Which lenses? Black Friday?

kiwi314

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We lost our home, Nikon D750 and lenses in a wildfire. Hoping to replace it quickly with a Sony a7riii, but outside of narrowing down which camera body, I haven’t had a chance to figure out what lenses to replace with.

On the D750, I mainly used my Nikor 50mm 1.8. Second most used lens was my Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro VC. Which lenses would replace this/these well on the Sony? I had prime lenses because they were more affordable while retaining quality, but it doesn’t have to be prime if quality. I mainly use it for capturing us and others on adventures and day to day, as well as self family portraits. Any Black Friday deals on this camera or lenses?

TIA!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your house / camera, hopefully everyone is ok, things can be replaced...

It appears that the Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 is not favored for those needing fast AF ... but other 50's jump in price.
The Sony FE 90mm G macro is highly rated.

Nikon, USA had a $1,200 Black Friday price reduction on the D750 with a two-lens kit. Since the Sony a7 series is full-frame (24mmx36mm sensor size) like the Nikon D750 is, then a Sony 50mm and a 90- to 100mm macro lens would be exact replacements. I would not worry about a zoom lens kit and "quality"...the zoom lenses sold today are pretty high quality, and technical image quality counts for far,far less than having the best focal length for the shooting situation or subject. Yes, a 50mm prime lens gives a nice, sharp picture, but the lens is rather boring in its rendering of scenes, but something like a 24-120mm zoom lens makes a D750 into a capable camera that can frame from wide-angle at 24 and 28mm, to semi-wide angle from 29 to 45mm, and can then give "normal" lens drawing in the 46 to 60mm range, and then moves into the telephoto realm from 70mm to medium telephoto at the 100 to 120mm zone; This is why Canon went with the 24-105mm zoom, and Nikon a 24-120mm as the basic "good kit" lens for theCanon 5D and Canon 6D and the Nikon D700 and D750 full-frame bodies with the 24-120 as one option; a widfe-to-telephoto zoom lens creates a capable camera setup with just one,single zoom lens mounted.

An alternate zoom option is a 24mm to 85mm zoom: also a very capable one-lens choice, affordable, and not too heavy. Still, in any brand, there is the 50mm f/1.8 prime lens option; I do NOT think a 50m f/1.4 is typically worth the extra money over the slower f/1.8 model lens, for most people. Tamron's 90mm f/2.8 macro lens has been good for decades (I have one), and Tokina makes a 100mm f/2.8 ATX Pro. Almost any brand of 90- to 105-mm macro lens will perform splendidly.

I hope you get things replaced and back on-track.

Hoping to replace it quickly with a Sony a7riii, ..
Why the switch to Sony?

While I had the D750 I couldn’t help thinking perhaps I should’ve opted for a smaller mirrorless. The reason it wasn’t with me on vacation and at home getting burnt to a crisp was because it was too bulky to bring along in our little vacation stroller. I can’t help but think if I had mirrorless I never would’ve lost it.

Also, the specs on the new a7riii beat the D750. Don’t get me wrong though, I loved my Nikon.

Another reason I’m thinking prime lenses is the size/weight. Looking at possibly the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8, and perhaps either the Zeiss Batis 85 1.8 or the Sony 90 2.8 macro.

Looks like I am late with this information, but I'll post it anyway. Last year Sony brought out an 85mm F1.8 FE lens which was about half the price of the Batis. There are a few comparison videos that were made. This one is by "TheCameraStore" which is the same crew that is now doing "DPReview" videos.

"Sony FE 85mm F1.8 vs Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Field Test (In Thailand!)" Mar 21, 2017,

I have started to keep an eye out for Sony lenses to go on sale. For me specifically ziess 55mm 1.8

I just got into Sony system in April but I have seen them do a manufacture “rebate” sale that’s across all retailers. Not sure yet on the frequency or pattern to them doing this yet though.

DafontMapQuestFileHippo

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back