Yalls Thoughts On My First Neg. Police Encounter

How do you handle being asked/demanded to delete a photo?

• Comply

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Refuse

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had you said upfront that you had Asperger's... that makes a big difference in all this. Of course I don't know you to know how the condition affects you, but I have worked with enough kids with autism to know that unusual behaviors are usually part of that condition. Maybe not so much with Asperger's; since I worked with kids with more significant delays I don't know as much about that specific diagnosis.

I would say it's causing a problem to just keep wandering around but not shopping or even chatting with people. That to me is an unusual behavior. If you had gotten to know some of the vendors and eventually said you had Asperger's they might have been more able to show some empathy with who you are and what you're doing. Then they might understand that you enjoy photography but find it challenging to interact with people. As it is, they probably don't know what you're doing because it borders on getting stalkerish and has been annoying.

You mentioning rights being for not what people love but what pisses them off and telling someone to go suck a lemon sounds like maybe you just want to go there and cause trouble. If that's how it is, then I guess you'll manage to keep getting yourself in trouble. Or you could think about finding some support for dealing with Asperger's.

If the issue is that it's a challenge for you to interact with people then I think you'll need to start learning how to get more comfortable doing that if you want to keep taking photos at events. Now it's probably going to be more of a challenge to be accepted at the flea market after this incident. I think your best chance of that is to go be honest with people - start talking to the vendors so they get to know who you are and that your intent was not to cause trouble but to enjoy walking around taking pictures. Eventually you could talk to someone there about your challenges with your diagnosis and maybe they'd be more understanding. It's going to take some courage I imagine to go back there and try to make things better so you can enjoy the flea market again.

Just because you have Asperger, or you are antisocial, it doesn't really matter. If you can not handle those kinds of people, you will lose your privilege as a photographer in public places.

This is as ridiculous a statement as I've read in a very long time. Do you understand what it's like to have Asperger's, or "be antisocial" or shy, or have social anxiety? Are you really suggesting that someone who has difficulty with social interactions has no right to photograph in public?

Just because you have Asperger, or you are antisocial, it doesn't really matter. If you can not handle those kinds of people, you will lose your privilege as a photographer in public places.

This is as ridiculous a statement as I've read in a very long time. Do you understand what it's like to have Asperger's, or "be antisocial" or shy, or have social anxiety? Are you really suggesting that someone who has difficulty with social interactions has no right to photograph in public?

I'm saying he needs to overcome his personal challenge, if he wants to be a good photographer. I have met people with autism, and they are very bright.

It's not that he shouldn't be taking photos, it seems to be more a matter of taking photos at public events and how you interact with people. It's probably going to be difficult to do event photography without developing better skills in interacting with people.

I found that doing sports and events when I had a media pass shooting at ice level some nights I felt like, what am I, the information booth? because people were coming up and asking me questions during intermissions often enough (I sent them to Will Call...). In general at events it seems like you end up talking to people at some point...

I think this was a rocky start so the challenge now will probably be how to move forward and turn it around to make it a more positive experience for the OP and the vendors at the flea market.

Thank you for substantiating the need for responsibility as it is each individuals responsibility to know their rights.

Sadly, just as misinformed the masses are about their rights, so too are they willing to gleefully enforce 'rights' they do not have

i cant believe i had to actually work today and not contribute to this gem-of-a-thread...

I'm saying he needs to overcome his personal challenge, if he wants to be a good photographer. I have met people with autism, and they are very bright.

Being bright has nothing to do with the conversation.
You don't have to be a social butterfly to be a good photographer, and to suggest that this is a necessary component is arrogant and wrong.

Also, the op is talking to us in this thread. He doesn't sound like he has Asperger's syndrome.

The OP said explicitly that he has Asperger's - are you saying that the OP is lying? Do you have any idea what the difference is between communicating through writing and communicating face-to-face? Because interacting through the internet is an entirely different thing than interacting in public. There are so many people - not just those on the spectrum - who can express themselves much more easily through writing than in person.

Asperger Syndrome

Last edited:

Being bright has nothing to do with it. Autism isn't about intelligence.
You don't have to be a social butterfly to be a good photographer, and to suggest that this is a necessary component is arrogant and wrong.

Also, the op is talking to us in this thread. He doesn't sound like he has Asperger's syndrome.

The OP said explicitly that he has Asperger's - are you saying that the OP is lying? Do you have any idea what the difference is between communicating through writing and communicating face-to-face? Because interacting through the internet is an entirely different thing than interacting in public. There are so many people - not just those on the spectrum - who can express themselves much more easily through writing than in person.

Asperger Syndrome

The op was being more dominant photographer than being as Asperger. I volunteer at the school with autism. They are very nice fellows.

The op was being more dominant photographer than being as Asperger. I volunteer at the school with autism. They are very nice fellows.

Once again, this has no bearing on whether or not the OP can be a good photographer. The jump from "You have Asperger's" to "You lost your right to do this kind of photography if you can't talk to people easily because of your Asperger's" is ludicrous.

Once again, this has no bearing on whether or not the OP can be a good photographer. The jump from "You have Asperger's" to "You lost your right to do this kind of photography if you can't talk to people easily because of your Asperger's" is ludicrous.

I'm saying if the op keeps up this behavior at the flea market, he will more likely get kick-out or ban for good. I don't know why you are upset about this.

If I was a flea marker vendor and some guy kept hanging around with his camera, I would definitely be annoyed. I'd like like oh no here's that tosser waving his phallic replacement around again. You can spot them with their photo vests, backwards baseball cap and general lack of grooming.

I would then wonder why he's photographing me working. Is he hiding behind the camera try to compensate for a lack of social skills?

This is why small cameras rule. When I'm on vacation, I use a smart phone or a small compact camera. Never had a problem. Also, ask for permission before taking someone's photo; that's simple manners.

What's really disturbing is here is someone who thinks it's HIS right to determine what SOMEONE ELSE'S RIGHTS should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back