Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

Hmm, that video was a nightmare of music overplaying the narration and an "Oh sh*t" overdub coming in. :eek: Not working for me!

Anyway, your explanation above is thorough. About what I'd heard, as far as a process that requires patience and a light touch. It really looks gorgeous when done well, and yours is gorgeous. I would imagine that the repetitive nature of the wash/sand/repeat process is enjoyable and calming. I have used rubber cement for masking with hand coloring - works like a charm, and cheap! :)

I don't hear anything other than the artist talking. Maybe you had a pop up playing in the background?
Could be. It kinda freaked me out, like a bot attack or something. :lol: I'll try it again with a different browser, could be as simple as that.

So it's like glazing (oils) and the layering that gets done with watercolor, but a much faster drying time.

The portrait is of one of the nieces. The drawing does not do her justice, at all.

cmw3_d750_DSC_3145.jpg

She's lovely! I think your portrait captured her smile and that direct look just fine. :)

She is; she's probably my favorite of the four.

egg tempera. 18 month, commission. maybe my last hand commission in this medium. I delivered it last week. I gave all my art supplies away to my youngest son some time ago, this was the last hanging over my head.

View attachment 188121
Holy crap! Post more!

D.C. Cherry Blossoms (based on an image I took several years ago):

So beautiful. I would get my watercolors out for this one. What a treat!
Thank you! I debated it, but I’m worried I’ll screw it up lol

I debated it, but I’m worried I’ll screw it up lol
Well, I doubt that, but I understand the reluctance not to tamper with a perfectly wonderful ink sketch.

You could try another one, sans ink.

Q: do watercolors even go well over ink? Would they not smear it?

egg tempera. 18 month, commission. maybe my last hand commission in this medium. I delivered it last week. I gave all my art supplies away to my youngest son some time ago, this was the last hanging over my head.

View attachment 188121
Holy crap! Post more!

D.C. Cherry Blossoms (based on an image I took several years ago):

So beautiful. I would get my watercolors out for this one. What a treat!
Thank you! I debated it, but I’m worried I’ll screw it up lol

I am pretty much done for the most part, in my mind anyway. Many years in the game. I was poor in marketing and pride got in the way at times. Pride is not a good thing.

Well, I doubt that, but I understand the reluctance not to tamper with a perfectly wonderful ink sketch.

Maybe I will try another one... my initial thoughts are that because this ink is waterproof, as long as it dried, it’d be ok. The other way to do it would be to do the watercolor first and then ink over it.

India ink is waterproof; probably any printing and lithograph inks, if they are oil based.

Maybe I will try another one... my initial thoughts are that because this ink is waterproof, as long as it dried, it’d be ok. The other way to do it would be to do the watercolor first and then ink over it.
Okay, that makes sense. :) Ink is a mystery to me, but as with any medium, it's all about the approach and how you build a painting.

it's all about the approach and how you build a painting.
Absolutely! I remember reading the DaVinci biography (ok ok, I only got like halfway through it) and being astounded at how he went about painting and learning. I need to revisit that biography at some point.

I remember reading the DaVinci biography
This one, by any chance?? :lol:

da Vinci book.jpg

A Christmas gift from the hubby. I'm classifying it as as one of those "occasional" reads, since it's a somewhat dry, scholarly book. The author has done a lot of research and there's a surprising amount of stuff out there on da Vinci - including what you talked about up there. I'm not halfway through yet, by any means. Sounds like there's more fun stuff ahead for me.

I remember reading the DaVinci biography
This one, by any chance?? :lol:

View attachment 188285

A Christmas gift from the hubby. I'm classifying it as as one of those "occasional" reads, since it's a somewhat dry, scholarly book. The author has done a lot of research and there's a surprising amount of stuff out there on da Vinci - including what you talked about up there. I'm not halfway through yet, by any means. Sounds like there's more fun stuff ahead for me.
That’s the one! Lol I had the audiobook version on loan from the library, and then it was due back. I had to decide between that or starting another. I needed a break, haha, so I started another. It’s incredibly detailed and a really awesome read. Just a bit dry at times.

Nice sketch Wade. I've used Micron? pens that look similar, in colors (can't think offhand who makes those) to make quilt labels. I can draw/pencil sketch but really don't, I'm more into fabric/needle work, quilting/applique and embroidery, etc.

I think we all might be staying in and staying home and have time to spend on artwork, crafts, etc. for awhile. Should be no problem with this creative group!

I'm more into fabric/needle work, quilting/applique and embroidery, etc.
Thanks! My wife is into knitting and cross-stitching, and she’s recently started getting into fabric/quilting. She took a class on how to use her sewing machine recently.

Most reactions

Back