Weekly challenge 9/1 - 9/7 Color blind

Thank you @SquarePeg :)

If a photo is about shapes or shadows it's an automatic B&W candidate for me.

Black paint dripped through onto white cardboard and made a scary old backpacking clown.

bw chal-1-12.jpg

I hav e no skill with b&w conversions. Feedback welcome.

Hope you don't mind I played with your shot. I was going to suggest bringing up a little more white, but I got a little carried away.

bw chal-1-13.jpg

Suggestions or edits welcome. In Silver Efex, I jog between filters and then play with the parameters. It sorta feels like the eye doctor when you have to pin down which one is better. Stabbing in the dark here.
Snicker 1 by Cheryl, on Flickr

Snicker 2 by Cheryl, on Flickr

I find it a unique challenge to make an image that works in both color or b&w. I’m not sure I’m successful, but it’s a fun challenge!

Edited to add: Shot 9/3/18 - Canon EOS 6D - EF 40mm f/2.8 STM

IMG_6557.jpg

IMG_6557.jpg

IMG_6579.jpg

IMG_6579.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yesterday just before sunset I was taking advantage of the light on a row of retired farm equipment. I turned and saw that Chelsey, the matriarch of the place was following me.

IMGP3015ebws.jpg

I rather liked the colour for the warm backlighting but there was some nasty artifacts on the right side of her face that were difficult to remove.

IMGP3015es.jpg

SquarePeg said:
New photos only please. Get out there and shoot!

As in go out and MAKE new shots, for this challenge.

I want to remind everyone that this challenge is for new photos only please. The purpose of the challenge is to get people out there shooting.

Yes..current--NEW PHOTOGRAPHS___current, as in made THIS WEEK, expressly for this challenge. Not photos shot in July, or last year, or two years ago.

We all have substantial back catalogs we could cull from to make ourselves "look good", but the majority of us resist posting old images from our back catalogs. You know, because we read the rules and we follow them. We do not (well, most of us at least) read the rules and deliberately ignore them and post old photos that have no connection to the weekly challenges.

I have some nice B&W shots taken about three years ago that I re-processed last Saturday. But I'm not going to post them because they were shot three years ago.

Most reactions

Back