Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

I like it as it is - reminds me of some tree branches. I think the open spaces at right balance the splatters.

Last edited:
It’s been too long. Gave an abstract a try. It’s just kind of meh but not sure what it needs. Suggestions welcome. View attachment 279716
I don't think it needs a darn thing. You've covered the surface just enough but left enough open to give this a flowing feel. Looks beautiful!
What is the surface? Must be a trick of the light because it looks like a painted tile. Which would be gorgeous!

I don't think I ever posted what I finally did with that acrylic phone.

I wanted to paint the inside of my home's old phone niche, and that painting was a test. It was hard since I'm not really a painter, and I didn't want to do it again.

Ultimately, I just cut the phone out of the Canson XL sketchpad paper. It has several acrylic layers on it so the piece was at least sturdy, except for the dangling pieces of phone cord. I then used Golden heavy gel medium to glue it to a 12x16" piece of Arches oil paper.

Then it was easy to make a sketch around it and paint a funky background using oil pastels.

Then I took the finished painting on the Arches paper, applied framer's tape on the back around the edges, and inserted/pushed it into the niche.

1726605479339.png

View from the hallway:

1726605523679.png

I've been looking at that bare niche since we moved in, and I'm glad to finally have it done.

Great idea. I like the way the background came out.

So, shall we make the monthly/bi-weekly theme Abstract?
Works for me!

This ties in with my other news - I just got a Gelli plate, though I haven't had much time to play with it. Got interested enough to take a workshop on it, just to try before spending the money. I don't have many stencils or other tools yet.

But abstract is kind of what these things will give you. I bought it thinking about easy backgrounds for image transfers, but there's a lot of things to do with them, once I get the hang of it.

Great! Something else for my wish list. :biglaugh:

I like it as it is - reminds me of some tree branches. I think the open spaces at right balance the splatters.
Thanks! I do feel like something is off but can’t put my finger on it. Abstracts are hard!

I don't think it needs a darn thing. You've covered the surface just enough but left enough open to give this a flowing feel. Looks beautiful!
What is the surface? Must be a trick of the light because it looks like a painted tile. Which would be gorgeous!
Thank you! Well spotted - it’s a 8x8 glossy ceramic tile. I like using them with the alcohol ink because if I don’t like the result I can wipe it clean and start over.

I don't think I ever posted what I finally did with that acrylic phone.

I wanted to paint the inside of my home's old phone niche, and that painting was a test. It was hard since I'm not really a painter, and I didn't want to do it again.

Ultimately, I just cut the phone out of the Canson XL sketchpad paper. It has several acrylic layers on it so the piece was at least sturdy, except for the dangling pieces of phone cord. I then used Golden heavy gel medium to glue it to a 12x16" piece of Arches oil paper.

Then it was easy to make a sketch around it and paint a funky background using oil pastels.

Then I took the finished painting on the Arches paper, applied framer's tape on the back around the edges, and inserted/pushed it into the niche.

View attachment 279718

View from the hallway:

View attachment 279719

I've been looking at that bare niche since we moved in, and I'm glad to finally have it done.
This is so cool!

Thanks! I do feel like something is off but can’t put my finger on it. Abstracts are hard!

Thank you! Well spotted - it’s a 8x8 glossy ceramic tile. I like using them with the alcohol ink because if I don’t like the result I can wipe it clean and start over.

This is so cool!
Thanks! It was fun when it wasn't annoying me. :lol:

About the tile - you're clever to use a substrate that can be reused, but I think this one is very successful. That shiny tile background is elegant.

Great! Something else for my wish list. :biglaugh:
Well, you're partly to blame! ;) You first mentioned gelli plate right here in this thread, I believe. I had no clue what you were talking about. At some point I came across another mention, so started to explore. Then this little workshop came up locally, so that was timely.

Off to Maine, tomorrow to look at a couple houses, so I may not get anything done tonight. I have a couple general ideas for my abstract - or at least the "inspiration" for them. If not tonight, I'll do something over the weekend. MLW is going to be working 24 at the Watch Office so it will be just me, the cat, and maybe MLSIL sitting around.

Off to Maine, tomorrow to look at a couple houses, so I may not get anything done tonight. I have a couple general ideas for my abstract - or at least the "inspiration" for them. If not tonight, I'll do something over the weekend. MLW is going to be working 24 at the Watch Office so it will be just me, the cat, and maybe MLSIL sitting around.
Do you have the concept of a painting? 🤣🤣🤣

I do. I've been thinking about how to put it on paper but I'll probably just dive in, as usual.

Most reactions

Back