Sony 85mm F1.8 Lens

RonAlv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was out this past weekend learning what my Sony 85mm f1.8 lens can do. For some reason, I like this shot. Though I have really never shot automobiles before.

i-qDJqMHf-XL.jpg

Was out this past weekend learning what my Sony 85mm f1.8 lens can do. For some reason, I like this shot. Though I have really never shot automobiles before.
i-qDJqMHf-L.jpg

Well, I guess my image is to large of a file. 5.5 megs? Saw the image in preview, but not seeing it here.

Yes...TPF has a file storage size limit....even my iPhone SE's straight out of camera JPEGs are too large to be posted here. Your car photo does appear in your Test Photo post from 6 December, 2018, here: https://photos.smugmug.com/2018-Bee...how/i-R2BRM4V/0/e8830741/M/DSC04633-001-M.jpg

A modern, autofocusing 85mm f/1.8 prime lens is a really wonderful thing. I have owned one in Canon EF mount, one in the Nikon AF series, and one in the latest Nikon AF-S series, and all three were sharp,compact, affordable, and easy to carry.

The thing I like most about an 85/1.8 is how fast the maximum aperture is...and stopped down a little bit, the optical quality is quite high, dareso I say better than any zoom lens performs at f/2.8. And on a 1.5x or 1.6x APS-C sensor camera, an 85mm gives a pretty good telephoto angle of view, and gives the photographer the chance to capture a crisp image, even in poor lighting conditions.

Loved my 85 1.8 AF-S on the D7000...

For Sony there are a few good 85mm options. After a lot of debate between the 85/1.4, 85/1.8, and the Sigma 85/1.4 Art, and trying them all out in store, I decided on the 85/1.8. The GM is an excellent lens, but as someone pointed out, it’s not 300% better than the 85/1.8, which it’s about 300% the price of. The Sigma is a great lens, but it’s a very heavy lens. If it were just being used in studio, on a tripod, then no problem, but for all purpose being out and about as well as in studio, the one I got was a great compromise, and one I’m very happy with.

This was shot with the Sony FE85 f1.8 lens on my Sony A7 Mii

DSC01612A1-M.jpg

I personally believe that a "small", discreet 85mm is, in many social situations, better than a big, fat, bulky 85mm f/1.4 or f/1.2 lens.

Far Left: NIKKOR AF-D 85mm f/1.4, Middle NIKKOR AF-S G 85mm f/1.8, R Right, NIKKOR 85mm Ai-S 85mm f/2

Attachments

• DSC_4933_85mm trio.jpg
    DSC_4933_85mm trio.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back