Struggling processing this photo - Autumn Old Tractor

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this photo while out for a walk last fall when the leaves were starting to change quickly. I like the photo mostly, I took probably 30 photos trying to find the right spot and settle on this and tried framing it with a tree in the foreground but I can't seem to get it to look in a way that I liked. I tried a number of edits and even tried it in black and white.

So i thought maybe for a learning experience I can share the raw file here and if you'd like to edit it and share your results, perhaps I could learn something.

Here is the picture straight out of the camera. (Nikon Z6II + 24-70 f/4 S)

Erwin-231005-85890.jpg

Here's a link to my Google Drive for the NEF file.

(Hopefully this works...always seems to have issues sharing things with OneDrive or Google Drive).

Last edited:
For me, there is nothing wrong with the viewpoint, the composition or the colours/saturation. My only thought (...and it's a bit nit picking) is that I don't like disembodied branches hanging into the frame (on the RHS). Apart from that and tidying up some distracting highlights and perhaps recovering some of the engine shadow detail, I would be very happy with this if it were mine. Modified in accordance with my comments, it would look like:

Erwin-231005-85890.jpg

Hope this helps.

I like John's edit on this nice shot. The removal of the greenery on the right side opens the image up. I would probably bring the left in and crop out the green grass patch, because I think it takes away from the attention to the subject, the tractor. Bring the left in just enough to eliminate the bright green patch on the left of the tree.

My contribution, (no bricks or bottles please!)

Most reactions

Back