Pentax new camera??

A fairly objective review from Petapixel didn't shy away from discussing the camera's quirks and shortcomings. The design seems to combine some odd and confusing settings controlling zone focus
options and program modes. Then there's the semi-wonky VF whose frame lines fade or vanish depending on lighting. I do still see mid-market Nikon and Canon bodies from their last generation of film cameras--many in nice shape--often with a 50mm--for under $100. Any of those would run rings around the little Pentax. All that's missing is the cachet...
That Pentax 17 is DOA in the photo market. I don't know about the fashion accessories market, but it certainly wasn't designed for photographers.

As a follow up to your second comment; I joined my wife Tuesday for a trip to the thrift store. When I first saw the bag I thought '90s video camera, but I picked it up and looked inside.

First I saw the Nikon N2000 body -- excellent condition.
Next the Nikon AIS 35-105mm zoom -- excellent +.
Next the Nikon AIS 50mm f/1.4 -- nearly like new.
And then the Nikon FM body (chrome) -- excellent condition.
I still wasn't sure I wanted to spend the $14.00 it was all priced tagged.
But then I saw the Nikon AIS 28mm f/2 -- indistinguishable from new.
That clinched it and in my shopping cart it all went.
When I got home I bought batteries for the two bodies -- both working perfectly.
And I put that 28mm f/2 on one of my Fuji bodies and took some test photos -- fabulous and well worth the entire $14.00.
I've added the 28mm to my lens collection and will dispose of the rest shortly.

We are now selling these at the camera store I work at..........and our cost is stupid high so we will make next to nothing. Yes, I'm rolling my eyes.

• Agree
Reactions: cgw
We are now selling these at the camera store I work at..........and our cost is stupid high so we will make next to nothing. Yes, I'm rolling my eyes.
Yup. Too many gummies gulped by the Ricoh product dev crew behind this Pentax fantasy. Just emailed by the big lab in downtown Toronto about a BOGO processing deal over our long Canada Day(7/1)weekend. Biz is steady but not expanding, thanks to inescapable high film costs.

It will either be a homerun or a huge flop. I'm leaning towards a flop.

It will either be a homerun or a huge flop. I'm leaning towards a flop.
They're listed at just south of 700 bucks up here. That buys nice used 35mm SLRs+glass.
I'd say more like a base hit.
Curious how much more R&D money an interchangeable lens camera would have cost Ricoh. Putting off that likely means it won't happen given the demand for film materials. This awkward, kinda p&s camera is way too wonky for the $$$.

Last edited:

Hmm, I remember from the old'n days when I used to be in Photo retail, 7% profit margin on a camera was good ... though we made 75% profit from the printing/developing/film sales.

Yup, in-store labs were gold mines during the 90s into the early 2000s, especially if they could reliably handle E-6 work.
Downtown Camera in Toronto is running lab service deals constantly now. Not sure how to read this but could it be anxiety about volume? They did sink a load of dough into new machinery on the eve of the pandemic. Wonder if "peak film" has come and gone? Hope not!

Not sure how to read this but could it be anxiety about volume?
Our lab has no worry's about that. Only game in town for C-41 and BW film development. I myself am processing around 150-200 rolls of BW each month for the lab at home and the numbers keep getting bigger. Did 207 for June and already have 25 rolls for July. Hey, pays for my rent and now will pay my mortgage.

Reactions: cgw
Apparently sales have been strong. Results have been on the better end (lens is good, but camera's limits are generally as expected).

"Pentax 17 Road Trip Across The USA" posted Jun 26, 2024 by "Thomas Heaton"

Apparently sales have been strong. Results have been on the better end (lens is good, but camera's limits are generally as expected).

"Pentax 17 Road Trip Across The USA" posted Jun 26, 2024 by "Thomas Heaton"

Show us the "sales" figures, please...

Video tripped the onboard "Influencer Warning Sensor." BTW, nice production by Ricoh!

I'll let you guys know when or if we sell one of the 18 we have in stock. From what I here so far peeps just think "It's cool man."
Good luck with that. It would be nice to see a film camera surprise us with upside. I have my fingers crossed, hoping that the two "Holiday cameras" (this one and the Lumix S9) both do well.

I'll let you guys know when or if we sell one of the 18 we have in stock. From what I here so far peeps just think "It's cool man."
Iffy product+bad timing=dud? Five years ago this may have sold if it was 100 bucks cheaper. Hoping "cool" means "ka-ching" at the store register.

A good and balanced review. Not for me, but I do miss that je ne sais quoi of casual film snapshots sometimes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back