Seeking tips for vintage look photo on Sony A6000

ad20126

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a beginner with the Sony A6000 and I want to shoot JPGs (without or with minimal post-processing) that have a vintage look. Does anyone know how to achieve this? What settings should I use, like white balance, creative style, etc.? Thanks a lot!

The example below is a photo I took, and the second one is after I used a filter in an app to change the colors. I'm not sure if it's vintage, but I like that color tone. Can we achieve such photos directly from the camera?

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 9
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hi everyone. I'm a beginner with the Sony A6000 and I want to shoot JPGs (without or with minimal post-processing) that have a vintage look. Does anyone know how to achieve this? What settings should I use, like white balance, creative style, etc.? Thanks a lot!
Do you have an example of the look you're wanting to emulate? "Vintage" can mean different things.

Editing software and plug-ins deliver the "look." As noted, examples of what you're after would help. Usually in-camera processing is quite limited compared to what's possible in post with RAW files.

Editing software and plug-ins deliver the "look." As noted, examples of what you're after would help. Usually in-camera processing is quite limited compared to what's possible in post with RAW files.
I just added an example to the post.

Using jpeg and attempting to get a specific look straight out of camera is challenging with a camera that won't accept LUTs. You do have some adjustments in there, like sharpness, contrast, brightness, etc.

If you're dead set against using processing software, I'd start by finding a photo that has the look you want and evaluating it. Does it look washed out? Is the contrast light or heavy? Vintage photos tend to have weaker colors and contrast, so you can try to adjust to suit. It's going to be trial and error until you get the look you want.

Using a vintage lens (plus adapter) on your camera would help get you closer.

Hope you don't mind. Quick edit of "before." Old postcard look. Faded, shifted color, detail softened.
PS with Nik Analog Efex Pro 2 plug-in.

before1.jpg

Using jpeg and attempting to get a specific look straight out of camera is challenging with a camera that won't accept LUTs. You do have some adjustments in there, like sharpness, contrast, brightness, etc.

If you're dead set against using processing software, I'd start by finding a photo that has the look you want and evaluating it. Does it look washed out? Is the contrast light or heavy? Vintage photos tend to have weaker colors and contrast, so you can try to adjust to suit. It's going to be trial and error until you get the look you want.
I'll try it. Thank you very much !

Hope you don't mind. Quick edit of "before." Old postcard look. Faded, shifted color, detail softened.
PS with Nik Analog Efex Pro 2 plug-in.

View attachment 277555
"Old postcard" is a really easily accomplished version of "vintage", but if you added that vignette, it may be vintage in certain ways but is not a characteristic typical of old color post cards.

Example attached below is from a Sony but is finished in a very vintage version PS Elements. For this type of scene avoid so called vintage lenses. A sharp image from a modern lens is the foundation.
IMG_6792.jpeg

My PP technique is very simple: Mess around til you get what you like. Thaz the complete instructions. Commit them to memory ! I can offer one advice: Youll never get this look from an original shot in harsh sunlight.

Last edited:

The example below is a photo I took, and the second one is after I used a filter in an app to change the colors. I'm not sure if it's vintage, but I like that color tone. Can we achieve such photos directly from the camera?
I dont know if the attached is the post cardish look you want, but I edited your "before" image using only the easy controls built into my old phone. Your original is below.
IMG_8095.jpeg
IMG_8095.jpeg

Last edited:
The OP checked out in July...

Most reactions

Back