The Coffee House

The 2nd dose of the Shingles vax was a killer. I had extreme chills with 5 blankets. I kept reminding myself of how my uncle suffered with shingles for many years and that got me thru the 24 hour pain. Got the Covid vax earlier this month and waiting until the end of Sept. for the flu shot.
I was dragging my feet and one of my coworkers ended up with shingles, and said it was one of the worst experiences in his life, and that anyone who is in the risk group needs to get immunized. Fortunately, I didn't have major issues with the shingles vax.

Change the channel.
Best thing I've done with TV, cut the cable and put up an old school roof top antenna. Now instead of 500 channels with nothing worth watching I have only 50 channels with nothing worth watching. lol But hey, it's free so there's that.

Not a bad payday from a $1.20 outlay🤘... im happy with that.
Screenshot_20240916-132418_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240916-132527_Chrome~2.jpg

Congratulations on your retirement!

:icon_cheers: Congrats!! Happy retirement!

Harlie will have to get used to the new schedule. You'll figure it out together. :) It will really hit home on Monday!

@SquarePeg congratulations on retirement. One of the first things youll notice is you no longer look forward to weekends, cause everyday is weekend 😁

Congrats Sharon.

Thanks all!

Flying into Boston/Logan Thursday morning, then a rental car to Maine for a house tour. Prepared to make a deposit if it looks good. In a nutshell: much older house but seems to be well maintained, lakeside, 3 bedrooms, one bath (need an additional), either a small garage or a large shed, city water and sewer, about 3/4 acre. There would be some projects, but it looks promising. We'll head back thursday night.
What city is it in?

@SquarePeg Congrats on your retirement!!! Harlie may have to adjust to you being under foot LOL. Just in time for all the photos of your beautiful Fall in your area.
Thanks!

@SquarePeg - so - are you bored yet? ;) I have a feeling what the answer is.

How's the first official day of retirement going?

Harlie and I took a walk downtown where I got a pastry and we sat outside and said hello to all the other little old retired ladies like me lol. I am enjoying this gorgeous day that we’re having today and just taking it all in. Next up I’ll be taking her to get her nails trimmed and then I think I might paint for a little while. don’t think I’ll be bored but who knows. I have several lists of things that I want to do and need to do and plan to do. Enough to keep me busy for a while, but it is really just starting to sink in that if I don’t get to something today, I can just do it tomorrow! Weird.

Looks like a nice area. They sure are proud of their houses... I thought North Texas was expensive... not compared to Lewiston/Sabbatus.
That’s New England all over. The housing shortage here is making property values insane.

That’s New England all over. The housing shortage here is making property values insane.
They're building a bazillion single family and muti-family homes around here nonstop. The houses are ridiculously expensive for the most part, and the apartments aren't cheap either, but they are building so many of them that I can't help but wonder when the bottom will fall out of the market. There are still affordable houses, but one has to move further and further out to find them. My DW says that the school she's at is losing students by the year, because families with children can't afford the mortgages or rents, so they are moving to other communities. It will be interesting to see what the future brings.

They're building a bazillion single family and muti-family homes around here nonstop. The houses are ridiculously expensive for the most part, and the apartments aren't cheap either, but they are building so many of them that I can't help but wonder when the bottom will fall out of the market. There are still affordable houses, but one has to move further and further out to find them. My DW says that the school she's at is losing students by the year, because families with children can't afford the mortgages or rents, so they are moving to other communities. It will be interesting to see what the future brings.
I saw a ton of new construction going on last December when I was in Austin, visiting my nephew. He rents, and while we were there, the management company was offering them a cash bonus to renew their lease early. I’m assuming they were trying to prevent their renters from going to a different building because there were three or four brand new buildings that were right in the same general area

Looks like a nice area. They sure are proud of their houses... I thought North Texas was expensive... not compared to Lewiston/Sabbatus.
The homes in this area seem to be priced lower than other places
We’ll see. Along the coast is expensive but it seems the further you get inland and to the north, it gets cheaper. All the houses in this immediate area, except one, are running less that other places we have initially looked at. This one seems to check off most of the needs/wants.

Flying up and back the same day, so minimal stuff in a carryon.

Last edited:
Well I had a close call today. I was mowing my lawn and I use a zero turn mower and out of no where it started freaking out. I had no control, it was going so fast, I don't think its suppose to go that fast, I managed to pull the parking brake and turned it off before I went over the bank and into the brook.

A spring broke off the linkage for one of the hydraulic pumps that controls the wheel and it was stuck maxed out for some reason. After I collected my self, I went down to the hardware store hoping they would have some springs and after a few minutes I found one that was pretty dang close and had slightly better tension. Bought two of them...went back and installed one and went to install the other one and while I was putting it on, this is something I can't explain but I accidentally dropped it on the grass just under where I needed to install it. Couldn't find it. It literally disappeared. How can it? Its big, shinny metal. I looked and looked for nearly an hour combing through the grass and using a huge magnet. Found nothing. I don't understand it. Luckily I was able to reuse the old one from the other side and was able to finish mowing the lawn but how the heck did that disappear? Its beyond me.

Well anyways, that was my day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back