Pocketr Wizard, please clarify?

Hmmmmm, let me say what I have seen. You have Receivers (Receive the signal Only) Transmitters (Transmit a Signal only) and Transcievers that can be used as both.
-
-PW Plus were made as both Transmitter and Receiver
-Plus II is a Transciever
--Requires a cable to communicate with your particular light or flash.
-Multi Max is a Transceiver with more bells and whistles. Lets you control different channels and zones as well as Time lapse if into that.
-TT5 is a Transceiver with lots of bells and whistles but also allows iTTL (basically allows flash to function off-camera as it would on-camera) if you need High Speed Sync etc. this is a great plus.
--Requires you have a computer to set the units up to your needs, but a big plus is being able to download the software updates to the units.
You can have say Ch1 act as a normal trigger and have C2 act as if on the camera for iTTL use. (that is the way I have mine set up)
-TT1 basically a Transmitter Only and they call it a mini for a reason , it is small but the battery they selected for this to work is not the best.
--I'm sending mine back and swapping out for another TT5 in it's place, will do the same thing but is a little bigger and uses a "AA" battery like most of the other gear in bag.
-AC3 controller lets you control the output of each flash used off-camera from the camera location. (I have not had a need for this yet, but thinking about it)
-
If all you are looking for is better reliability other than the signal used from commander mode you can go into a cheap trigger system.
If you are planning to make this a business part-time or full time you may as well invest in a system that lets you get a little bit more creative than the Creative Lighting System.
Keep in mind that if a Light meter is in your future as well, Sekonic has made it so you can trigger a PW with your meter by adding a simple card to the meter.
Light/Strobe Manufacturers have added PW capability to their lights as well, and some do have their own triggering systems as well.
You ought to be able to find the older wizards cheaply, they are very reliable.
-
To answer your question, everything fails and having a Transceiver in the bag that can perform a dual function is more of a Plus.....one has to have the options and be able to finish the job as you intended.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Hmmmmm, let me say what I have seen. You have Receivers (Receive the signal Only) Transmitters (Transmit a Signal only) and Transcievers that can be used as both.
-
-Multi Max is a Transceiver with more bells and whistles. Lets you control different channels and zones as well as Time lapse if into that.
-TT5 is a Transceiver with lots of bells and whistles but also allows iTTL (basically allows flash to function off-camera as it would on-camera) if you need High Speed Sync etc. this is a great plus.
--Requires you have a computer to set the units up to your needs, but a big plus is being able to download the software updates to the units.
You can have say Ch1 act as a normal trigger and have C2 act as if on the camera for iTTL use. (that is the way I have mine set up)
-TT1 basically a Transmitter Only and they call it a mini for a reason , it is small but the battery they selected for this to work is not the best.
--I'm sending mine back and swapping out for another TT5 in it's place, will do the same thing but is a little bigger and uses a "AA" battery like most of the other gear in bag.
-AC3 controller lets you control the output of each flash used off-camera from the camera location. (I have not had a need for this yet, but thinking about it)
-
If all you are looking for is better reliability other than the signal used from commander mode you can go into a cheap trigger system.
If you are planning to make this a business part-time or full time you may as well invest in a system that lets you get a little bit more creative than the Creative Lighting System.
Keep in mind that if a Light meter is in your future as well, Sekonic has made it so you can trigger a PW with your meter by adding a simple card to the meter.
Light/Strobe Manufacturers have added PW capability to their lights as well, and some do have their own triggering systems as well.
-
To answer your question, everything fails and having a Transceiver in the bag that can perform a dual function is more of a Plus.....one has to have the options and be able to finish the job as you intended.
-
Shoot well, Joe

I agree, but the watch type battery in the TT1 is part of the reason they could make it so small. I like mine and throw 2 extra of those tiny batteries in the bag. Its an extra PW for me, I use mine all the time and can't see parting with it
bigthumb.gif

I hear you Two-Wheel, but if they are willing to part with the TT5 for the price of the TT1 I'll take it. Not sure if you know but they have a new upgrade right now 6.0 and 3.0 , kind of wish they would also send out an email when the updates happen that way we can read up on the changes as they happen. There is also a REBATE now till November 30th. http://www.pocketwizard.com/25rebate
(Wonder if we could make a section to post Rebates and deals? Coupon section per say) may save some folks a little money.
-

Shoot well, Joe

Last edited:
Wow thats a great deal. Hey thanks for the heads up on the upgrade !

ahh, I think I am just beginning to see the light....uh, no pun intended but it works ;) So damn, now you've pointed me back to the PW$

I use my PW's to trigger my camera when I'm doing rig shots on cars. I've also had a PW in hand trigger the camera and the other PW's on my lights trigger for the photo. That's always a fun trick. Of course, I have 5 PW's. Had 10 at one point, but I got an amazing deal on them and funded more lights.

-
-
-
-
Shoot well, Joe

The AC3 is totally awesome and I HIGHLY recommend it. I actually use it with my Paul Bluff Einsteins and it's made a huge change in my shooting.

The AC3 is totally awesome and I HIGHLY recommend it. I actually use it with my Paul Bluff Einsteins and it's made a huge change in my shooting.

what advantages would the AC3 give me over using the SU-800 when just using hotshoe type flashes? Any?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back