Why I'm cancelling my Adobe subscription

floatingby

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographie.floatingby.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I've got 30 hours aboard a ferry crossing the Mediterranean, stuck on a boat with no internet, absolute best time to edit travel photos, right? I thought so, but Adobe had other ideas!

LRferry.jpg

Thankfully, I had another piece of software to use, one from another vendor that didn't use a subscription model. Still I'm paying Adobe to be inconvenienced?

No, just no.

Your concern has been noted before by quite a few people who like to travel and who want to work on their photos without an internet connection so that the manufacturer can make sure the software they want to use is registered. Some would say we need to excuse the behavior of the 800-pound gorilla in the room. Other people don't see it that way.

Imagine if Nikon, or Canon or Sony or Pentax just one day out of the blue told us that they would no longer sell us cameras, but we would be forced to rent them for $10 a month for the rest of our lives. I'm sure we would all be screaming with Glee.

This problem is also true with various industrial software.

Its part of the money system they establish.

So, i try to find a single purchase system.
or, free ware.

I am still using no longer supported Aperture 3.6 on Apple OS Mojave and as long as I don't move to Catalina the very latest OS it works great and no internet required.I have nothing Adobe not even flash and I can't blame you for leaving it behind. Personally I hate feeling like I am married to software and don't care how cheap per month it is.I rather have a one off payment software that don't need a connection.

I would recommend Adobe Photoshop Elements as a stand-alone editing programme........

I've been without internet for 2-3 days and was able to use adobe Lightroom and Photoshop with no problems. It is my understanding that you just have to connect to the internet to "verify" it at least once every 30 days to keep it going.

Sorry that you have this issue.

I've been without internet for 2-3 days and was able to use adobe Lightroom and Photoshop with no problems. It is my understanding that you just have to connect to the internet to "verify" it at least once every 30 days to keep it going.

Sorry that you have this issue.
It's apparently a documented bug in their anti-theft software, one that affect a "small percentage of their user base", it has been there for years so they are evidently in no rush to fix it. Something to do with time settings on the machine, but I'm one the "small percentage" twice since both my desktop and laptop are afflicted.
In any case, heads up for those who plan on traveling, either don't use Adobe products or, at the very least, make sure you have alternative software.

It would be nice if more people understood what the PING protocol is from Adobe. Is it somehow tied to location services? Is it once every 30 days? Is it once every 10 days?

It would be nice if more people understood what the PING protocol is from Adobe. Is it somehow tied to location services? Is it once every 30 days? Is it once every 10 days?
A search online will reveal answers which are vague and sometimes conflicting. I believe the anti theft software isn't made by Adobe but by a third party, that would explain why they are being vague on the subject.

This is interesting. I did not know that one had to connect to the net regularly to be able to use the programme.
I am going to stick with my PSE 9 ok it’s a bit limited by today’s standards but it works

Adobe will keep the subscription going for 30 days if you pay monthly or 99 days if you pay annualy. But that seems to run from the last time you logged out of Creative Cloud, or the last date the software pinged the server. So to "reset" your allowance you should log out of creative cloud and then back in shortly before you travel.

It's a pain if you first run into this issue and you weren't aware of it, but it's usually manageable.

Has anyone waded through the EULA to see what it says? It should give some sort of minimum interval...

Has anyone waded through the EULA to see what it says? It should give some sort of minimum interval...

I had a look but I couldn't see anything that spells out the verification period. Just a blanket statement indemnifying Adobe if any services are unavalible.

I’m impressed by anybody who looks for and reads an EULA. In my experience, there are two types of people when it comes to fully reading the EULA when software is initially installed and registered:
  1. People who click “ok” without reading, and
  2. Liars. ;)

I’m impressed by anybody who looks for and reads an EULA. In my experience, there are two types of people when it comes to fully reading the EULA when software is initially installed and registered:
  1. People who click “ok” without reading, and
  2. Liars. ;)

Three types: "What's a EULA?" lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back