The Coffee House

I don’t travel well, beyond a couple hundred miles. I’d love to get to Ireland and Scotland but don’t really see it happening. Maybe a few trips to the Maritimes after we relocate to New England.
Ireland was so pretty. The flight from Boston wasn’t bad.

course, all of this is based on my keeping healthy.

We found out the hard way how bad things can turn. A year after I retired DW was diagnosed with cancer. Medical bills for Cancer, seem to have no ceiling, rapidly costing hundreds of thousands, even with good insurance, the copays and incidentals can become huge.

Ongoing arguments in Ontario over seepage of private clinics into our public system for high-demand procedures. Age-related orthopedic surgeries(knees, hips, backs)all have waiting lists many are willing to jump for a price offshore. Local clinics want a piece of it but so far aren't making much progress.

I'm sure Canada, like the U.S., has an aging population. It's only going to be more of the same. The last time I looked (pre-pandemic), heart disease (attacks and strokes) had been replaced by cronic diseases as number one COD.

We found out the hard way how bad things can turn. A year after I retired DW was diagnosed with cancer. Medical bills for Cancer, seem to have no ceiling, rapidly costing hundreds of thousands, even with good insurance, the copays and incidentals can become huge.
The one benefit that is paying for delayed gratification by serving 20 years is the Tricare coverage. With that as a secondary, so far we have been spared major expenses. Another reason to stay employed a while more.

I'm sure Canada, like the U.S., has an aging population. It's only going to be more of the same. The last time I looked (pre-pandemic), heart disease (attacks and strokes) had been replaced by cronic diseases as number one COD.
While services are available, they're not always close. Our national population is just shy of California's alone. We're spread out beyond a few major cities. The public system does monitor and catch many issues early and efforts are supported to help seniors "age in place." Maintaining health and some dignity matter.

Gonna make 2 tasty & delicious sandwiches and have another mushy hunt for a few hours, also got lettuce to feed the swans too🤪.

Family in Oklahoma, Ohio and Michigan got through the storms and tornadoes OK. How are the southern US folks ?

It's been hot for a couple days but now cooling off as the storms out of the south get closer. A chance for severe weather, later today, and rain through next week and beyond.

Peoneys are blooming.

IMG_1188.JPG

Last edited:
How are the southern US folks ?

Most of the bad stuff went North of us. They got hit hard along the AL/TN border. So far we're only getting rain.

Just a lot of rain here yesterday. Gorgeous out today! So nice that I took a last minute day off from work. I’ll be out in the garden planting my dahlias if you need me!

Its a chilly day so I made chili this morning to have for dinner tonight. I bought this random green pepper that's in the shape of a Jalapeno but half the size, the label said "assorted peppers" no idea what it was. But I cut it up and added it. Tried a few raw pieces and its been eh close to an hour and I still feel it burning in my mouth. I think this chili might be too 🥵🥵

Might have ruined it 😔

Its a chilly day so I made chili this morning to have for dinner tonight. I bought this random green pepper that's in the shape of a Jalapeno but half the size, the label said "assorted peppers" no idea what it was. But I cut it up and added it. Tried a few raw pieces and its been eh close to an hour and I still feel it burning in my mouth. I think this chili might be too 🥵🥵

Might have ruined it 😔
That would be Serrano peppers if they look like Jalapeños but are smaller. Good stuff! Just discovered that Heinz makes a Habanero infused ketchup, yum!!!

Most reactions

Back