Help with new camera please

Poppu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So currently have a compact camera but now have funds for a new camera and the time to do more photography - retired :)

want camera for - landscape and wildlife predominately
want mirrorless
no affiliation for make
no be doing any vlogging etc
budget for lens and camera up to £1800

have been signposted to
canon EOS R100
RF 24-240
RF 10-18

having looked online I see other makes in the price range , would really appreciate anyone's thoughts or further signposting

thanks

I like the suggestion of the Sony RX10. But I understand the feeling of changing lenses etc when it's all new and exciting, it just adds to the whole experience I think.

Nothing wrong with the Canon setup or the RX10 option, they'll both serve you well, but I can't help but feel like a bit more of a financial reach towards full frame (if you can) as it will save the want for an upgrade later on. Even the much better camera and lens weather sealing alone is worth the bit extra in my opinion. Example, a Sony A7CII or A7IV with Tamron, Sigma or Samyang lenses will give you fantastic performance and weather sealing etc. It's piece of mind when you're out in the elements. 🙂

The RX10 M4 is a great camera, it was my first Sony. If you're not opposed to used, take a look at https://www.mpb.com/en-uk . I'm partial to Sony having come from Canon and Olympus. They have a number of great offerings. Small form in the a6xxx series is very good especially their offerings of the last 3 or 4 years.

I like the suggestion of the Sony RX10. But I understand the feeling of changing lenses etc when it's all new and exciting, it just adds to the whole experience I think.

A bag of lenses walking up a steep hill, oh joy..... :eek-73: :onthego:

I was a personal trainer for years. I guess I just can't shake it... 😄

So currently have a compact camera but now have funds for a new camera and the time to do more photography - retired :)

want camera for - landscape and wildlife predominately
want mirrorless
no affiliation for make
no be doing any vlogging etc
budget for lens and camera up to £1800

have been signposted to
canon EOS R100
RF 24-240
RF 10-18

having looked online I see other makes in the price range , would really appreciate anyone's thoughts or further signposting

thanks
Fuji camera, XT-5 many lenses to choose from, X-Mount. Favorite of mine: 23mm f/2 x-mount, maybe a 18-135mm zoom.
Check KEH for great deals on cameras and lenses and just about everything else.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts , an away to look at them in better detail
Cheers

Nothing wrong with the Canon setup or the RX10 option, they'll both serve you well, but I can't help but feel like a bit more of a financial reach towards full frame (if you can) as it will save the want for an upgrade later on. Even the much better camera and lens weather sealing alone is worth the bit extra in my opinion. Example, a Sony A7CII or A7IV with Tamron, Sigma or Samyang lenses will give you fantastic performance and weather sealing etc. It's piece of mind when you're out in the elements. 🙂
Hello

I have been told you can only use cannon lens on cannon rtf , the lens garmin ,sigma and Samsung , which cameras do they fit please

Hello,

Is there one lens which does it all please ?

@Poppu Canon, Sony and Fuji are all solid brands. Canon might have an edge when it come to lenses , especially in the secondary market.

I'm in the die hard few category as a lifelong Pentaxian. Back in the 60s I started with Yashica, Nikon, Cannon and Pentax. When Pentax went to the K mount system on lenses in 1975, I've stayed with them ever sense. Pentax has always maintained a forward/backward compatibility for their K mount lenses. Every manufacturer has lenses throughout the years that are better than others. Some of my most prized lenses are Legacy glass that can still out perform the latest greatest. Not to mention the money saved over the years.

You don't give a budget, but a couple suggestions the latest K3Miii is the flagship APS-C offering - PENTAX K-3 Mark III - Ricoh I still own/use the K3ii because its such a solid performer. You can probably pickup a good K3ii on the used market for less than half the Miii. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

For full frame I have the K1MII which is my main camera. Here's another advantage of Pentax, full frame lenses interchange with the APS-C and many of the crop sensor offering will interchange with the full frame, so if you start with Pentax APS-C and decide later you want to upgrade to a full frame, you don't have to buy new glass.

Last edited:
Hello

I have been told you can only use cannon lens on cannon rtf , the lens garmin ,sigma and Samsung , which cameras do they fit please

I'm not sure if you can get adapters for Canon RF so you can put different brand lenses on there, you might have to look into that. Also, Garmin and Samsung don't make lenses, only Sigma from that list which make a large range for E Mount and L Mount, you should look into that too. ✅

The Sony RX10 IV is an impressive all-in-one camera that has amazing range for wildlife. I had one a few years ago. It has the same sensor size as the compact Sony RX100, but the RX10 IV is much bigger. It is actually a pretty bulky camera. That is not an issue for the great reach it provides if you need that reach, but if you are not using it for the longer focal lengths, then the extra weight is a bit of a burden. I also found it really awkward to use for macro photography. All cameras are compromises, so just know what the limits are.

Interesting that @ClintLloyd would advise full frame as an "upgrade". FF is the opposite side of the spectrum from the very small frame of the RX10 series. Full frame commits you to heavier and more expensive lenses.

I have the Canon R5, which is a great FF camera, and upgraded to the Canon R7, which is crop-frame. The R7, with all its compromises, has incredible pixel density which is perfect for distant birds and also for macro of bugs.

Nobody can tell you what camera to get, because nobody here understands your needs well enough, but it is fun to talk about the pros and cons of different systems.

If you are unsure, it is best IMO to invest less money for now until you get a better understanding of your needs and wants.

Not sure what "you can only use cannon lens on cannon rtf , the lens garmin ,sigma and Samsung" means, but you can use Canon EF lenses and also third party lenses on Canon RF cameras with an adapter. There are tons of those lenses on the used market.

Actually the Canon R cameras are easier to find adapters for older lenses, than the EF cameras. Not that it's important for most people, but the distance to the sensor, meant the FD lenses were nearly impossible to use on the EF cameras, without a costly and special adapter. Mirrorless, you can put all kinds of things on, from all kinds of other manufacturers.

I don't know Sony or Fuji because I've been a Canon kind of person since the 60s. But, from friends and people on forums, the smaller mirrorless from those two, are very capable cameras. Nikon is also good. You have to decide on your own, what you want to do and how far into the accessories and lenses you'll be going in the future.

If you are doing wildlife and nature, you'll surely want more than a 24-240mm eventually. Whatever brand you choose, think about a 300mm, at least, or an adapter and a 300mm or 400mm prime lens, from some other maker.

Just something far out there. The older mirror lenses, which will be manual in many ways, you can go to 500mm or 600mm, with an adapter, and get some nice photos, for a budget price, on your new mirrorless camera. Could be some fun and a real value for wildlife?

Hello

I have Tamron and Sigma lenses on my Canon, and (checks bag) no Canon lenses at all... Whatever you decide on, happy snapping, and remember to share your images with us. 🙂

Most reactions

Back