Post counts in OT and Gaming Room forums

Speaking of hiding forums, I would like to see the meetup forum hidden from non members...

Oh, now that you mention it, Andy: it was a great concern of mine, indeed, that while we were in the planning stages of the Germany meet-up, and I posted maps to help people find their way here, that just about EVERYONE would be able to study those maps and come and ... do whatever. What do I know. Nothing of the kind happened, but I was wondering back then: how much can I reveal to help people decide and how much needs to stay hidden from an ALL-public view as not to put ourselves into any possible danger?

Ah, and as to post counts, so that everyone knows once and for all:
I like mine :biggrin: !!!

anyway, i totally understand this recent change.
after all this is a photography forum. it is great,that gaming is allowed, and also i do it on occasions, or join in some senseless silly rant threads, but it is not what the forum really is about.

For new members, and the first weeks they are actively around, post count of others is the only way how they judge some advice they get from the respective member. I am not saying that newbies do not use their brain, but they might be more suspicious to follow advice from a member with just 1 post compared to a member with say 500 posts. I know this is in principle wrong, but it is the only possibility for someone just starting here.

And for this reason it makes sense to have the postcount concentrate more on the photography related posts.

I know this forum is run by admins and mods, but there is quite a strong group of senior members who really help the place running smoothly since members, in particular new members, listen to them. So I suspect taking postcounts away totally would result in much more work for the mods in the end.

For new members, and the first weeks they are actively around, post count of others is the only way how they judge some advice they get from the respective member.
[...]
So I suspect taking post counts away totally would result in much more work for the mods in the end.
Do you think just showing the join date would accomplish the same thing, or not quite?

Do you think just showing the join date would accomplish the same thing, or not quite?

hmm, so i join to sell a lens now, and a year later i have my second post on the forum, maybe selling another lens, or telling people whatever. Life is easy then for me since I am one of the experienced and active members.

Might not be the worst model, but no, I do not think it would accomplish the same.

Good point, I didn't think of that scenario.

anyway, i totally understand this recent change.
after all this is a photography forum. it is great,that gaming is allowed, and also i do it on occasions, or join in some senseless silly rant threads, but it is not what the forum really is about.

For new members, and the first weeks they are actively around, post count of others is the only way how they judge some advice they get from the respective member. I am not saying that newbies do not use their brain, but they might be more suspicious to follow advice from a member with just 1 post compared to a member with say 500 posts. I know this is in principle wrong, but it is the only possibility for someone just starting here.

And for this reason it makes sense to have the postcount concentrate more on the photography related posts.

I know this forum is run by admins and mods, but there is quite a strong group of senior members who really help the place running smoothly since members, in particular new members, listen to them. So I suspect taking postcounts away totally would result in much more work for the mods in the end.

Actually, more accurately, Post count paired with join date shows a users dedication to the forum at hand, especially to new users. It's more along the lines of "he has 2000 posts in the last year....He'll be here tommorow to help me again" where as "He has 200 posts in the past three years...um what if I have another question, is he gonna be there to answer it when I need it?". It's a subconsious thing, and you are right, no just the join date will not accomplish the same confidence level.

Actually, more accurately, Post count paired with join date shows a users dedication to the forum at hand, especially to new users. It's more along the lines of "he has 2000 posts in the last year....He'll be here tommorow to help me again" where as "He has 200 posts in the past three years...um what if I have another question, is he gonna be there to answer it when I need it?". It's a subconsious thing, and you are right, no just the join date will not accomplish the same confidence level.

True also, there is many aspects to this.

But there is also a danger ... people with high post counts could easily claim they are the macro god, and many would believe him :lmao: Sorry, just kidding ;) :)

Sounds like the "posts per day" stat (which shows up in your profile). For example, you (Battou) have 10.46 posts per day, while I have 2.36.

-edit-
Wow, Alex has 17.79!

Sounds like the "posts per day" stat (which shows up in your profile). For example, you (Battou) have 10.46 posts per day, while I have 2.36.

-edit-
Wow, Alex has 17.79!

*lol* , that is from some very active times about a year ago. Now i just cannot get rid of the 17 ;)

And no, it is not all gaming ;) you hardly see me there these days.

True also, there is many aspects to this.

But there is also a danger ... people with high post counts could easily claim they are the macro god, and many would believe him :lmao: Sorry, just kidding ;) :)

Can you do macro that close with a Wall-Mart point and shoot. ;)

-edit-
Wow, Alex has 17.79!

Under the new section rules, Mine will prolly drop to around mid to high nines, but anywho, that is a hidden statistic that one has to actually look for and aquire, where as the overall count and join date are right there in the open and available at a glance.

[...]that is a hidden statistic that one has to actually look for and aquire, where as the overall count and join date are right there in the open and available at a glance.
But - it *could* be right out in the open, if those who decided such things decided so.

Oh, now that you mention it, Andy: it was a great concern of mine, indeed, that while we were in the planning stages of the Germany meet-up, and I posted maps to help people find their way here, that just about EVERYONE would be able to study those maps and come and ... do whatever. What do I know. Nothing of the kind happened, but I was wondering back then: how much can I reveal to help people decide and how much needs to stay hidden from an ALL-public view as not to put ourselves into any possible danger?

Ah, and as to post counts, so that everyone knows once and for all:
I like mine :biggrin: !!!

Buy and sell I understand as it would reduce those who do just join to sell and then move on - though it could also be seen that by only allowing members to buy and sell that TPF was making some vetting on members - thus ensuring good sales practice and responcibility - that would have to be firmly outlined as not happening.

As for the meets I disagree here - a lot. I think firstly having meets shown on the public side shows the community we have here - it shows we have darn good one to have so many meets in such a short space of time and that is reflective of the forum as a whole. Plus there are quite a few people who are not paid members who would wish to turn up to these meets - suddenly hiding them away would mean that prospective new members in the futur would have no idea of these meets till a meetup thread appears (which might not even happen as it might appear in the members only section). The result of which is they feel left out of the loop - that they can't penetrate this hard group of select friends.

If you are worried about details and such you could just mass pm them to those who have expressed interest in comming rather than post it in the general forum area

We were just casing the joint out - now we know your guard is down... :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back