Weekly challenge 3/30 - 4/5 A passion for purple

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This week's challenge is to use purple as the subject or accent within your photos. Look for shades of purple in your everyday life or create purple still life scenes or use filters and other post processing adjustments to incorporate purple into your submissions.

Some suggestions to find the color purple - flowers, sunrise and sunsets, candy, clothing, mountains, lights...

Get creative! As always, new photos only. Get out there and shoot.

Some instructional and inspirational links:
Create Amazing Sunsets with Lightroom's Split Toning Tool

How to get Beautiful Purple-Grad Sunset Colors in Seconds! – Lightroom Tutorials

Life in Color: Purple, Purple Pictures -- National Geographic

I'm reading the first link of yours Sharon and chuckled as within it was a link to "getting the right colour balance in your shots."

Wikipedia defines Purple as a range of hues occurring between red and blue. Color theory defines it as any colors on the line of purples on the CIE chromaticity diagram (or colors that can be derived from colors on the line of purples). Short definition - If it's not red or blue then it's purple. LOL

Morning Purple -
Morning Purple by William Raber, on Flickr

Wikipedia defines Purple as a range of hues occurring between red and blue. Color theory defines it as any colors on the line of purples on the CIE chromaticity diagram (or colors that can be derived from colors on the line of purples). Short definition - If it's not red or blue then it's purple. LOL

Morning Purple -

Lovely flower shot! I was wondering if there was going to be the debate on pink - red - purple in this thread :)

What about the lavender/purple issue? Where does lavender end, and purple begin?

Lovely flower shot! I was wondering if there was going to be the debate on pink - red - purple in this thread

Yup wasn't going down that road, I sampled "a" (not telling which) flower in the image to get the hex code to be sure. #923981 Color Hex :allteeth:

Last edited:
What about the lavender/purple issue? Where does lavender end, and purple begin?

All shades of purple are welcome here, even Smoke’s pinkish purple flowers.

Morning Purple -
I see red in the center. You’re disqualified. Sorry, Smoke.

Cheating a little since I took this last week but I didn’t edit it until today.

All shades of purple are welcome even "bluish" purple flowers :cool-98:

purple hearts - 1.jpg

- Purple Hearts -

Cheating a little since I took this last week but I didn’t edit it until today.

All shades of purple are welcome even "bluish" purple flowers :cool-98:

That is purple not blue. You may need to calibrate. HHahahhahahaha

I beg to differ, it depends on where you sample. Nature doesn't paint in one color. Your Flower by the numbers ranges from #653ce2 medium blue to #7B5BEC slate blue, to #A57CFC bright purple, to #BD7CF4 a violet, and everything in between. Going back to my original definition "as a range of hues occurring between red and blue", the Iris leans more toward the blue side of the line, while my example was more toward the red. Monitor calibrated weekly. :biggrin-93:

Most reactions

Back