How Italian is my Neighborhood?

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Out this morning walking around the neighborhood and grabbed some snaps that show its ethnic heritage. First is the flower garden in Berra Park. It's laid out in the shape of Italy. I remember when they first put it in they only did Italy. Opps! It didn't take long before Sicily and Sardinia showed up (along with Corsica just in case). And yes that's Berra as in Yogi Berra (the park is actually named for Midge Berra one of Yogi's relatives and local politician). The park is at the corner of Macklind and Elizabeth -- Yogi's boyhood home is a 1/2 block east on Elizabeth.

And we have a piazza -- the Piazza Imo across the street from St. Ambrose Catholic church. Imo's pizza (not piazza) is the signature thin crust pizza of St. Louis. Third photo is a closer look at the Frizella fountain in the center of the piazza. Frank Frizella was a local businessman and founder of Frizella's Nursery originally located in the neighborhood on Elizabeth Ave., but, much larger now, today it's out in Defiance MO. Fuji X-T4 w/16-55mm.

berra-pk.jpg

piazza-imo.jpg

fountain.jpg

I've never heard of the fountain. Is this on the Hill?

I've never heard of the fountain. Is this on the Hill?
Oops, sorry I didn't mention the name of the neighborhood -- yes The Hill. The Piazza Imo is relatively new (2019) and is located on Marconi Ave. directly across from St. Ambrose (38.61538451416662, -90.2731732984239). It's worth a visit if you're in the area.

Nice. Our old flat in Toronto's Little Italy was in the ground zero 'hood for fall garage processing of stacks of wine grapes, baskets of San Marzanos and peppers. Miss it.

Love it!! How fun to have this around, and be able to appreciate the local history. Great neighborhood vibe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back