Fuji 35MM F2
f/5.6 1/250 s
ISO 160 EXP 0
no flash

DSCF1167.jpg

DSCF1168.jpg

Last edited:
Second one (DSCF1168) is my preference.

The first one is more dramatic, highlighting the steps in a wide angle format. But those steps are not that interesting (to me). The steps are not the subject. The second puts more emphasis on the subject (the three people) using the columns as background. To me, the columns and the second lamp post are more interesting than the steps.

I would suggest making a square crop of the second photo, removing more of the steps at the bottom.

The photo might also be improved with more attractive or more interesting subjects. A single person might be better.

The second, the humans in the 1st are to close to the edge of the frame, they need more negative space. The bottom of the stairs cropped out makes a huge difference too👍.

So make that the 3rd🤘, well done.

Not sure any amount of cropping would do much for this visual muddle. Simply put: too many visual elements as presented with little interconnection. That strong element of the stairs should run left to right. As it stands, my eye bounces around the frame like a pachinko ball. What helps greatly to integrate and calm the shot is a simple horizontal flip. Try it.

Not sure any amount of cropping would do much for this visual muddle. Simply put: too many visual elements as presented with little interconnection. That strong element of the stairs should run left to right. As it stands, my eye bounces around the frame like a pachinko ball. What helps greatly to integrate and calm the shot is a simple horizontal flip. Try it.
The left to right rule is a piece of superstition based on false logic. The rule is valid only for believers.

Do you think high school year book portraits should all be looking in the same direction?

Do you think the great masters oriented their subjects all looking to the right?

Do you think true artists feel bound by any rule?

The left to right rule is a piece of superstition based on false logic. The rule is valid only for believers.

Do you think high school year book portraits should all be looking in the same direction?

Do you think the great masters oriented their subjects all looking to the right?

Do you think true artists feel bound by any rule?
Seriously? Might be best to limit your comments to the shot. That's the point of this particular forum.

Please keep it on point guys, or the thread will be locked.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back