography-240424-Fon-KL-day-one-0316.jpg

Looks good and nice model, although I'd say the eyes look a bit OOF but that could be the web compression. Keep in mind if you use the DC at all, any change in your settings requires refocussing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back