SB-800 or Sigma 10-20

ognistik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok. I am not comparing both things because I know they are completely different things but right now I can afford getting one or the other. Probably some months later I will be able to get the other one, but at the time being, what do you think would be the best.

I have a tamron zoom lens (not so good)... a 70 - 300 tamron telephoto (not so good either)... the nikkor 50 1.8 (my best lens so far)...

I have no external flash... but I am wondering if getting a good lens like Sigma 10-20 would be better now instead of getting the flash that will allow me more stuff in photography.... so hard to decide... what do you guys think

I would say neither and get yourself an 18-70 and SB-600.

With CLS you can use the 600 off camera and the 18-70 will give you a midrange which (I don't know about you) Is VERY useful.

Basically, really wide angle, or off camera flash?

If you had a midrange, 18-55, 18-70, 18-135, 17-55, than i'd say the speedlight.

I think you should cut your losses and go half way with the SB-600 and 18-70 unless you only shoot one portrait once a year and only do landscape/cityscape.

i agree with switch. maybe a used sb800 if you could find one. or the 600 + 18-70.

I would say neither and get yourself an 18-70 and SB-600.

With CLS you can use the 600 off camera and the 18-70 will give you a midrange which (I don't know about you) Is VERY useful.

Basically, really wide angle, or off camera flash?

If you had a midrange, 18-55, 18-70, 18-135, 17-55, than i'd say the speedlight.

I think you should cut your losses and go half way with the SB-600 and 18-70 unless you only shoot one portrait once a year and only do landscape/cityscape.

Depends on the body. I don't believe that the pop-up will function as a commander with anything less than a D80 so he might have the need to get TWO 600s.

Depends on the body. I don't believe that the pop-up will function as a commander with anything less than a D80 so he might have the need to get TWO 600s.

I use it all the time on my D70! It's the 60's,50's, and the 40's that don't.

Remeber that if you get the 10-20 you wont be able to use the on camera flash becuase there will be a big shadow at the bottom of the picture.

Also ask yourself if you really need the sb-800, a sb-400 might be just as good if you dont need the extra feautures.

Also ask yourself if you really need the sb-800, a sb-400 might be just as good if you dont need the extra feautures.

The horizontal axis of the 600's and 800's make them worth the extra money.

I have the Sigma 10-20 and the SB600. If I had to choose one, I would keep the 10-20, only since I love wide angle landscape photography. If you're more into indoors and portraits, then for sure the flash is the way to go.

It is true that if you use the pop-up flash with the 10-20, you will get a shadow from the lens hood. I haven't tested it without the hood attached, I'll try that and post some pics for you.

If you go with the flash, I think there is no need to get the SB800. Get the SB600 now, and if you want to use it as a slave later, you can get an SB800 which will trigger the SB600 wirelessly.

...he might have the need to get TWO 600s.

If I am not mistaken, the SB-600 cannot serve as a commander. He would be stuck needing the SB-800 or SU-800 (or anything from a D80 to a D300) as a commander. This has come up once before, I need to check into this... gimme a second... Oh crap, I have to use Ken Rockwell's site as proof... lol

No, the SB-600 cannot be used as a commander to trigger remote Nikon lights. Link HERE.

As far as my opinion on which you should get, get BOTH, but since you can get only one for now, I say get the 10-20mm Sigma *if* you take a lot of landscapes or indoor pics in well lit areas. If you are more into portraiture, you should consider getting the SB-800 becuase it will make a HUGE difference in your shots taken in low light areas.

What kind of camera do you use and what kinds of picstures do you like to take most?

If I am not mistaken, the SB-600 cannot serve as a commander. He would be stuck needing the SB-800 or SU-800 (or anything from a D80 to a D300) as a commander. This has come up once before, I need to check into this... gimme a second... Oh crap, I have to use Ken Rockwell's site as proof... lol

No, the SB-600 cannot be used as a commander to trigger remote Nikon lights. Link HERE.

As far as my opinion on which you should get, get BOTH, but since you can get only one for now, I say get the 10-20mm Sigma *if* you take a lot of landscapes or indoor pics in well lit areas. If you are more into portraiture, you should consider getting the SB-800 becuase it will make a HUGE difference in your shots taken in low light areas.

What kind of camera do you use and what kinds of picstures do you like to take most?

I dislike being wrong but I really hate when I'm caught at it!

That pretty much makes multiple flash on the 40/40X/60 quite expensive!

Right now I have a D70s - and also use an F100 for film often - ... I really take all kind of photos. I like using people as the main subject of photography - from portraits to Street Photography -. I also do landscape but not as often. I've seen pictures taken with the 10-20 and it's awesome not just for landscape, it may as well be great for street photo.

Buying the SB-600 first and then, if needed, an 800 is a very good idea. Thanks guys. I think I will go for the flash first and, hopefully soon, I will be able to get the lens.

Just to pitch in an option here, have you seen this site? http://strobist.blogspot.com/

BTW, the 18-70mm is a great lens and you can get them for under $200 on e-bay if you shop. A SB 28/80 DX should give TTL on camera and a $20 photoelectric trigger and a $40 light stand will give you off camera capability (manual is NOT hard to work out and is really consistent).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back