Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

I did another cherry blossoms painting. This one with ink on tile. Do you think the blossoms need another layer? Or maybe some purple for shadows? Or are the different shades of the pink enough?

IMG_7695.jpeg

@snowbear another challenge this week? Your choice of subject.

I did another cherry blossoms painting. This one with ink on tile. Do you think the blossoms need another layer? Or maybe some purple for shadows? Or are the different shades of the pink enough?

View attachment 274170

@snowbear another challenge this week? Your choice of subject.

Overal I like it, but I struggle with left brain/right brain on abstract and realism, I can't stay middle of the road it's either one or the other. The great detail in the tree, and the abstract nature of the blossoms creates an paradoxical emotion for me. Since you already have the detail in the tree, I'd go for more detail in the blossoms.

Sharon, I like it as it is.

Next challenge: how about fruit?

Overal I like it, but I struggle with left brain/right brain on abstract and realism, I can't stay middle of the road it's either one or the other. The great detail in the tree, and the abstract nature of the blossoms creates an paradoxical emotion for me. Since you already have the detail in the tree, I'd go for more detail in the blossoms.

Sharon, I like it as it is.

Next challenge: how about fruit?

Thanks to you both for the feedback. I may add some tiny white flecks in the bigger blossoms but it’s hard to control the ink for small detail. I’ll probably try it out on a blank tile first since I can wipe it clean when I’m done.

Fruit sounds like a good subject for the next challenge. Anna Mason has a pear lesson that I bought the colors for but haven’t attempted yet. @smoke665 you’re welcome to join in!

I've dug some of the fountain pens out of storage and got a few clkeanbed up. I have a bottle of blue-black ink I go at out favorite upscale flea market/antique shop and I came across a few ink samples. I filled the Delta up with the Mont Blanc Blue-Black, the Lamy Safari with an ink called Gray Flannel and I'm waiting for the last converter to dry and I'll put in some Avacado.

Oh, and I ordered two pens, a cleaning kit, and some ink samples. Just call me inky fingers (again).

cmw3_ip12m_IMG_1163.jpg

I have a couple bananas in the kitchen (I have one every morning with my meds), and I think there are a few peppers in the fridge,

Yes, smoke, join in on the fun.

I've dug some of the fountain pens out of storage and got a few clkeanbed up. I have a bottle of blue-black ink I go at out favorite upscale flea market/antique shop and I came across a few ink samples. I filled the Delta up with the Mont Blanc Blue-Black, the Lamy Safari with an ink called Gray Flannel and I'm waiting for the last converter to dry and I'll put in some Avacado.

Oh, and I ordered two pens, a cleaning kit, and some ink samples. Just call me inky fingers (again).

View attachment 274185
Those colors are gorgeous! I love that blue black.

Fruit, eh? I may go with colored pencils this time - that's a challenge all in its own!

@smoke665 you’re welcome to join in!

Really itching to but I've got to many things pulling on me now to add something else. 2024 is a year of "shedding" things for me.

My preliminary sketch is done. I'll start putting some paint down this evening, after dinner. I'm sticking with the smaller half-letter size sketch pad.

It's only Monday. I was lazy over the weekend - only thought about doing something.

My preliminary sketch is done. I'll start putting some paint down this evening, after dinner. I'm sticking with the smaller half-letter size sketch pad.

I will hopefully have time tomorrow night to get started. I may play around with some ink instead of the watercolor pear..

I had to start over. I went a bit too fast and had brown mix into yellow where I didnt want it. I took a quick reference photo so I can paint tomorrow after work. We will ignore the background.

IMG_1166.jpeg

"Fruits" is done. I don't like the way the shadow on the tangerines came out; I guess the previous layer was still too damp. I could try to lift off the brown but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I used the Crayola paint pans, but I didn't go back to the reference photo. Blue tape to hold down the curling corners. Still a little wet in places so putting under a sheet of glass was out of the question.

IMG_E1172[1].JPG

IMG_E1171[1].JPG

Most reactions

Back