Unusual film in the hands of a beginner. Should I shoot it?

TheMarbleMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, first post here inspired from an odd find I found today in an old junk shop on the backroads of Tennessee. This place I frequently get odds and ends from, including a couple cameras. This is one of those places where you dig through piles of junk and occasionally fight a raccoon, so it's not the best. The place is heated by a wood stove (mentioned because this film was found relatively close to it), and decently cooled. So this film may or may not be too bad off.

Anyways, what I found was two unused rolls of 35MM film made by RGB of Hollywood California. From what I can gather, this is ECN2 process film that is movie film spooled into a 35mm can. One roll is 200 speed, another is 400.

So, I am new to film. Not a diehard enthusiast, just a guy who has an old family Argus c3 and an army of various low-mid tier cameras. On the bench I have a Yashica electro 35 that prognosis is poor, Bell and Howell auto 35, and some old point and shoots. All this being said, when/if I try these, is there anything I should know/do for best results? I am mostly just experimenting at this stage and am waiting to get some negatives back to see if my skills have improved, so this is just the beginning of the line here.

Any info or help would be great. Thanks!

That movie film takes a special process which very few labs do these days. Film Rescue is one of them. I myself would not bother with that film and buy some fresh to run through those cams.

• Agree
Reactions: cgw
Here's the deal in late-game 2024. Fresh film and proper processing cost money. "Mystery" film is a dis-economy--crap film processing costs the same as fresh. Relic cameras are iffy at best, often because their light metering is inoperable or off enough to doom the likelihood of printable negs. Upshot? Why bother?
Rethink it all. Fresh film, reliable processing and last gen film cameras might put you in a happy place for film photography. It all still works but has costs and limitations you may not have considered.

Sounds like stuff my father shot, back in the 80s or early 90s I think. I think it was "Seattle Filmworks"; the film was fairly cheap and they included processing. I found a roll when we moved in - I just tossed it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back