Photoshop vs gimp

Well, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this. PS aficionados may look down their noses at GIMP, but that's not because PS is 'better' than GIMP, it's because they think they're better because they use PS.

But it in fact is better. This is not an opinion. PS did not become the photography standard for no reason. Not saying you cant get good results from gimp but to say that it is as good as PS is an overstatment.

If you want to try something different you could get radlab or oloneo. Both are good and newer software with options different from ps and gimp. Photomatix is also good as well as topaz adjust which is also made by adobe.

Well, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this. PS aficionados may look down their noses at GIMP, but that's not because PS is 'better' than GIMP, it's because they think they're better because they use PS.

But it in fact is better. This is not an opinion. PS did not become the photography standard for no reason. Not saying you cant get good results from gimp but to say that it is as good as PS is an overstatment.

If you want to try something different you could get radlab or oloneo. Both are good and newer software with options different from ps and gimp. Photomatix is also good as well as topaz adjust which is also made by adobe.

Is a new Porsche better than my pickup? My pickup is paid for, so I don't have to make payments. If I bought a Porsche, I'd have to make payments. Fact is, my truck is paid for, and does what I want it to do. I'd like to see someone haul two dozen full sheets of plywood in a Porsche. That does not make my pickup better than a Porsche. Nor is a Porsche better than my truck. It simply means my pickup suits my needs better.

When one is unable/unwilling to pony up for the cost of PS and finds GIMP does all they need to, that makes GIMP the better choice. If GIMP does not perform to one's needs, they can choose to spend money on PS. Not that one is better than the other. It's just a matter of choices.

Adobe makes Topaz Adjust?

Topaz Labs - Company
Topaz Labs is a privately owned company in Dallas, TX, that specializes in
distilling the most advanced developments in imaging technology into useful
software products for photographers and videographers.

a few weeks ago, Photoshop CS5.1 student/teacher edition was available for $39. Just sayin'

You still don't get it...

PS did not become the photography standard for no reason.

We're talking about a singular task here, and the fact is photoshop is more featured then gimp for photography therefore it's usefulness for the task is higher. A hammer and nails for putting nails in a wall isn't going to compare to a nailgun. Arguing that the nailgun isn't better then the hammer just simply because it can't take nails out is going off on a completely unrelated tangent.

No it's not they're better because they use Ps. It's a matter of they use Ps because they're better and need the industry standard.

You might check out Lightroom, its a decent "beginners" editting program. You should be able to get a student discount.

Lightroom is not an editing program. It is a resource management tool.

Lightroom is not an editing program. It is a resource management tool.
That edits. In 16 bit, and without destroying the file.

If your photoshop is destroying the file, you don't know what you're doing :)
Lightroom complements photoshop, it is waaaaay too coarse and clunky to do any actual fine editing. If anything, GIMP is way preferable to Lightroom in terms of editing. Lightroom is really just a great way to keep track of your files and get rid of the ones you don't want.

I started with GIMP and later got CS5. I use them both. I got CS5 thinking it would replace GIMP, and make things easier for me, but that wasnt the case.

If your photoshop is destroying the file, you don't know what you're doing :)
Lightroom complements photoshop, it is waaaaay too coarse and clunky to do any actual fine editing. If anything, GIMP is way preferable to Lightroom in terms of editing. Lightroom is really just a great way to keep track of your files and get rid of the ones you don't want.

I agree 100%. I was just offering an alternative to Gimp :) I prefer photoshop because I'm a control freak, but I have several fellow photographers who do most of their post processing in LR and only a couple images in photoshop.

I am 60% photographer 40% retoucher. I refer to myself as an image creator. I took Photoshop Classes at school so I am very used to the workflow and the keyboard short cuts. There are so many resources and professional associations out there for Photosohp. GIMP is seen more as a hobbyist program.

i only do basic stuff.... i have already decided to just use gimp... i can do everything i need to do and want to do on gimp... including graphic design... though i am still having trouble making curved lines... Any help on that 480 sparky? besides anything it doesnt have that isnt major like 8 bit to 16 bit can be made... that why i like gimp... it is open source.. and thanks to sparky i have TONS of add ons...

Photoshop elements will do pretty much all you need at a lot less cost. Also, Lightroom 4 is only $149 compared to the $300 that Lightroom 3 came out at. It doesn't have all the layers and stuff of a photoshop or elements but it's a great tool for organizing and processing your files...

Most reactions

Back