Shooting events

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At the beginning of the year I started making my photography hobby, into a business.

So far I have a website up (March 5th). I have prints posted for sale. I have done minor advertising though my FB and IG friends. Got nice business cards. Blog and/or post pictures at least weekly on my site and social media. In a month or so when I get things a bit more refined, I plan on doing a big social media push.

Now my next move is how to actually generate some more income from it. I know the real money is usually found in weddings, but that is an area that I am very unlikely to venture into, unless it is as a second shooter.

I have started into some senior pictures, People help... (updated 3-27) which I know at some point I can start charging for.

Have any of you done any kind of event shooting and had success selling either digital or prints? We have lots of events in our small community, fairs, shooting (gun) events, car shows, ect. I was thinking about shooting pictures at some of them. Both just general shots of the show and random people, along with asking some people if they would like to pose for pictures. I would then advertise on FB and IG for people to check for their pics. This would draw visitors to my site and on my sale page I would have digital downloads for a few $.

The other type would be a dedicated event photographer. A friend of mine has set up a 2 day shooting competition with the proceeds going to American Freedom Fund for veteran suicide prevention. Basically I would take photos, and maybe video/drone, then set it up for digital downloads for $.

Is there another way to generate income from these types of events?

Basically I would take photos, and maybe video/drone, then set it up for digital downloads for $.
This sounds like a good way to not make any money.

You say weddings are where the real money is, but I think the real money is in making one superb photograph and selling it thousands of times. If you can make more than one, and still sell thousands of prints, as well as the publishing rights, then you're on your way to a successful business.

At the event, make outstanding photographs and sell the best of them hundreds of times. Think about what photograph will be one that nearly everyone who attends will want.

Get that photograph.

Sell it to everybody.

When I do events, I get paid by the event. If the event is in the nature of something formal (reunion, etc), than I set up my portrait station, and do formal portraits for $25-50 each (depending on the payment structure with the event organizers). I generally retain the right to sell images to the attendees of the event, but I doubt I've ever sold more than a couple of hundred dollars worth of those at any event.

The other thing I do a LOT of (far more than my account things is appropriate) is charity work, specifically for Veteran-related charities. When you're working for/in support of these events, you're not there to make money. You're there to support the event, and if you're LUCKY, you get expenses back. Every year I go on the road for a week with the Wounded Warrior Run, BC- a group raising money for PTSD programs to support Veterans and first responders. I get hotel rooms, a car and gas, some of my meals. Other than that, everything comes out of my pocket; gear, snacks, etc. DO NOT get into charitable work thinking you can make money; get in to it because you believe in the cause and want to support it.

Basically I would take photos, and maybe video/drone, then set it up for digital downloads for $.
This sounds like a good way to not make any money.

You say weddings are where the real money is, but I think the real money is in making one superb photograph and selling it thousands of times. If you can make more than one, and still sell thousands of prints, as well as the publishing rights, then you're on your way to a successful business.

At the event, make outstanding photographs and sell the best of them hundreds of times. Think about what photograph will be one that nearly everyone who attends will want.

Get that photograph.

Sell it to everybody.

I said weddings is usually where real money is found. I said that based on what have watched and read, it seems like the vast majority of photographers use that to fund the kind of photography they really want to do.

I will try to find that one that everyone wants.

In my experience and experience of my friends the photographer is successful when he has at least an average portfolio. Each client wants to see what you are capable of, look at your style, he needs an example of your work, and the more the better and the most important that fotos must be good and high quality.My friend already has a successful photographer, but when she started she just photographed a lot. She asked me and our friends to pose for her, photographed holidays and birthdays of relatives and friends (of course for free) took pictures on the road and even just people on the street.
She just collected a portfolio, she retoucher foto and selected the best pictures. Then she created web site and uploaded them there, made an advertisement in social networks and she had orders for the shooting, also you need not forget about the technique need good equipment and preferably studio.
it was her way and I think he is quite successful and simple, I wish you success !

As of right now I am not necessarily looking at a building a client base that comes to me for their portraiture. I am looking at doing nature, landscape, travel type photography. It is still important to capture amazing images, but the client sees exactly what they are buying.

When I do events, I get paid by the event. If the event is in the nature of something formal (reunion, etc), than I set up my portrait station, and do formal portraits for $25-50 each (depending on the payment structure with the event organizers). I generally retain the right to sell images to the attendees of the event, but I doubt I've ever sold more than a couple of hundred dollars worth of those at any event.

The other thing I do a LOT of (far more than my account things is appropriate) is charity work, specifically for Veteran-related charities. When you're working for/in support of these events, you're not there to make money. You're there to support the event, and if you're LUCKY, you get expenses back. Every year I go on the road for a week with the Wounded Warrior Run, BC- a group raising money for PTSD programs to support Veterans and first responders. I get hotel rooms, a car and gas, some of my meals. Other than that, everything comes out of my pocket; gear, snacks, etc. DO NOT get into charitable work thinking you can make money; get in to it because you believe in the cause and want to support it.

When you say you are working for/in support of these events, but hope to get your expenses back, where do those funds come from?

I am not likely to shoot something that I am not wanting to support.

I said weddings is usually where real money is found.
Certainly! But let me walk it through with you; ( The actual wedding professionals on here will correct me where I am wrong.)

There is a wide range of wedding photographers who range in price/skill from rank beginners charging almost nothing, to the haute couture photographers who not only command their price, but in some cases also screen their clients.

Let's consider the average wedding photographer: Full time, providing for a family, possibly paying a helper, meeting office expenses, taxes, insurance, transportation, and putting some aside for future expenses, such as college or retirement.

He must be available for at least two days shooting (engagement, rehearsal, wedding, reception) and possibly two or three days to edit, order albums, track printing and shipping orders, meanwhile making more appointments and site visits.

So he has invested at least a week on each event, not to mention his expenses and his income. Consider the average wedding charges (probably less than $1,000) and he is barely scraping by. Some, of course, charge more like $3,000, but it takes time to work into that.

The top level wedding photographers are more like in the $10,000 range, but as I said; they are in that rarified air of being at the top. They still have expenses (probably more than the mid-range pros) so their income is still not really $10,000 per week.

Meanwhile, a landscape photographer who can sell one image hundreds of times is spending his time out getting the next superb photograph.

Just a thought.

I wasn't clear at first on what you wanted to do. It seemed like you'd been on asking for suggestions related to doing people/portraits or events, then talking about this being a business - that seemed like quite a leap.

However having looked at your site, I can see where your passions are and what your experience has been. The people section of your portfolio is not quite at the same level (yet anyway) as the rest, which include some excellent photos. I see inconsistency with people photos; the pictures of a single person outdoors are nice, but the others need work on vantage point and perspective and framing and backgrounds. Same with the senior portraits you posted - nice color etc. but some show a need to think about backgrounds and framing and using space. You might want to learn more about composition and balance, etc. once you put people into the scene.

I learned to go for a 'clean' composition; some of your people photos seem 'cluttered'. If something is in the frame it should be part of the scene; if not, keep it out of the frame (watch for things sticking in the sides/corners; I found I had to notice things like big trash cans, etc.). Signage should be straight and readable. If you go to events where attendees can bring cameras I'd suggest practicing and learning how to frame shots quickly as things are happening. Go early and figure out vantage points, notice backgrounds and where you'd want to be to take photos. I found it took a lot of practice. A LOT!

You could get on American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or PPA to start figuring out everything that would be involved in photography as a business (even if it's a sideline or part time work). If you wanted to do photos for a charitable cause and donate your time, etc. of course that's up to the photographer. I'd suggest you learn more about marketing, etc. - ASMP does webinars, you don't have to be a member, sign up and they email you the link to watch it.

I don't know in your area how much opportunity there would be to shoot events for clients and be paid a decent rate. Seems like there are often events looking for someone with a camera to do it for free; and if it's free or cheap, people seem to find mediocre photos acceptable (or try to edit themselves). That seems to be the challenge these days, and I think you'd need to bring up your skill level in that specific area of photography to have a chance at it. It would probably be a matter of finding an event that would pay you or give you permission to set up and sell photos. I would think it would need to be an event that is significant to people in attendance, or have celebrities or sports figures, etc., that people would want to buy pictures.

I said weddings is usually where real money is found.
Certainly! But let me walk it through with you; ( The actual wedding professionals on here will correct me where I am wrong.)

Just a thought.

I don't disagree with your thought at all. I do know there are people who make it in landscape and other non-client based shooting (not sure what to call it).

My original comment was based on the last 6 months of reading blogs and watching videos about photography and the type I am interested in. I would say 75% percent of the things I read or saw said where they made their money was in weddings, which supported the type of photography they really wanted to do. That is why I made that statement, which it sounds like is apparently incorrect.

I wasn't clear at first on what you wanted to do. It seemed like you'd been on asking for suggestions related to doing people/portraits or events, then talking about this being a business - that seemed like quite a leap.

Yes, that would have been quite a leap. I have literally done 4 people/portrait shoots, and they are all on the thread on this site. I am looking to improve my skill all around, and it would be a good one to have. I have no aspirations of shooting people as a business anytime soon. I just fell into the same trap I believe many photographers do. Friends and family know you have good equipment and like your photography so they think you can shoot people. Since I have been asked and I want to branch out, I gave it a try. Now I am learning and will try again and again.

I am mostly interested in landscape, wildlife and SCUBA and my normal life allows me to do that kind of photography.

However having looked at your site, I can see where your passions are and what your experience has been. The people section of your portfolio is not quite at the same level (yet anyway) as the rest, which include some excellent photos. I see inconsistency with people photos; the pictures of a single person outdoors are nice, but the others need work on vantage point and perspective and framing and backgrounds. Same with the senior portraits you posted - nice color etc. but some show a need to think about backgrounds and framing and using space. You might want to learn more about composition and balance, etc. once you put people into the scene.

Thank you for the feedback. The people section, with the exception of the senior shots, with the disclaimer, have all been candids that are better then cell phone.

Adding people, or shooting the person as the focus point is very new to me, and I also find it very challenging. I have been reading and watching as much as I can about it. I came to this site to try to learn more.

I learned to go for a 'clean' composition; some of your people photos seem 'cluttered'. If something is in the frame it should be part of the scene; if not, keep it out of the frame (watch for things sticking in the sides/corners; I found I had to notice things like big trash cans, etc.). Signage should be straight and readable. If you go to events where attendees can bring cameras I'd suggest practicing and learning how to frame shots quickly as things are happening. Go early and figure out vantage points, notice backgrounds and where you'd want to be to take photos. I found it took a lot of practice. A LOT!

All great advice that I will work on.

You could get on American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or PPA to start figuring out everything that would be involved in photography as a business (even if it's a sideline or part time work). If you wanted to do photos for a charitable cause and donate your time, etc. of course that's up to the photographer. I'd suggest you learn more about marketing, etc. - ASMP does webinars, you don't have to be a member, sign up and they email you the link to watch it.

Of course I always learn as much as I can to improve, plus things change over time. My wife has a degree in finance and my family has run a few business over the years. I am licensed, I have business accounts, I am doing basic "word of mouth" marketing as I am still finding little things that need adjusting on my site. It has only been live 3.5 weeks. I need to get some more photos up and add some more fine details. I am going to do a couple of big pushes right before one of our local fairs where I will have a vendor booth with prints for sale. I am also getting ready to hit up some local businesses to display some pieces. I have a friend that takes care of social media for several of the ones that would be right for my work. Of course I am set up with a few social media sites.

I don't know in your area how much opportunity there would be to shoot events for clients and be paid a decent rate. Seems like there are often events looking for someone with a camera to do it for free; and if it's free or cheap, people seem to find mediocre photos acceptable (or try to edit themselves). That seems to be the challenge these days, and I think you'd need to bring up your skill level in that specific area of photography to have a chance at it. It would probably be a matter of finding an event that would pay you or give you permission to set up and sell photos. I would think it would need to be an event that is significant to people in attendance, or have celebrities or sports figures, etc., that people would want to buy pictures.

I live in a rural, economically depressed area. There are 2 main kinds of people here. Ones that have good jobs and want to live here because they like it. The others are broke and live here because it is cheaper then many other places.

You are right, finding the right price range and quality is hard. I am not sure where to start, which is one of the reasons I asked here. Getting paying events would likely be hard here, but will be harder until I have a portfolio of similar work to show.

I am attending 3 of our local community events as a vendor this year, which are set up with crafts, food, wood work, jewelry, ect.

At the beginning of the year I started making my photography hobby, into a business.

So far I have a website up (March 5th). I have prints posted for sale. I have done minor advertising though my FB and IG friends. Got nice business cards. Blog and/or post pictures at least weekly on my site and social media. In a month or so when I get things a bit more refined, I plan on doing a big social media push.

Now my next move is how to actually generate some more income from it. I know the real money is usually found in weddings, but that is an area that I am very unlikely to venture into, unless it is as a second shooter.

I have started into some senior pictures, People help... (updated 3-27) which I know at some point I can start charging for.

Have any of you done any kind of event shooting and had success selling either digital or prints? We have lots of events in our small community, fairs, shooting (gun) events, car shows, ect. I was thinking about shooting pictures at some of them. Both just general shots of the show and random people, along with asking some people if they would like to pose for pictures. I would then advertise on FB and IG for people to check for their pics. This would draw visitors to my site and on my sale page I would have digital downloads for a few $.

The other type would be a dedicated event photographer. A friend of mine has set up a 2 day shooting competition with the proceeds going to American Freedom Fund for veteran suicide prevention. Basically I would take photos, and maybe video/drone, then set it up for digital downloads for $.

Is there another way to generate income from these types of events?

If you could snag a Santas grotto number thats a handy one.

People are no longer very interested in buying photos from many types of events...they often already have photos,taken by themselves, or friends or family, on smartphone cameras. Of course, there are always exceptions, but image sales of "events" have become less of a thing, now that more and more people have smartphones, and photos are valued for their _immediate_, on-the-spot availability for sharing, either on social media, or directly shared person-to-person either in e-mail or by text.

One way to get payed for shooting public events is to become a regular contributor to a local-area newspaper, like one of the 18 or so newspapers that Pamplin Media Group publishes. I used to shoot for two of their local newspapers, concurrently. You get payed per-event, and per photo used (every,single use of the image). You get a press credential, and entry to a lot of events, and the images you shoot have secondary value to you. Contact one of their papers in the area, or another newspaper publishing group.

Just something to think about.

For commercial drone work, you NEED to check the FAA regulations.
Drone photography crosses into regulated air space, where the FAA calls the shots.
The primary driver is aircraft safety. There have already been drone/aircraft mid-air collisions. It is only a matter of time, before there is a fatal mid-air collision.

When I read the rules, there were 2 things that stuck out.
- Certification required for non-hobby/recreational flying.
The brief look that I had of the certification requirements was that, it will take a LOT of study to pass it.
Certification requires renewal every two years.​
- CANNOT fly over people.
So forget shooting at events, unless you can do it at an angle.
This is a safety requirement. If the drone crashes, people can get hurt.
There are a LOT of people who ignore the FAA rules.
But if they get caught, it is a fine or a day in federal court.

Then there are local statutes to comply with.

Already well beyond that.

The test does not appear to be that hard, other then me finding time to go do it.

No different then another type of specialty business license. It is the cost of doing business.

Just like any other business, you need to research all the rules and regulations or you could find yourself in a world of lawsuits or fines.

Already well beyond that.

The test does not appear to be that hard, other then me finding time to go do it.

No different then another type of specialty business license. It is the cost of doing business.

Just like any other business, you need to research all the rules and regulations or you could find yourself in a world of lawsuits or fines.

Kudos to you.
Too many people trying to get by without doing it properly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back