Facebook photoshop groups I hate them. - warning rant in thread

Woolsocks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been using Photoshop for 24 years. And the user groups I join all suck. And some of the users and mods are so stupid it angers me.

Like: A user posts an image of a wedding couple. Black and white and over exposed. White and hazy. But upon close inspection the grooms face has been brushed over with the paint brush in photoshop with white. I could even see the perfect circle of the default brush. And this creep got so many likes. Then he said he used "ai" to reconstruct the face he intentionally mashed up. The ai didn't do a great job because it appeared the wall had some carpet cloned over it. I mean it was really nasty job.

Another user posts a woman on a bar stool in front of a very dirty cotton sheet. And since I believe he uploaded to a photoshop user group I edit it for him and clean it up. 5 minutes. And his response is to threaten me in spanish. !!!! Then the mods tell me that I can't argue with users and remove my comment and give me a warning. A warning!! But do nothing to the user who types in spanish.. Then like ants to a fallen piece of cake all these spanish users type out how brilliant his terrible image is.

There's always one troll in a group who always without fail trolls my posts. And the mods don't react even when he repeatedly breaks their own rules.

I join an HDR group. They have 30 thousand members. But each post only gets about 6 likes. The HDR's are unimaginative and bland. I start posting and I'm told I made 10 comments and that I'm to active. What the hedge. Or I'm told my photographs that are HDR are not up to their standards. So I post a luminance histogram proving that my photograph is in fact an HDR and I get banned. Come on!!!!!! Some admins post images that they request c&c on but when I point out embarrassing details they over looked. LIke their naked reflection on a freaking silver cup in the corner of their indoor real estate hdr. I get banned for noting it. ARHGHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I even joined some chinese photography groups on facebook that go against the policies that facebook has. Like active racism and terrorism. And I get a report feedback that their terrorism isn't breaking facebook rules. There are photography groups that photoshop people in wheel chairs and seriously disabled people and place political "funnies" over them in Mandarin chinese.

I'm not a member of any facebook PS group. I have found that most if not all FB groups are populated by enthusiastic beginners that could use a hand from time to time. If this is not something you enjoy doing given your level expertise, don't join these groups in the first place.

I was on FB back in 2011 for about 3 months and said to myself.....this place is LAME. Have not been back since. I prefer forums but as with forums so many I was on have gone to FB. If this place went there I'd be like...See ya wouldn't want to be ya.

I've never had any social media in my whole life. This forum and the one I was on before here are the only times I've ever spoken to people online. From the start of social media I just couldn't work out for the life of me how any logical person could see it as beneficial for humanity as a whole, and all I see these days is it's wake of destruction on the psychology of those around me.

For the most part, social media was created to dumb society down and keep them concentrating on meaningless crap. A control mechanism, and a genius one at that, it works like a charm. It speaks volumes of the societal programming to have the majority completely addicted to something they know is almost entirely self destructive.

I've never had any social media in my whole life. This forum and the one I was on before here are the only times I've ever spoken to people online. From the start of social media I just couldn't work out for the life of me how any logical person could see it as beneficial for humanity as a whole, and all I see these days is it's wake of destruction on the psychology of those around me.

For the most part, social media was created to dumb society down and keep them concentrating on meaningless crap. A control mechanism, and a genius one at that, it works like a charm. It speaks volumes of the societal programming to have the majority completely addicted to something they know is almost entirely self destructive.
Couldn’t put it any better.

Nomad, vagabond call me what you will🤘... hmm no facebook nor twitter here. Not much of a people person am i, creatures are just so much easier to get along with.

But they dont talk back, especially bunnys there silent creatures🤪.

I restrict social media to friends and family, it's a good form of communication. I think the groups on FB are for the most part a waste, because they don't seem to be serious. The trolls are funny though, had a person post a picture of a sardine from a tin in a fishkeeping group and ask if anyone knew what was wrong with their fish. Trolls will be trolls.

I also restrict social media to friends, family and people I know from work (i.e. good acquaitances) and I dread going to local photography groups because they feel so elitist and also undereducated at the same time. What these people do there is just downright gatekeeping because they'll bash you for literally everything: using Photoworks instead of Photoshop, asking about AI editing, your editing skills (merged with claiming they'd never do XYZ), yada yada. Some of them also do videography and they'll happily crucify beginners for using something like Capcut or Clipify and/or finding Davinci Resolve difficult, etc. It's like they forgot they were beginners once, too, and their attitude makes these groups a place you never want to be or chat in.

Yeah it's so frustrating and you guys are so right. In every post you made to this thread I agree ( Not surprisingly). I spent 4 hours giving away free time editing over 30 pictures in one group. And in the rules it said no user is allowed to ask for edits, only if someone edits they're image an posts it as a reply. And unless someone who makes a new post expressively points out they don't want their photograph edited or don't want constructive criticism, then the user is free to edit their photographs. After joining their group their posts bumped from 8 posts a day to 24. Then today after 2 days they changed their rules and banned me promptly for editing a admins friends post who never read the rules. I had a user "friend" me and then tell me " I looked at your pictures and can't find anything to use against you" So your not a liar, but I don't like you anyway. And proceeded to block me.

I went onto discord today and talked on the "official/unoffical" adobe photoshop channel. I helped out 5 people with Photoshop.

I also restrict social media to friends, family and people I know from work (i.e. good acquaitances) and I dread going to local photography groups because they feel so elitist and also undereducated at the same time. What these people do there is just downright gatekeeping because they'll bash you for literally everything: using Photoworks instead of Photoshop, asking about AI editing, your editing skills (merged with claiming they'd never do XYZ), yada yada. Some of them also do videography and they'll happily crucify beginners for using something like Capcut or Clipify and/or finding Davinci Resolve difficult, etc. It's like they forgot they were beginners once, too, and their attitude makes these groups a place you never want to be or chat in.

I guess each photography group is different. When I went to a local group back in 2007 I found some stuff they used as guides to be very much out of date. And some users were clueless about photoshop and talked about how expensive it is, but then shelled out $2000 on a new lens. Yet they were not mindless rule mongers or mean hearted people. There were so many that had great idea's and went out of they're way to help. And no one stopped them and said hey man he didn't ask you for help, shut up.

I've never been in no gumby photography group. But from what I hear it's basically just a bunch of jealous weirdos all arguing over whose two star photography is better than the other... 🙄

The "Photoshop" groups on Facebook are using the word in the generic sense—that is, like a verb and not a proper noun. Adobe tries to discourage this, but it is too ingrained in the language now to ever change. As noted above, these are mostly newcomers to photography or digital imaging and most use their phones and free AI apps to "edit" photos. Most are very poorly done and often receive high praise from those who know even less about it than the so-called "editors". I have joined and left several of these groups over the years, and find that the moderators and "group experts" know very little or nothing about their own topic and often give misinformation. I have argued about Photoshop with people who admitted they didn't have it, never used it, and didn't even own a computer. I have seen groups with "Photoshop" in the title that say "We edit your photos using Remini, Pxlr, Photopea," etc, etc.

I currently belong to just one of these groups that I participate in when I get the urge. Most of the pictures presented for editing are so bad that no one can really "fix" them, and many of the people are asking for things that are impossible in the first place. Still, it's fun and good practice, and a good way to try out new Photoshop tools and features.

As for social media dumbing you down, I think that is on you. I just pass by the ancient alien and flat earth stuff, and read the stories that might interest me. No one is forcing me to believe anything I don't want to believe.

Hi all
up front I am a relic of the past.
so I don’t do face book, apps what or whatever it’s called. BUT I do cring when the g kids and nephew says something has to be true because someone on line said it was.
latest is that I don’t NEED all my kit, the pc, and the software PSE9 to edit photos....
maybe you don’t for the effects he does but to merg 30 shots into one 2m long panorama... thanks I will stick / stay stuck in the past

As for social media dumbing you down, I think that is on you. I just pass by the ancient alien and flat earth stuff, and read the stories that might interest me. No one is forcing me to believe anything I don't want to believe.

Choosing which conspiracy theory you wish to engage with is nowhere near what I was getting at. I was referring to the damage it does to the mind by 1. People constantly seeing everyone else's life highlight reel, and 2. The stress it causes someone to constantly feel the pressure themselves to adhere to the same principles.

A beautiful control mechanism, keeping people in fear and jealousy purely from the judgement of people they couldn't even care about. It creates the perfect collective mindset. ✅

Most reactions

New Topics

Back