Pentax new camera??

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just read an overview of the new Pentax 17 camera.
35mm film, 25mm lens, zone focus, half-frame, auto exposure, manual winding ... and they want U$500 for that?

DOA. Can't believe they spent the $$$ to develop and market this pup. Suspect they're hoping for giddy celeb endorsement. Seems they're hallucinating about developing more advanced models. Hopefully, they keep cranking out the Ricoh GR series.

This looks like dumb fun. Catnip for broke-a$$ hipsters?

I had a Ricoh half-frame camera long time ago ... I think I got it for $10 ... I used to shoot diptych images on slide film and mount them in a full frame mount for projection.

I think this might have been targeted for the Olympics market, but it might be too late now. I mentioned this before "elsewhere" and where-ever I posted it, I don't think it was understood. The point is that potential tourists who have enough money will buy stuff like this either before they leave for where they are going, or buy when they arrive. You need to understand that even $1,000 - $2,000 stuff actually does sell to such people. They are not necessarily photography fans, but this is their big trip and they want to grab a camera for the big event. Whether they are being realistic about being able to use it has nothing to do with it. Some people will drop the money on the chance that they might be able to bring back a memory. The Lumix S9 will probably be a big seller in this market. The new Nikon Z6iii is a bit on the high side, but even that camera might see sales in this type of situation.

Baloney, sliced thick. I appreciate parent Ricoh's sense of humor but a 500 buck zone focus half-frame tchotchke? Maybe the influencers and brand "ambassadors" can help. Film is a residual market in 2024, and I've not seen much evidence that "the film community is larger and stronger than at any time in the last dozen-or-so years..." Seriously? Maybe Ricoh took the mirage of the "film revival" seriously...

I shoot film and like it but spend no time waiting in line at film/lab counters these days.

Any product that encourages the use of film has to be good for us all ultimately in perhaps reducing the cost of film, developers etc etc, so I see no point in decrying this new camera that may well appeal to a different breed of photographers.

Any product that encourages the use of film has to be good for us all ultimately in perhaps reducing the cost of film, developers etc etc, so I see no point in decrying this new camera that may well appeal to a different breed of photographers.
Dream on...At US$ 500, it's more of a retro fashion statement. Film costs have moved up as production dropped for the last two decades. The little 17 won't change that.

Any product that encourages the use of film has to be good for us all ultimately in perhaps reducing the cost of film, developers etc etc,
Hard to believe that stuff like this is encouraging to film manufacturers - quite the opposite, I would think.

A fairly objective review from Petapixel didn't shy away from discussing the camera's quirks and shortcomings. The design seems to combine some odd and confusing settings controlling zone focus
options and program modes. Then there's the semi-wonky VF whose frame lines fade or vanish depending on lighting. I do still see mid-market Nikon and Canon bodies from their last generation of film cameras--many in nice shape--often with a 50mm--for under $100. Any of those would run rings around the little Pentax. All that's missing is the cachet...

Most reactions

Back